Voyager =/= Model D

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
praxisaxis

Voyager =/= Model D

Post by praxisaxis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:51 am

These two so often get compared, but what I like about my Voyager is that it is so unlike any other synth, probably including the D (though I've never played one).

The strengths of the Voyager - its modulation options, its third osc which can work as another modulation source, its extremely round, sweet tone below 1k - etc, etc, etc, I've tried to feature in this little video here https://youtu.be/ktZVe-Ekqj4. The whole tune has been made using only the Voyager, including percussion sounds. I don't think a Model D could do this :D 8) (but perhaps I'm wrong?). Hmmm...

stiiiiiiive

Re: Voyager =/= Model D

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:22 am

GREAT!! :)

Loved how you're mixing jazz techniques with pure noise rythm - did not say "beat", and that's what I like.
The vid edit is cool too: seeing Kamea-kids and skeptical dog is part of the experience.

And I promise I'm not inventing that because I do have a VOS here and am (little) drooling on a Model D ;)

Thanks for sharing!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:58 am

praxisaxis wrote:These two so often get compared, but what I like about my Voyager is that it is so unlike any other synth, probably including the D (though I've never played one).
FYI: Comparison sound examples can be found here:

Knobtweak > Files > Voyager > Vintage, Voyager or Virtual
praxisaxis wrote: The strengths of the Voyager - its modulation options, its third osc which can work as another modulation source, its extremely round, sweet tone below 1k - etc, etc, etc,
Pot mapping, multi-mode filter (6/12/18/24dB response), dual outputs, access to all CV points, etc... :D
praxisaxis wrote: I've tried to feature in this little video here https://youtu.be/ktZVe-Ekqj4.
'Voyager Delirium' is such an appropriate title - nice!

discorules

Post by discorules » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Fantastic work, so much creative and different. Thanks for sharing !

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks everyone,
One of the reasons I made it is because the Voyager unfairly gets a bad rap when compared to the Model D. People say it's not as aggressive, not as lively, and other things besides. Of all my synths (I've had a few, though not a Model D), it's definitely the most organic, lively and most comparable to an acoustic instrument in terms of expressive capacity.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Awesome on all fronts!!! Great video production and insane voyages to the bottom of the C's. Kudos to the upcoming Jedi's in the background for redirecting the Force of the Voyager towards LAB Vader. Looking forward to the Sequel ... The Model D Strikes Back ... :-)
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:04 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Awesome on all fronts!!! Great video production and insane voyages to the bottom of the C's. Kudos to the upcoming Jedi's in the background for redirecting the Force of the Voyager towards LAB Vader. Looking forward to the Sequel ... The Model D Strikes Back ... :-)
Ha ha ha :) :) Lab Vader. (Though to be technically accurate he is Mongrel Vader).

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:37 pm

that clip was great!!

nice soloing at the end, too

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:00 pm

ummagumma wrote:that clip was great!!

nice soloing at the end, too
Ah thanks :) I have developed a method of soloing which involves very little fancy technique :) :D :lol:

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:09 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Looking forward to the Sequel ... The Model D Strikes Back ... :-)
Ah goodness. . . I like your optimism. :lol:

AnalogDave

Post by AnalogDave » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:30 am

praxisaxis wrote:These two so often get compared, but what I like about my Voyager is that it is so unlike any other synth, probably including the D (though I've never played one).

The strengths of the Voyager - its modulation options, its third osc which can work as another modulation source, its extremely round, sweet tone below 1k - etc, etc, etc, I've tried to feature in this little video here https://youtu.be/ktZVe-Ekqj4. The whole tune has been made using only the Voyager, including percussion sounds. I don't think a Model D could do this :D 8) (but perhaps I'm wrong?). Hmmm...
That's a really creative piece. Great playing and nice patch creation/manipulation too. 8)
I've just purchased my first Moog (also a Voyager EB) and love it! Such an expressive and rich instrument.
My music and gear - AmbisonicMusic.com

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:03 pm

praxisaxis - regarding Voyager Delirium: very unique, loud, brash, interesting, almost violent, awesome, intellectual, talented, well rehearsed, nicely documented via video, multi-emotional... I liked it. :)

Sharing on my Facebook page right away.

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Thank you! :)

Donut Dude, yep, it's loud and a little silly! It's certainly not the only kind of music I make but I need to get this crazy synth stuff out of my system every so often ;)
-
Tom

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:52 pm

That was really great! An enthusiastic and energetic performance and funny with it. :D