Gooseneck Lamp

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
DanielHuw

Gooseneck Lamp

Post by DanielHuw » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:12 am

Do I have to get the official Moog branded lamp or will any 12v gooseneck lamp work? I tried one made by Numark but it didn't even lock onto the Voyager properly. Did I just get a duff one?

MC

Post by MC » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:01 pm

The one supplied by Moog is made by Littlelite. Numarks should work.

None of them will lock all the way. That is by design. It was done this way so that the light won't swivel freely. Most lamp applications are mixers, which have horizontal surfaces and the lamp swivels freely. You don't want this on that tilted Voyager panel.

You just twist it as far as you can, and the friction will hold the lamp in place.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:39 pm

How long do the bulbs last on them?

MC

Post by MC » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:53 am

The Littlelite on my mixer console is still on its original bulb after two years.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:53 am

MC wrote:The one supplied by Moog is made by Littlelite.
None of them will lock all the way. That is by design. It was done this way so that the light won't swivel freely. Most lamp applications are mixers, which have horizontal surfaces and the lamp swivels freely. You don't want this on that tilted Voyager panel.

You just twist it as far as you can, and the friction will hold the lamp in place.
Mike,

That doesn't make sense to me....if it won't lock, wouldn't it swivel even more freely? I was wondering about this because i have a Littlelite lamp from a mixer and it doesn't lock, as you have described, I am surprised that this is nominal behavior! :?:

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:18 am

It does actually hold quite well, I'm also surprised that it does not turn all the way, but it holds, and I don't mind if it does not lock. It is quite hard to turn though.

courtney214

Post by courtney214 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:28 am

Actually, the lamp will lock on -- after a wee bit of gentle persuasion anyway: Pliers.

Some may squint, but, I've used pliers on my se for months now with no adverse affect. It doesn't take much force at all to fully lock the lamp on this way. And moreover, I've found that I no longer even need to use pliers anymore, although the lamp is still somewhat difficult to lock into place. I now just use two hands...

As for concerns about swivel, locking the lamp into place actually stabilizes the lamp much better than not locking it into place. The lamp swivels, by design (whether locked or not), but certainly not freely and on it's own. It must be manually positioned into place.

I have found that not locking the lamp and depending upon friction alone is really not a good option (for me) because eventually the lamp will loosen and need to be re-tightened again -- or worse, fall on the floor.

The only drawback that I have encountered is that I now have some minor scratches on the chrome tightener part of the lamp itself. But this can be avoided if you simply pad the pliers, or, maybe even by using those little toy plastic pliers for kids or something.

For me, it's not really noticeable and I don't care about the scratches...

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:13 pm

I wondered about this myself. I saved myself some dosh and bought an inexpensive light and thought that it was because of that it never fit. Well, as was just described, it came loose on its own, swivelled to the side, fell to the floor and now it doesn't work. Does anyone here have the Moog light and knows for sure it doesn't fit snugly? I would *much* prefer to have it fit properly and swivel, than not attach at all, swivel and fall.

courtney214

Post by courtney214 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:01 pm

Hi Kelly,

Based upon my experience with the light supplied by Moog with my SE Voyager, the lamp will lock into place, and does fit snuggly. It will also swivel 360 degrees -- but not loosely, which is a good thing!

As I mentioned above, I did resort to using pliers to gently twist the lamp into the locking position at first, but over time the lamp becomes easier to lock into place by hand. However, once locked, you won't have worry about the lamp dangling around and falling off.

In short, the lamp supplied by Moog works perfectly with the Voyager, though unfortunately it's a bit difficult to lock into place at first.

I love it.

Of course, this reflects merely my experience with one lamp and one Voyager. But unless Moog has changed the type of lamps it supplies since my purchase, I don't see why your experience would differ greatly from my own.

Hope this helps
(courtney)

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:05 am

im pretty sure i have the moog version and i used pliers to tighten it all the way, it was too tight for my bare hands and i knew it was supposed go further down because the little cut out slots on the side have like a little dent at the end for the neck to chill on. I like that idea to use some padding so you dont smoosh the outter threads/grip.

very nice

and im out
ZEBRA

Kevin Bowden

Voyager Light

Post by Kevin Bowden » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:50 pm

I've never "gone the whole way" with my light (Sig Voyager #82) - I believe that it has been mentioned elsewhere earlier (either on here or Gas Station) that the fit is "somewhat tight" on the BNC connector.....noticed by lots of owners.

I don't believe that it is 'by design' - it just ended-up being that way !

Once you've 'forced it on' it will probably be easier the next time (and get easier thereafter).

A bit of force will not harm the mounting or internal connection - so long as you don't go 'ape'.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:02 am

I've tried that trick with the pliers, and I still can't get it to turn all the way. I don't want to use any more force than I already have.