Noise on the Oscillators

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
stsystem

Noise on the Oscillators

Post by stsystem » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:51 am

Hi to everyone on this forum,

My Voyager have noise on the 3 Oscillators, first i notice on the audio outputs and i thought that was cause of my old mixer but when i try the headphone output the noise was there and stronger.

With oscillators volume on minimum no noise just the normal breath of the Envelope that i just notice on the headphones.

If someone can give some tipps to help my technician it would be very nice.
I allready mail Moog im still waiting for the answer.

thanks in advance

Best regards
Pedro

latigid on

Re: Noise on the Oscillators

Post by latigid on » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:41 am

Please try to keep everything in one post.

What model Voyager/SN do you have? New or second hand?

What kind of noise? Breathy white noise or more like a whine from a digital source?

Is the noise from the actual noise source running into the mixer? Set an init patch and experiment switching on/off all VCOs, noise, external etc. Adjust pots and switches to clear any dirt or oxidation.

Does your synth have a backlight? Does the noise level vary with backlight brightness?

stsystem

Post by stsystem » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:19 am

latigid on wrote:Please try to keep everything in one post.

What model Voyager/SN do you have? New or second hand?

What kind of noise? Breathy white noise or more like a whine from a digital source?

Is the noise from the actual noise source running into the mixer? Set an init patch and experiment switching on/off all VCOs, noise, external etc. Adjust pots and switches to clear any dirt or oxidation.

Does your synth have a backlight? Does the noise level vary with backlight brightness?
Hello

First i wanna say sorry for the second post, this problem with my beloved Voyager is getting me "crazy" :wink:

My Voyager its a perfomance edition SN 1249, i buy in second hand, with the Mood and Pitch wheels in white plastic like the original Minimoog so its an old Voyager.

The noise its not like a breathy white noise seems digital.

The noise isnt from the Noise Source and when i turn off all VCOs, Noise and External and start adjusting pots and switches i put 0 resonance and the noise starts when i set Cutoff to 1K or more, less then this frequency its like a breath. So with the cutoff less then 1K you can make noise dissapear.

About the Backlight i just found LCD Contrast on the Voyager Panel i turn to a lot less contrast and noise stays.

Thanks a lot for your help

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:31 am

Hmm, hard to say. You don't have a "backlight" in the way that an Electric Blue or Anniversary Edition does, so that eliminates the whine from the EL inverter/PSU. Seems like the noise really is entering before the filter if it's being filtered out after.

Can you change the "noise" frequency by adjusting an oscillator pitch or modulation source? It might be that something is out of calibration or there's an oxidised connector somewhere. But it's too hard to say without probing the whole signal chain... good luck!

stsystem

Post by stsystem » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:52 am

latigid on wrote:Hmm, hard to say. You don't have a "backlight" in the way that an Electric Blue or Anniversary Edition does, so that eliminates the whine from the EL inverter/PSU. Seems like the noise really is entering before the filter if it's being filtered out after.

Can you change the "noise" frequency by adjusting an oscillator pitch or modulation source? It might be that something is out of calibration or there's an oxidised connector somewhere. But it's too hard to say without probing the whole signal chain... good luck!
Hello again!

The "noise" have pitch! When i change the oscillator pitch the noise change pitch to, of course its not the same pitch has the osc, changes in a away that with 1" octave "noise" almost dissapear.

Any idea?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:02 am

Is it limited to any particular oscillator? This info you can give to your tech to look a bit closer.

stsystem

Post by stsystem » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:04 pm

latigid on wrote:Is it limited to any particular oscillator? This info you can give to your tech to look a bit closer.
Sorry i get wrong, the "noise" dont have pitch, its like level, more high octave less noise.... and happens in all 3 Oscs.

abooodibrahim

Post by abooodibrahim » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:41 am

stsystem wrote:
latigid on wrote:Is it limited to any particular oscillator? This info you can give to your tech to look a bit closer.
Sorry i get wrong, the "noise" dont have pitch, its like level, more high octave less noise.... and happens in all 3 Oscs.

I dont think the noise is just bacause of oscillators.I suggest u to do an experiment .just remove oscillators and notice that the noise is still there?