Voyager vs Old School vs New Model D

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
stale

Voyager vs Old School vs New Model D

Post by stale » Fri May 20, 2016 12:15 am

I am considering getting a Minimoog. I am not sure which version I want yet. But I am starting my research again. For Years I wanted to get a Model D and it was out of my price range. Then the voyager came out and I keep looking at it but have never pulled the trigger. Then the old school came out and went. Passed on it too. Then they decided to cancel the voyager and I got thinking that maybe I do want to get one of these before they are gone. I see that I could still get a new Old School if I wanted it. Then yesterday the Model D is announced.

I have several Moog synths, Taurus 3, LP Stage 2 , sub 37, Minitaur and a Mother 32. But I still really leaning towards the Mini in some flavor. Having the Voyager would be best for me because of the ability to save patches. I have read that that the Voyager and the Model D are different sounding.

I am just looking for opinions and recommendations from those that own these instruments. (I realize the New D is not out yet, but it sounds great in the few clips I have seen.)

Thanks
Little Phatty Stage 2 CV Out, Taurus 3, Minitaur, Sub 37, mother 32, Mopho X4, Tetra, Korg BX-3, CX-3, SV-1 88, Krome 61 + 88, Kingkorg

captainkidd

Re: Voyager vs Old School vs New Model D

Post by captainkidd » Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 am

I kind of mentioned the same thing in the Model D thread. I am also in the same boat where recently I was thinking about getting a Voyager, I like the Old School since it kind of reminds me of the Model D. But I like the Performer Edition because not only does it still kind of reminds me in a way of the Model D but it also has the presets and a few other little bells and whistles. Plus from my research that the Old School used is going for as much as if not more than a brand new Performer Edition. And I too have been concerned a little bit about now that the Voyagers have been discontinued I do/did not know what the pricing will end up doing.

Then yes now the new Model D is announced so I am kicking that around. I too am very curious of how it really compares sound wise to the Voyager. So on one hand I like the idea of the presets (or being able to save your own) on the Voyager but on the other hand I like the nostalgic look and setup of the Old School and especially now the new Model D.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri May 20, 2016 8:29 am

Back in 2009, a 'shoot-out' comparison was done using a vintage Model D, Voyager Performer, and Creamware MiniMax ASB (virtual Minimoog) instruments. For anyone interested, the write-up, test results, and sound samples (performance patches and raw waveforms) are available on KnobTweak:

KnobTweak > Files > Voyager> Vintage,Voyager, or Virtual
VVV.jpg
- Greg

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri May 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Here's a video I did between a 1978 mini and a Voyager select. Judge for yourself how they sound. I'll probably do a better one soon with a 1:1 osc comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvA4hdHpJfA

The Model D oscs are much brighter than those on the Voyager. The D is raw power whereas the Voyager is precise.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sat May 21, 2016 6:27 pm

I suspect you won't be happy with anything but the Model D simply because of the original's iconic status.

I have owned several Model Ds and one Voyager Old School. I only have the Voyager Old School now. Make of that what you will.

It all comes down to personal preferences, and there is no right or wrong path to take here.

A new Model D would certainly be more stable and reliable than the original for sure.

Expect a ton of threads comparing the original to the new Model D but the only thing that matters is how they sound to your ears.

I'm not even sure if this 'pilot' indicates a future production run from Asheville or whether it's just a marketing toe-in-the-water exercise.

fietspomp

Post by fietspomp » Sun May 22, 2016 11:59 am

First the Voyager was a modern Model D.
Then the Old School was a modern Model D
Now the new Model D is the modern Model D?

Makes me wonder if Moog Music is going well financially. If they depend so much on recycling the old Model D, apparently for marketing reasons?

I think the Sub 37 is much more interesting.

I just hope Moog Music will survive and one day there will be a poly moog.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sun May 22, 2016 2:55 pm

fietspomp wrote:First the Voyager was a modern Model D.
Then the Old School was a modern Model D
Now the new Model D is the modern Model D?

Makes me wonder if Moog Music is going well financially. If they depend so much on recycling the old Model D, apparently for marketing reasons?

I think the Sub 37 is much more interesting.

I just hope Moog Music will survive and one day there will be a poly moog.
I think Moog are doing just fine. They are responding to what their customers want.

The customers want a modern, highly capable analogue synth - voila! the Sub 37
They want a compact eurorack-compatible modular unit - et voila! the Mother 32
They want a new Minimoog Model D (something I thought I'd never see) et voila!

Hardly the sign of a failing enterprise is it? Moog pull rabbits out of hats like an old-time stage magician.

If enough of us want a new Polymoog, they will deliver, I'm sure.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sun May 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Synths and guitars both are valued for their tone and expressiveness, not new features. The heady days of a new synth technology every year are over. People want the synth to sound good. Model Ds, prophets, ARPs sound good. Teles, strats and Les Pauls sound good. Manufacturers makes, musicians buy.

Personally, I think the voyager failed in 2 areas: raw oscillators are too smoothed for high end bite and the range of controls are too conservative (there's no real overdriving in the mixer, its actually hard to get filter cutoff up out of hearing). The voyager design choices IMO went for cleaniness and perfection rather than something which needed to be tamed. Its not a mini, although its a fine synth.

B
I've stopped talking now.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon May 30, 2016 7:16 pm

LivePsy wrote:Synths and guitars both are valued for their tone and expressiveness, not new features. The heady days of a new synth technology every year are over. People want the synth to sound good. Model Ds, prophets, ARPs sound good. Teles, strats and Les Pauls sound good. Manufacturers makes, musicians buy.

Personally, I think the voyager failed in 2 areas: raw oscillators are too smoothed for high end bite and the range of controls are too conservative (there's no real overdriving in the mixer, its actually hard to get filter cutoff up out of hearing). The voyager design choices IMO went for cleaniness and perfection rather than something which needed to be tamed. Its not a mini, although its a fine synth.

B
There is truth is what you say regarding perfection. With the Voyager, Moog went a bit too far towards to the 'clean and perfect' sound (I still think it sounds excellent) but the D was the sum of its imperfections, a great sound made more by accident than by design. I certainly hope the new D sounds as good.

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Mon May 30, 2016 11:25 pm

Yes, I think we're all hoping the new D has those slightly out of control oscillators and bite.
I've stopped talking now.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm waiting for Nick Batt (Sonicstate) to have a go at it before I make any purchasing decisions. The guy's an infallible bellwether.

till

Post by till » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:46 pm

I own a 1979 minimoog since the mid eighties and for 13 years a Voyager.
They are different in sound character and possibilities.
You get modulation possibilities on the Voyager. And patch memory.
And the iconic original real Moog sound and a always wysiwyg UI on the good old vintage minimoog.
So I use them both.
I used one of these for every concert. Sometimes I like the patch memory more, sometimes the easy and on the fly sound settings of the minimoog D.

One can't replace the other to my ears and usage.
Both are fine analog mono synth instruments and not some plastic toys for grown-ups.

If you have to chose just one of these, it depends so much on your preferences. There is no way of helping you to do answer this question for you. You have to try them yourself. And chose what you feel most comfortable with.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16