voyager or new model d?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sub guy

voyager or new model d?

Post by sub guy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:02 pm

I put this in another forum but haven't received any responses. I've got a sub 37 which I use to play the role of bass guitar in a folk jam band- think grateful dead with a violin in it. I love the sub 37 but am looking to maybe upgrade. I am trying to decide between a voyager (old school or maybe performer edition) and a new model d. Price is not really an issue in this decision. With the sub 37 I've worked out a really nice smooth bass sound that sits really well with the other instruments in the band; it's creamy and buttery and smooth with just a little bite to it. That's my main sound unless improvising and jamming.

Between the voyager and the model D which of the two do you think might better suit my purposes musically? I don't have access to either instrument to play them. Features that I like on the sub 37 are the ability to reset the oscillators so that every time you depress a key they reset for a good solid punchy lead bass sound. Help me make a good decision.

DonutDude

Re: voyager or new model d?

Post by DonutDude » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Do you want to be able to save sounds?

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:32 pm

DonutDude wrote:Do you want to be able to save sounds?

No I don't really care about that much. I hardly ever use that function on the sub 37 anymore. I just change the sounds on the fly.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:22 pm

I have a Voyager RME but have never used a Model D, so I can't comment on the sound differences. Aesthetically the Model D might fit in better than a more modern looking Voyager with a folk/jam band look. Probably not that important of an issue, but something I thought of.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:26 pm

DonutDude wrote:I have a Voyager RME but have never used a Model D, so I can't comment on the sound differences. Aesthetically the Model D might fit in better than a more modern looking Voyager with a folk/jam band look. Probably not that important of an issue, but something I thought of.

I would not make a decision based on the look of a synth but you are right the model d is just beautiful. I had really hoped to gt a variety of perspectives on this but it looks like that might not happen.

machinea

Post by machinea » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:51 pm

I own the voyager and its a more flexible synth than the mini D, darker too. The mini D goes to 11 is worth the hype. If this is a faithful reproduction of the sound of the old mini, then I'd get the mini D. I'm going to add it to studio and keep the voyager.

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 am

Hey Sub

I've had the Voyager for over 10 years and recently added the Sub37. I know the Voyager sound pretty well and rarely use the memory.

Ive taken the Voyager out to gigs, at one point weekly and one thing I realized is that duo to the instrument being bumped around a bit (in the car in its case etc) the tuning of the oscillators tends to suffer after a while. It stay perfectly in tune if you dont move it much but as soon as you do, be prepared to tune it maybe once a month or less depending on how often you move it around. It is bound to happen and cant be avoided. Still the sound is more open than the Sub37. My reason for getting the Sub37 is mainly so i can gig with it and not worry about the Voyager. The Voyager is also heavier, a lot heavier.

The new Model D, id say to wait until people have started receiving them and see what the reviews say etc and then make a decision. One thing is sure and that is that it will be heavy and delicate like the Voyager. In terms of the oscillator tuning and how much 'abuse' it will be able to take before it will need tuning is not known yet.

hope this helps
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

tekonnekt

Post by tekonnekt » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Great question, and something I have been pondering also.

I recently setup my Sub37 next to the Voyager and was impressed at how different they both sound.

I'd love to hear some A/B demos or comparisons between the new Model D and Voyager, as I tend to think they would be more similar and have more tonal commonalities than the setup I'm currently running.
Tekonnekt is a platform that allows producers & musicians around the world to connect and accelerating their learning in a one on one environment. http://www.tekonnekt.com/

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:58 am

tekonnekt wrote:I'd love to hear some A/B demos or comparisons between the new Model D and Voyager, as I tend to think they would be more similar and have more tonal commonalities than the setup I'm currently running.
You'll find a few demos here:
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25633

These compare the original Model D to the Voyager (not the new model D), but it will point out the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences between them.

Best that can be done until someone with a new Module D does a more recent demo.

- Greg

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:11 pm

voyager0500 wrote:Hey Sub

I've had the Voyager for over 10 years and recently added the Sub37. I know the Voyager sound pretty well and rarely use the memory.

Ive taken the Voyager out to gigs, at one point weekly and one thing I realized is that duo to the instrument being bumped around a bit (in the car in its case etc) the tuning of the oscillators tends to suffer after a while. It stay perfectly in tune if you dont move it much but as soon as you do, be prepared to tune it maybe once a month or less depending on how often you move it around. It is bound to happen and cant be avoided. Still the sound is more open than the Sub37. My reason for getting the Sub37 is mainly so i can gig with it and not worry about the Voyager. The Voyager is also heavier, a lot heavier.

The new Model D, id say to wait until people have started receiving them and see what the reviews say etc and then make a decision. One thing is sure and that is that it will be heavy and delicate like the Voyager. In terms of the oscillator tuning and how much 'abuse' it will be able to take before it will need tuning is not known yet.

hope this helps

Just listening to the Model D demos available on Youtube has convinced me to preorder one even though there is no way to be sure if it will sufficiently replace the sub 37 or not. If not Ill probably end up selling the model d :D :oops: :lol: Its worth the experiment to me though. I just posted the in another thread but thought I put this next paragraph here also.

One concern I have about switching to the model D is that I have found that the 18 pole option on the Sub 37 filter is what I am using ALL the time for my sub 37 bass and I know the model D does not have that option. Also I am using feedback turned up about halfway and also multidrive about a third of the way in my standard bass sounds. I like those settings and then roll the filter cutoff back to just above 320hz as a beginning point although I have the mod wheel permanently tied to the filter cutoff so there is a lot of range available to me for different songs or jams. Also for songs and not jamming I use oscillator reset button and two oscillators. That way there is some grit and fatness to the sound but its just barely there due to the filter cutoff. I haven't been able to find a bass setting that is as nice when the filter is set to 20 pole and no overdrive or feedback. The D cannot do any of this except feedback but then only at full power rather than being able to adjust it. So I will only be able to tell if the reported aliveness of the sound of a Model D can be better than the sub 37 by having one for a while. I may end up selling the D for all I know.....

tigre25

Post by tigre25 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:21 pm

So did you bought Model D ? What is your opinion?
Minimoog Model D Vintage 2016, 2x Moog Sub-37, Rhodes Fender MK II, Hohner Strings Melody, 2x SIEL Orchestra 2, Arturia 88, Oberheim OB3 Rack
Ableton, Focusrite, Steinberg, Macbook Pro

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:24 am

I have had a Voyager for a good while, loved it but always hankered after the "real" model d. I got it yesterday. My initial views on the comparisons are

The lack of presets, for me, is better. It forces me to try different things and sculpt sound in a way that I stopped doing on the voyager. That's just me others do it differently I'm sure. But sometimes the modulation options on the voyager, particularly some of the presets took some figuring out!

Sound wise, well I've only done some basic comparisons, but my sense is that the model d sounds thicker on some of the filtered waveforms I've programmed. I've no idea whether that's what others are hearing but that's what I would say at the moment.

Personally they are different enough, for me, to justify both - and of course I've wanted one for all my playing years.

Build wise and playability the model d is beautiful

Both key beds are the fatar ones no issues.

The model d looks far better to my eyes!

Maybe I should post some audio when I've a moment?

Ian

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:10 am

Iaamusic wrote:I have had a Voyager for a good while, loved it but always hankered after the "real" model d. I got it yesterday. My initial views on the comparisons are...

The lack of presets, for me, is better. It forces me to try different things and sculpt sound in a way that I stopped doing on the voyager. That's just me others do it differently I'm sure. But sometimes the modulation options on the voyager, particularly some of the presets took some figuring out!

Sound wise, well I've only done some basic comparisons, but my sense is that the model d sounds thicker on some of the filtered waveforms I've programmed. I've no idea whether that's what others are hearing but that's what I would say at the moment.

Ian
At the risk of beating a dead horse, a comparison was done back in 2009 with a original model D Minimoog, a Voyager Performer, and a Creamware MiniMax (VA synth). The results (with sound comparison examples) are on the KnobTweak site here:

KT > Files > Voyager > Vintage, Voyager, or Virtual

Or follow the link:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Kno ... 20Virtual/

(you'll need to login to access the files)

For anyone interested, it should give a good indication of the sonic differences.

Andy Stark

Post by Andy Stark » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:05 pm

I choose both. Can't beat the raw sounds from the Model D reissue, and love the flexibility of the Voyager Performer Addition. Just my two cents worth.

moogy_j

Post by moogy_j » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:15 pm

I bought a Voyager a few years ago and love the synth - great Moog sound with a ton of routing flexibility. After hearing multiple Model D vs. Voyager comparisons on the Web - I really still wanted the Model D. So I ended up purchasing one and it just arrived last week. The sound is awesome...

To me, the Model D just sounds better and is more of a joy to play. I was really curious to figure out why this was. The comparison link above goes into good detail on the sonic differences - many of which I notice and agree with. But still, playing them side by side, I am able to get the Voyager to closely match the Model D sound.

To me the biggest difference that I notice is in how you can "play" the filter on the Model D. The faster you hit notes, the brighter the filter gets, much like a velocity response. The more energy you put into a lick, the more the filter opens - very nice. To me this makes a HUGE difference.

The Voyager seems to stop the filter envelope modulation and restart it on each note. This makes the Voyager sound a bit sterile and lifeless when playing the same part. I can emulate the "playing" of the filter effect somewhat on the Voyager by modulating the filter with Velocity.

Hope this helps...

John
FuzzyCat Software - Software tools for musicians - www.fuzzy-cat.com

"Chonky" - free global parameter manager software for the Moog Matriarch and Grandmother - www.fuzzy-cat.com/products