how to date a voyager by serial number?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ummagumma

how to date a voyager by serial number?

Post by ummagumma » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a chart anywhere, of serial numbers + date of manufacture, so we can tell when our minimoogs were made?

also I see different formats of serials for each model of minimoog ( performer/electric/select/XL etc ) how are they broken down?

I had a search & didn't find anything, apologies if this is in an FAQ somewhere

thanks!

MC

Re: how to date a voyager by serial number?

Post by MC » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 am

I never did see any dating or model chart.

I own a Signature Edition which is one of the first ~100 Voyagers made. Never did see any inspection tag inside with a date. I don't know if they used them in later Voyagers.

Probably the best carbon dating method is the datecodes on the ICs. Usually it is a four digit number YYWW where YY is the last two digits of the year and WW is the week number. IE 9912 is 12th week of 1999. The IC with the latest datecode puts you close to the year your Voyager was made.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 pm

Call Moog .... they probably have it in there data base.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:48 am

ok thanks guys. I will email them

I am surprised there is no breakdown of how serials are sorted, by model. I will ask Moog about that, too!

Cheers