Newbie to Forum - Basic Question (I hope)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
hucklebee

Newbie to Forum - Basic Question (I hope)

Post by hucklebee » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:48 pm

Excited to be part of this community. Long time musician. Brand new to the world of minimoog.

Very basic question... I hope.

I know nothing about CV connections.

I have a Voyager Performer Edition and a Doepfer Dark Time. I am wanting to connect them. I have 1/4 to 1/8 cables (TRS to mono). I have tried various ways to connect the Doepfer to the Voyager with no luck yet. I am sure I am missing something, so I am hoping one of you can take pity on me and assist. I searched the archives, but was not able to find anything straightforward.

cheers,

Jeff

mikeh11

Re: Newbie to Forum - Basic Question (I hope)

Post by mikeh11 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:43 pm

I have neither piece of gear, but ...

The Dark Time says it has MIDI -- if that is MIDI out, then connect it to the Voyager MIDI in. Might have to tell the Voyager to listen for external MIDI clock and run/stop messages.

Alternately, I'd try connecting the Dark Time CV out to the Voyager Pitch CV In, and the Dark Time Gate out to the Voyager Gate In. I would think that should be enough to get notes playing. Once you get the simple stuff working, you can add other connections.

Be careful with the voltage ranges, too.

I'm not sure about using TRS cables here... I should read the Dark Time manual and convince myself that that's OK.
MBP 2012 | OS X 10.11.6 | Sub 37 #6768

hucklebee

Post by hucklebee » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks for the insight. I have 1/4 mono to 1/8 cables. Sorry for the confusion. I think it must be a global setting on the voyager. I tried MIDI... nothing... tried cv1 and gate out on the dark time... nothing. I tried midi on my subphatty... I got sound, but was unable to control pitch.

cheers

Jeff

hucklebee

Post by hucklebee » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:41 am

Ok, I set the MIDI channel on voyager to match channel on dark time.... Success! I have sound. Now, how can I trigger pitch changes from the voyager? When I hit a key, it just ads noise to the pattern. I am wanting to create note changes that feed into the sequencer. I assume this is done with cv and gate connections. Not sure how.

Cheers

Jeff

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:44 pm

I have used the Dark Time with my Voyager's and Little Phatty with both MIDI or CV without any problems.

With CV in case you don't know you have to put the evelope swich in the lowet right side of the Voyager to external.

Have fun