Which simple but effective seuqencer for Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tdpm

Re: Which simple but effective seuqencer for Voyager

Post by tdpm » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:18 am

Hello Fellow moog people.

Hope you all are doing well in these crazy days of ours.

Sorry i am a noob at this sequencer stuff.

I am having the same question here. I need an affordable Sequencer, to make some Berlin Style/Pink Floyds " On the run" sequences.

The thing is i contacted Moog longo ago about it and they said that due to voltages output on CV sequencers being more than 5V( For example on the SQ1...wich you can change the voltages of CV but not gate), i Should get the Moog CV expander for interfancing voltages, to not damage the Voyager. LAst thing i want is to ruin any gear. Especially my most expensive one.

But this MOOG VX351 is more expensive than the sequencer i can afford.

So...I am looking into MIDI. I see that Korg SQ1 has a Midi out and the Arturia Keystep and Beatstep also have MIDI.

Someone mentioned here that one should connect the CV of filter and envelope. Wouldnt that damage it too? Anyway between these options of sequencer any you especifically recommend that is easy to use, midi wise, and that i can link to the BPM of my DAW?

Kind regards and best wishes

chaksur

Post by chaksur » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:27 am

If the lamp power is free, you could use the 12v output between the MIDI outputs and the CVs to power the SQ1

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:09 pm

Hey there.

The SQ1 is powered with a 9V battery, beware.

For the original poster, here are a couple of things you may be intersted in.
- There is no risk for your Voyager with the SQ1
- The GATE direction is configurable on the SQ1.
- The filter cutoff CV input of your Voyager can receive CVs from the SQ1 without any hassle.

The SQ1 is a damn good little tpy for the money: it has several modes and you can really elaborate cool, changing sequences. Plus it can double as a "Preset box" for Mooger Foogers or other CV/expression equiped FX boxes.

lemieuxhelm

Post by lemieuxhelm » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:25 am

Not inexpensive, but I love the MAQ16/3 to sequence my Voyager. It just does SO much . and a lot less expensive than a 960 suite or an STG Soundlabs Time Suite for the Berlin School stuff I do. See more