Voyager Custom Expansion Panel

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
AnalogDave

Voyager Custom Expansion Panel

Post by AnalogDave » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:57 am

Hi everyone. This is my first post here.
I recently sent an email to tech support (about a week ago) but haven't heard a reply back yet so I figured I'd post my message here in case it wasn't received (I used the Moog website form to send the message).

Here's my message:
Dear Tech Support,

I have just recently purchased a Voyager EB edition and am absolutely delighted with it. I'm a sound engineer and musician (my gear list and music is available freely on my website at the end of this message) from Australia and am also a qualified electronics tech with three decades of experience in design, construction and customisation of synth and studio equipment.
I have a private recording studio and a collection of analog and digital synths which I've collected over the years, many of which I have done extensive modifications to. Amongst that collection are various analog synths/sequencers which I am designing a modular i/o panel for. Now that I have a Voyager, I am hoping to integrate its CV/Gate i/o capability into my custom panel design. This panel will also have additional i/o for my Roland System 700 sequencer, System 100 synth (complete with all modules), SH09 which I've modded with CV i/o for all sections, Juno 6 with extra i/o, Juno 106 which I am modding for extensive CV/Gate i/o and JX3P/PG200.
I found the Voyager 25 pin expansion port pinout via a Google search and have also discovered the necessity of installing a small PCB in the Voyager which I've read contains some 330 ohm resistors to prevent oscillation when a cable is attached to the expansion port.
Would it be possible to obtain that PCB and some additional information (schematics possibly) regarding the VX351? If I wasn't building my modular panel for the entire synth rig, I'd just purchase a VX351 but it would be somewhat redundant considering my project plans.
Also, I am planning to do a full oscillator tuneup and am wondering if you'd be able to provide the procedure to do so? I have read a few different procedures on various forums but would like to use the official Moog method. I have frequency counters/oscilloscopes/tuners in my electronics lab.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Keep up the legendary work!

Kind regards,
David.
http://www.ambisonicmusic.com
I have done an oscillator tune (using a good quality strobe tuner) since sending this email according to the following information I found but I'd still like to know the official Moog method (I found a number of methods using Google but not sure which one is the 'official' one).

The method I used:

Power on and let warm up for 1/2 hour.

Before each oscillator adjustment, I loaded the init voice patch (which I previously copied, disabled the pitch bend range and saved as a new init preset).
Osc 1
1* Play low E (on 8' range) and adjust RT2 (range)
2* Set oct to 2' and adjust RT1 (scale)
3* Repeat 1 & 2 as necessary
4* Adjust RP11 (Low E) on 1' octave
5* Set oct back to 8'
6* Play high E and adjust RP9 (KB Track)
7* Repeat 1 - 6 as necessary

Osc 2
1* Play low E (on 8' range) and adjust RT4 (range)
2* Set oct to 2' and adjust RT3 (scale)
4* Adjust RP20 (Low E) on 1' octave
5* Set oct back to 8'
6* Play high E and adjust RP21 (KB Track)

Osc 3
1* Play low E (on 8' range) and adjust RT6 (range)
2* Set oct to 2' and adjust RT5 (scale)
4* Adjust RP14 (Low E) on 1' octave
5* Set oct back to 8'
6* Play high E and adjust RP16 (KB Track)

* Repeat whole procedure as needed
* Close panel and leave for 15 minutes
* Check tuning and adjust again as needed.

After completing this, my Voyager is FAR more in tune (oscillator 2 was WAY out of tune before this and the other two were close but not spot on).
Last edited by AnalogDave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My music and gear - AmbisonicMusic.com

bichuelo

Re: Voyager Custom Expansion Panel

Post by bichuelo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:17 pm

You can also tune the 5th for oscillators 2 and 3 and the LO range of the Osc 3, I don't remember right now which trimmers are those, but I can tell you, they make a great difference!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

AnalogDave

Post by AnalogDave » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:44 pm

bichuelo wrote:You can also tune the 5th for oscillators 2 and 3 and the LO range of the Osc 3, I don't remember right now which trimmers are those, but I can tell you, they make a great difference!
I read about that in some of the topics I found about tuning the Voyager but didn't find any details about the procedure. There was mention of a special patch for it but I haven't heard back from Moog Tech Support in response to my email yet though.

AnalogDave

Post by AnalogDave » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Does anyone know if there is a direct email address for someone in Moog tech support that I could send my requests about my custom expansion panel ideas to? My previous message was sent via the Moog website but I don't know if it was received.

AnalogDave

Post by AnalogDave » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:45 pm

I just got off the phone to Taylor in tech support and he was extremely helpful and answered all my questions. Wonderful support. A big thumbs up! 8)

I'll be getting started on the design and prototyping for my custom panel shortly and will post updates here (as long as it is acceptable by Moog to post such tech details) for those who are interested.

Cej

Post by Cej » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:15 am

I'm interested, please do! :)