New reissue Model D Faulty?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Waza

New reissue Model D Faulty?

Post by Waza » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:55 am

Hi Guys

can anyone tell me if i have a faulty moog.

This is a square wave with these settings below.. it's a basic sound with no lfo etc. yes there is drift but this is not drift.

Also machine has been on for hours and it still sounds like this.

I've checked the tuning and that is ok as well

When i turn on the 3rd oscillator it has this horrible buzzing sound, it doesn't matter which OSC is the last one being turned on.

https://soundcloud.com/warren-k-music/track-14

Controllers

Tune = 0
Glide = 0
Modulation Mix = 0
Switches osc3 filter eg set to osc3
Switch noise lfo set to noise

Oscillator bank

Osc 1
Range = 8'
Waveform = Square

OSC 2
Range = 8'
Waveform = Square
oscillator 2 dead centre

Osc 3
Range = 8'
Waveform = Square
oscillator 3 dead centre

osc3 control switch up

Mixer

Volume all osc volume 10 (but doesn't matter what volume they are still happens)
External input volume = 0 - Switch is off
Noise volume = 0 - Switch is off

Filter Modulation switch = off
Keyboard Control 1 & 2 = off

MODIFIERS

Cut off = full
Filter Emphasis = 0
Amount of contour = 0

Filter attack = 0
Filter decay = 0
Filter sustain =10

Loudness Contour
Attack = 0
Decay = 0
Sustain - 10

that's all the settings.

Can anyone who has a moog please try this and see if you get the same sound as i do.
Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

captainkidd

Re: New reissue Model D Faulty?

Post by captainkidd » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:29 pm

From listening to the audio I've experienced the same thing. Originally I thought I had an issue too. I even spoke to a tech at Moog (while calling about something else) and he told me to shoot him an
audio file. What I deduced is that it's pretty much the Oscillators being slightly out of phase with each other, slightly detuned from each other. I've been able to tune them up with each other pretty well
at times but at other times I have a hard time doing so. I think it's just the nature of the whole Analogue circuitry. It's real hard to get them all completely in phase with each other.

Since I've never even touched an original Model D I don't know how much different this might be between the reissue and an original. So I never did send the audio file to Moog just thinking that
it's fairly normal. Perhaps someone with more experience (pretty much everyone else than me) can pipe in here and set us at ease or worry.

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:26 am

Just a thought, it's. not osc 3 modulation? I note you have mod mix to 0 , which applies equal mix of modulation settings determined by switch position. Try taking osc 3 out of modulation switch setting and switching off any osc modulation, can't see if you have it set on?

I'll try my model d later and see if I can replicate.

Isn

Waza

Post by Waza » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:48 pm

No it's not the switch as I've tried a few things and I still get it.

moogsaurus

Post by moogsaurus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Wazza:
Just checked my old '77 mini,does the same mate!
The mini essentially runs the circuits to a very high headroom, really heavy phasing as the tuning cycles tear at each other,i've 2 Voyagers,which run at a lower headroom,
due to the newer tolerances in the components which means even at full output-they're quieter machines, just nowhere as aggressive as the "raw" mini, but they're still great instruments (would'nt have 2 if they did'nt deliver)
so if moog have used original components (remanufactured some of them?) then its a sure fire bet its accurate!
I'm down in Balloch-where are you?
j

Waza

Post by Waza » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:33 am

Hi Moogsaurus,

Thanks for checking this on your old Model D, it's good to know that it's not a fault, but in the end, mine did actually have a fault, when i pressed keys A,F sometimes there was no sound. so it went back to the shop, they didn't have another one and i only had it for a few days so just got my money back, but my new one will be arriving tomorrow.

I stay in Edinburgh mate, Balloch nice place. Nice set of toys you have. What type of music do you do?

Waza

moogsaurus

Post by moogsaurus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Waza:
Wee sisters over in Blackhall, great night out in Edinburgh (Rose street?!) Not tied down to any particular style,
doing more folky electropop just now (with lyrics Aarrggghh!) musics fine-just the words?!
Now back to the Mini, the old D' uses the Read Pratt system keyboard assembly,very robust-its got tine like contacts (unlike the later 70's wire contacts:Micro,Multi, pro 1, P5 etc..) but since no longer manufactured the Fatar does the job admirably. I'd guess its the same kbd used in the Voyager? The Mini was always drifting in tune
just mind to hit the bottom key to charge up the sample hold capacitors before recording as the Mini will drift in tuning over time if not physically played (unless Moog have a software/hardware autotune on board the new Mini?) Its a simple soul, very distinct sound,I've had most of the early Moogs, but nothing sounds like the Mini!
I'm just waiting patiently for the Memorymoog!

Waza

Post by Waza » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Moogsaurus:

yeah the keyboard is the same as the Voyager a Fatar.

about Tuning you hold the 4 bottom keys for a reset and that fixes the tuning.

Got my new Moog today and was testing it out, no notes disagreeing like the last one, it did take a while for the osc to tune properly but i've had it on for 5 hours now and this thing is so lovely. I was a little worried about it, but my mind is getting at ease with it the more i play it.

I was reading the manual and that did say that you can overdrive the mixer without even trying, so that's what i must have been doing when i made those settings and thought it was faulty.

Loving the Valhalla Vintage verb with this thing, it suits it so well.

Waza