Little Phatty vs Minimoog D reissue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cheopsnet

Little Phatty vs Minimoog D reissue

Post by cheopsnet » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi guys,

I enjoy using my Little Phatty (older, Midi but no USB version) in my compositions, mixing guitars/bass/Rhodes/organ/etc (i.e. I am not into experimental, synth-only/focused music). I get a good variety of sounds..

Any advice/perspective as I am considering the Minimoog D coming out? Does the Minimoog D cover all the basis of the LP, plus some? Or are those synths widely different?

Thanks for your insight!
Louis

ToneBub

Re: Little Phatty vs Minimoog D reissue

Post by ToneBub » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:39 am

I had a Little Phatty for several years. I thought the Phatty was definitely able to get the 'Moog sound'. There are a few things that I recall the Phatty being able to do that the Model D cannot:
  • * Save and recall patches
    * Arpeggiator
    * Variable waveforms and waveform modulation
    * Oscillator sync
    * Variable filter cutoff slope
In the reissue Model D's favor, there are a few things it does that the Phatty cannot:
  • * All settings are immediately visible and accessible on the front panel. This is a considerable advantage when performing.
    * 3rd Oscillator for extra tonalities. It's very easy to set up different tuned intervals on the 3 Oscs and then easily switch them in and out as needed.
    * The new dedicated LFO allows setting up dual modulation with the 3rd Oscillator
    * More CV ins/outs available on the back panel
    * It not only gets the 'Moog sound', it essentially defined the Moog sound (along with the original Moog modulars).
I liked the Phatty a lot, but eventually traded it to get the Sub37, which I like even better. Between the Phatty and the reissue Model D, I'd take the Model D (I love having the 3rd Osc), but of course it costs considerably more.