Field Upgrade

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
nigeynige

Field Upgrade

Post by nigeynige » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:03 am

Just for those(who like me) purchased a Version 3 field upgrade or are about to purchase one.
I received my digital board 2 months ago, but due to touring and TV work, I haven't really wanted to perform a major bypass on my Voyager during a critical period.
So yesterday I took out the Board from it's bag, opened up the Voyager(i'm no stranger to taking it's clothes off-just not familiar with performing surgery on it). I hadn't noticed until now that the new version 3 Board is HALF THE SIZE of the original digital board. So I removed the screws and connectors, then connected it up.....BUT on the instructions....YOU SEE A FULL SIZE BOARD....but I guessed that the chips were much smaller.
Then it states to replace the SIX SCREWS.....Now there are only 4 holes in the board.I screwed them in and then did the most sensible thing-----
I rang up Jared at Moog and he assured me that it was correct that the board was half the size and it only needed the 4 screws...
Then I powered it up, saw VERSION 3 come up with all the banks, but then needed to calibrate the digital board.
It states that you need to get the voltage to as close to ZERO at 8' as possible when you have one of your multimeter probes on the earth screw and one on the resistor R362. It tells you to alter the trim pot on the digital board VR1, but IT DOESN'T EXIST except only on the old board. It's actually P1. I spoke with Mike Adams about this and they are going to alter the literature regarding this matter.
Hope this helps the newbee voyager surgeons out there.
Nigel Hopkins 8)

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:09 am

who have you been touring with?
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

nigeynige

Nobody special

Post by nigeynige » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:34 am

Goldphinga, I tour a bit across the Uk with various people. Have worked with Elvis Costello at one point, I toured with Martyn Joseph, a Guy called the Mighty wah!, Was in a band called AMSTERDAM. I'm trying to concentrate now on my project because Prog is something I've always loved.It's called Toyshop Murders.
When I do TV work, My Voyager gets its blue lights turned up to the max for camera shots...
in sthe studio, it goes off.

Nige

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:59 pm

Back to the upgrade subject for a minute- I read in older posts people having problems with cables reaching the new, smaller board. Is this still a problem?? I have an older (SN 1255) Performer, it would make me nervous to be putting cables under tension.....

nigeynige

Cables

Post by nigeynige » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:19 am

Well Marzz, The cables are a little tight, but it is possible to get them onto the board.
When I close the Voyager, there is a slight problem with cables crunching and I think I have a brak as my VCA Sustain control flickers and refuses to register until i move the cable. It's a standard connector so i'll replace that when I get 5 minutes.
BE CAREFUL when using P1 as if you don;t have a good multimeter, it's not really gonna measure the voltage well. Also if you check the tuning and the voyager is in from top to bottom of the keyboard, then leave the P1 trim and concentrate on getting the main overall pitch so that the centred tune control is smack on A.
Hope this helps you.
Where are you based? USA, UK?
NIge

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:46 pm

Nige-

I am located in the USA, near Phoenix.I am going to call Moog this week and ask specifically about cable lengths. I am not too afraid of the field upgrade otherwise, I used to try to deal with a CS-80. This should be cake in comparison.....!