Homemade VX-351

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
latigid on

Homemade VX-351

Post by latigid on » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:55 am

Hello all.

I have a Voyager AE and was thinking about the expander modules. The only problem is the $$$. The only stockist of Moog gear that I know of here (New Zealand) has ridiculous prices. And our dollar is weak at the moment, so importing would be costly...

Has anyone ever made their own? It would seem one would only need a metal case/patchbay, with the jacks grounded to chassis, and each tip connected to the corresponding pin on the D-sub connector (or whatever it's called).

I realise that the mults and attenuators would be lost, but would there be any other circuitry to it? Could someone look inside their's or consult a circuit diagram?

Thanks for your help.

Cousin Itt

Post by Cousin Itt » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:38 am

There is a small circuit board that you also have to add inside the voyager to use the expander box.

till

Post by till » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:35 pm

Isn't this little board "only" a few capacitors for decoupling ?
Anyway, doing a self made VX-351 (Who came up with this stupit name?) need some skills. And if you have such skills, why not build a whole synth from schematics found in the internet? ;)
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:45 am

Well, I already have a Voyager, I would just like to expand it a little. I reackon I could wire up a patchbay, I would just like to know if anyone had tried it, and with what results.