Controlling the Voyager from an external sequencer (newbie!)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Jazzpunk

Controlling the Voyager from an external sequencer (newbie!)

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:45 pm

Greetings,
I am finally preparing (ie socking away funds!) to make the leap from softsynths to the real deal. I have grasped as much as possible from reading the literature on the Voyager but I am still unclear about external control from a sequencer.

Will I be able to sequence or arpeggiate the Voyager from within Logic Pro? If so do I need one of the midi 'extras' that can be additionaly purchased? I will probably get these as I'd like to get an analog sequencer as well (or sync moogerfooger parameters to the Voyager) but just curious as to what parameters I could control/record with the Voyager right out of the box.

Thanks for any info!

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:06 am

Hi!
Welcome to the world of Sequencing!
First at all, it is like you already think, MIDI and ANALOG Sequencer are from the technical view two diffrent thing with diffrent Hardware "needs".
If you just have the Voyager you are ready to use both of this types of sequencing, Voyager got midi I/O and also Trigger and cv ports for analog sequencer.
What you need to sequence the V from logic is a Midiport connected to your PC and V. If do not have one already, i would recommend to buy not the cheapest one. Just look around the net and listen to the probs some people had. It is not a bad idea to use one of this logic-devices like Unitor or AMt, as far asa i remember, there was also a smaller one with 4 Midi i/o's.
You will be able to control much more than just a simple melody. Nearly each parameter of the voyager have a midi adress, so incase you want to change the cutoff during some notes, all you have to do is to set up a new midiline in logic, giving it the correct midichannel and adress and paint in the movement of the cutoff you like.
i guess that this will do it for you first...
If you have an analog sequencer, it depence on how much lines this sequencer have. 'There are not so many seq on the market, which have more than three lines. you find the input at the back of the voyager, so it clear which parameters you can reach...
But you always find something more that you can do with analog cv/gate i/o's. This is a growing system, from time to time other analog devices will come to your family and can connect them together.
I like stepsequencer! The fact that you have potis for each step, it is easy to change the whole line during the playback.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:52 am

I'm glad this has come up, because I could use some advice in a related area.

I don't use sequencers much, apart from slight use of the one in my Arturia Modular V, and the realtime sequencer on one of my MIDI keyboards.

But someone's asked me if I could do some backing tracks for two singers doing classical pieces. I don't want to spend the time learning and performing the music as my music reading isn't very good and I don't normally play other people's scores. So I'd like to scan a score into the PC and arrange it on the Voyager and other synths.

The person who asked me about this work mentioned Sibelius, but looking at software in these areas that might not be the best thing. There are several versions of Sibelius anyway, and I'm not clear whether the version that would scan a score and convert it to music will actually send MIDI data, or whether it's designed to simply use its own sample library.

What I'd need to do is to scan the score, then have the option of editing the result so I could allocate different parts to specific synths. In the case of piano scores of orchestral works I'd need to expand the two staves into different parts, but in any case I'd need to basically orchestrate the scanned manuscript into separate synth lines, then multitrack and mix down. I already have hardware multitracking so I don't need that in software, BTW. It'd be a matter of selecting part of the score, sending it over MIDI to the synth, and recording that. The only stuff I need to do that is the score scanning, editing and MIDI converting software.

I'm not sure if this is cost-effective yet. I'd appreciate any advice on this as I'm one of those quaint people who plays music from one of those black and white things that some synths have.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:22 am

Thank you for all of the info Stefan :)

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:00 pm

Sweep wrote: What I'd need to do is to scan the score, then have the option of editing the result so I could allocate different parts to specific synths. In the case of piano scores of orchestral works I'd need to expand the two staves into different parts, but in any case I'd need to basically orchestrate the scanned manuscript into separate synth lines, then multitrack and mix down. I already have hardware multitracking so I don't need that in software, BTW. It'd be a matter of selecting part of the score, sending it over MIDI to the synth, and recording that. The only stuff I need to do that is the score scanning, editing and MIDI converting software.
Hi Sweep,
mhm, mhm, are you sure you want to try this? :wink: I am not sure if it works like this..., but i am sure that it will be a lot of work. First at all, i don't know sibilus, i heard about it, but i am not sure, if it can read notes out of an TIF - File. Done that years ago with documents and a bundled OCR - Software, but the results didn't satisfied me.
Could be intresting if sibilus is able to do it so perfect, that there isn't much to edit afterwards, but i guess that it wount do it this way. Timing and scoring are so diffrent in a simple pianoroll, but ..., let me know how far you did come.
Did i understood you right, that you want to spilt, let's say, all this polyphone lines to monophone ones and sent them than to your voyager? _Uhhh, this will be hard again.... Why don't you use a ployphone Synth instead?
Stefan

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Jazzpunk wrote:Thank you for all of the info Stefan :)
you are welcome...

my hardware sequencer:

Doepfer MAQ 16/3
Doepfer Schaltwerk
Sequentix P3
FR 777
Akai MPC2000XL
Yamaha QY700
Spectralis
Machinedrum and Monomachine

Software:
Cubase SX3
Ableton Live
Samplitude V8.3
and much more of nice software tools (there are so much in cyberspace)