Newb Voyager Programming Question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Dave_D

Newb Voyager Programming Question

Post by Dave_D » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm stumped by some of Voyager's presets (e.g., A53 - Kick in the Sub, E56 - Stereo Zaps). If you turn all the oscillators off (or on), it has no effect on the timbre. Same with pretty much all front panel controls except the Filters and Envelopes sections. I've tweaked every control and perused the Edit menus but can't determine the setting(s) responsible for this behavior.

What am I missing?

Any enlightenment is appreciated.

LWG

Re: Newb Voyager Programming Question

Post by LWG » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Dave_D wrote:I'm stumped by some of Voyager's presets (e.g., A53 - Kick in the Sub, E56 - Stereo Zaps). If you turn all the oscillators off (or on), it has no effect on the timbre. Same with pretty much all front panel controls except the Filters and Envelopes sections. I've tweaked every control and perused the Edit menus but can't determine the setting(s) responsible for this behavior.

What am I missing?

Any enlightenment is appreciated.
Hello,

Your description sounds like the patches in question may be using the filter as your tone source. When the resonance (filter feedback) is increased, the filter becomes an oscillator and outputs a sine wave.
In this case, since the Vger has twin filters, if they are set to LP/LP (dual lowpass mode), you get two tone generators with the ability to offset the pitch of the second. Any controllers then applied to the filter will affect the pitch of the generated tone.

Cheers,

-L

till

Post by till » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:01 am

Yes, these sounds are based on the self oscillating filter.
And this covers nearly all of the normal oscillators. So this is why you don't hear a change if you edit these.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Dave_D

Post by Dave_D » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks guys. I understand self-oscillating filters but still don't understand what's preventing Voyager's oscillators from producing sound. To my knowledge, it isn't an either/or proposition - at least, not in other synths.

So, maybe I should ask this instead: If I wanted to 'undo' this in a Voyager preset - that is, enable the oscillators at any cost to the timbre - which parameters would I change?

Thanks again.

Dave_D

Post by Dave_D » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Oh crap, I really am a newb. It turns out the oscillators weren't just disabled - their levels were also zeroed out.

Uh... Never mind. :roll: