Model D Reissue. Here to stay? Or limited run?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Jake The Dog

Model D Reissue. Here to stay? Or limited run?

Post by Jake The Dog » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello.

First time poster here.

I am the proud owner of a select blue Voyager in Tiger Oak. I am looking forward to the day when he can meet his "older" brother the model D. I remember hearing phrases like "extremely limited run" being said during the first couple of weeks after the model D was reissued. Knowing that these things are selling faster than Moog can make them, and that the demand will continue, is it safe to say that these will be around for a while? Granted, the term "limited run" can mean a lot of things... Even the Voyager discontinued production. My only concern is that I will miss my chance to buy a model D if I have to wait a couple of years to save up for one. I just got my voyager in February of this year and I am not financially prepared to make another purchase like that just yet.

Has anyone out there been leaked some credible info on this topic? I know special parts of the model D had to be made available again to make this happen. Hopefully they can continue to be made.

-Jake

MC

Re: Model D Reissue. Here to stay? Or limited run?

Post by MC » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:00 am

The Taurus 3 was a "limited run". The initial plan was 1000 units. The demand was so strong that they made at least another 500. Once they were all made, production ended. That was over five years ago. The SubPhatty and Minitaur have taken its place - same synth engine, different more accessible package. Not everyone wants a foot pedal format unit.

The MF-104 was a "limited run" too. It was built from a BBD IC which is not mass produced. Once they exhaust the supply, the run is finished. Then more BBDs became available and they re-issued it again.

Sometimes the limited run is from part availability, sometimes from niche appeal such as foot pedal format. The model D was purposely built as a faithful reproduction of the original. This can be a two edged sword. There are customers who want THAT sound, but you won't find modern features such as patch storage. This may not appeal to everybody, thus limited run.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:11 am

In one of their videos at the pop-up factory, one of the employees remarked that "everything is a limited run."

Seeing as how the original Model Ds are still in huge demand after 40 years and the vintage ones come up for sale all the time, there is no way you will be denied the opportunity to own one.

It may very well be a Voyager's buyers market though.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

chekmate99

Post by chekmate99 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Not to side track the thread but not only is it a buyers market for the Voyager, I feel it's a buyers market for most synths in general.

Used Mother-32's are now showing up daily on ebay for prices around $450, a mint Micromoog just sold for $535 on ebay (which is a much better synth then a Mother-32) and a few days ago an original Minimoog sold for $3000 - as the synth manufactures continue to flood the market with synths (of all things, there is now a keyboardless KArp Odyssey), I feel the prices for all synths will drop significantly in the next few years. my thoughts is that in the next year or so the new Minimoogs will easily be in or under 3k - there is just too many synths in the market now to meet the demand. I wouldn't be too concerned about not being able to own a reissue of any synth in the next few years; the question is if a person is willing to wait that long for the prices to drop.

anyway, my two cents.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:30 pm

don't think the old model-d will ever be cheaper then a new model-d reissued
also don't think the jp8 will drop in price over the next five years
maybe we can make a contest on who best made a prediction on the prices of synth's in future :-)

Jake The Dog

Post by Jake The Dog » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure I'll get my hands on a D one way or another. I'm just one of those weirdos that feels a sacred connection in imprinting your musical talent on a virgin instrument.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:24 pm

I kind of understand the OP concern about "limited" runs and not know what that really means. I've come into the Synth life fairly recently. Grew up in the 60's and 70's so I heard them a lot but never really got into them. Actually been a pseudo drummer for a good share of my life and have a real nice Roland V-Drum setup that I've been growing for ~20 years now. It really wasn't until I came across the Sub 37 at a GC that I thought to myself "Hey that's a Moog" and it's relatively affordable. But then I told myself I have no business even thinking about getting one because for one I am not a keyboardist and also I am not really that good of a musician overall. But it kept eating at me until I found a slightly used one for a bit cheaper. Well that open the damn door to Synths for me.

And being new to the whole Synth world I didn’t realize how big a world it is and all the relatively new resurgence of Synths have been. So I have missed some of the opportunity on getting some of the new(er) synths when they were new and now discontinued. So when Moog announced the re-issue of the Model D I was stoked. Again I had to ask myself whether or not I really had any business getting one but also thought if I don’t take the opportunity now will I get a chance later down the road. I did convince myself that if it really turns out it isn’t for me I could sell it. So I put in a pre-order at Sweetwater. I’ve had it now for a month or so and I can’t keep my hands off it.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:49 am

i brought the Sub37 early as it was promoted as a "Limited Tribute Edition". Seems now it is limited to ...how many they can sell. Not that im disappointed with my purchase in any way! just might not have been the first on the pre-order list.

Anyways yesterday i was proud to receive a brand new Minimoog. Ive waited for this moment almost all my life, it was one of those synths that always hoped would come into my possession for a reasonable price when the time was right, but just kept moving further away into the horizon of "unobtainable" due to its exponential value. The Jupiter 8 is the same.To make matters worse i was offered a Minimoog back in 97 for $2000 (a white one) and i passed....and regretted it for the last 19 years. I think i remember i was nervous because of the color, they werent made in white and i wondered what else inside might have been "modified". Damn. I was also offered a Jupiter 8 in 99 for 2K as well and passed...because it didnt have midi and i figured "too hard basket". Boy do i regret that one as well. My two biggest synth regrets actually.

I think about it this way, if 2 years ago someone walked up to me and offered me a brand spanking new Minimoog they had in their attic and had never touched for 40 years except for adding midi, for $5k, i would have had a coronary fit and jumped at the opportunity. So really its a no-brainer for me.

But i must say the whole "synth that cried wolf" was in the back of my mind again when they said "Limited run" for the Minimoog so i know how you feel. But this time as i know a bit more about the parts and how they are using some new old components, i tend to believe them this time.

Everyone said the Minimoog will never be remade, and i would have to accept it. and the Jupiter 8 will never be remade and ill have to accept that too. If you were offered a Jupiter 8 for $5k (theyre hitting 12k lately) would you jump?? its the same miracle as seeing a new Minimoog. Just extraordinary actually. I still cant believe it.

Bascially what im saying is...jump now...or regret it forever. You have been warned!

Cheers,
Blackout

Jake The Dog

Post by Jake The Dog » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Blackout wrote:
Bascially what im saying is...jump now...or regret it forever. You have been warned!

Cheers,
Blackout

Jeeze now you've gotten me all worried. This may sound like a silly question, but do you think waiting until May of 2017 would be too late? I think I need a friend to talk me down :oops:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 am

Guys, stop worrying. As always, if/when a model comes to an end, MoogMusic announces the last run through a "Grab it while it's possible" mail.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:01 am

Jake The Dog wrote:
Blackout wrote:

Cheers,
Blackout

Jeeze now you've gotten me all worried. This may sound like a silly question, but do you think waiting until May of 2017 would be too late? I think I need a friend to talk me down :oops:
i was told they would only make 1000 "or so" of them...depending on parts. My serial that just arrived is in the early 600s. What does that tell you?

Having said that, by the looks of the box printing it came in, and the really serious manual, the addition of the minimoog into their printed brochure list of "products" etc i tend to think its a hell of a lot of work just for 1000 units? so i dunno...

Jake The Dog

Post by Jake The Dog » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:24 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Guys, stop worrying. As always, if/when a model comes to an end, MoogMusic announces the last run through a "Grab it while it's possible" mail.

Oh that's awesome! I didn't realize they did that. That makes me feel better.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:47 am

Not sure about what humor degrees I should consider your answer :oops: Wish you really feel better though :) Just suscribe to the newsletter.

Anyway, they did it for ClusterFlux, Little Phatty, Slim Phatty Voyager, FreqBox and MuRF... I think they'll do it for the Model D.