Model D service

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
the art of noise

Model D service

Post by the art of noise » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:15 am

I got my Model D (from 1977) one year ago. The seller told me it was never serviced, but I did replace the key bushings after I got it. Last week I took it to a tech to re-cap, clean and calibrate it. He offered two types of el. capacitors, standard and Panasonic. Apparently the standard ones are warmer and the D will sound closer to what it sounds like now, whereas the Panasonic ones can make it sound aggressive with more high end and bass aswell. With this in mind, I'd prefer the standard ones I guess?

Any ideas/advice?

till

Re: Model D service

Post by till » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 pm

A brandname for the capacitors changing the sound of the minimoog? Never heard about this. If the capacitors are from the same type and value, you won't hear a difference.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

the art of noise

Post by the art of noise » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Well, apparently the Panasonic ones are more 'hi-fi' and can result in a more aggressive tone, compared to the standard ones. I'm also a bit puzzled by this, that's why I posted here, to hopefully get some advice. Thanks!

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Your tech sounds like a guitar player. There are a lot of myths being perpetuated around guitar circles like certain brand names of capacitors sounding more aggressive more high end more bass. I'm an EE and I can tell you that is pure unadulterated snake oil. As long as the dielectric and value of caps is maintained, you won't hear a difference. To be fair, there are lousy brands out there but you're unlikely to see them in pro audio gear. There's a reason why I quit hanging out on guitar discussion boards.

Sometimes a crappy capacitor can result in "aggressive" tone. The AC coupling cap after the VCA on my OBX voicecards are tantalums, which are the last type you want in the audio chain. But the OBX is renowned for its dirty aggressive tone and I made it a point to retain them when I restored my OBX. High fidelity is not always the best.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:24 pm

MC wrote:Your tech sounds like a guitar player. There are a lot of myths being perpetuated around guitar circles like certain brand names of capacitors sounding more aggressive more high end more bass. I'm an EE and I can tell you that is pure unadulterated snake oil.
He speaks the truth!

As someone who has replaced caps on Mini boards at least 2 dozen times (I never counted), I know that all that matters is that the caps are the right value, voltage, and installed correctly.
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:59 pm

indeed
having said that , i'd go for the originel ones :-)