Sample and Hold, again

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
r1n9o

Sample and Hold, again

Post by r1n9o » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm trying to achieve a fairly straight forward effect on a Voyager RME, but it's not quite working as expected. I'd like to have the filter set to a random frequency with each note played. In my current attempt, these are the relevant settings:

LFO Rate = 0
LFO Sync = KB
LFO2 Source = S+H
LFO2 Destination = Filt.
LFO2 Amount = 255 (full)
Filter Freq. = 128 (half)

The S+H is working, affecting the filter, but pressing a key doesn't trigger a new sample. The S+H cycle just continues at the LFO rate.

Any advice appreciated...

latigid on

Re: Sample and Hold, again

Post by latigid on » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Can you try with a very slow LFO rate? Also if you have the VX-351 expander you could patch the KB gate to the S&H gate.

LWG

Post by LWG » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:16 am

Hello,

The effect requires the trigger input for the sample and hold to be the keyboard gate, as latigid on has pointed out.
If you're using a Voyager RME, you will need a VX-352 to break out the keyboard gate.
Further, if you just use the unmodified signal to trigger the Voyager's filter cv input, the effect will be choppy and abrupt. For the filter frequency changes to be smooth, it requires a lag processor (as appears on the Moog CP-251).
This key-triggered s/h application appears in the original ARP Odyssey owner's manual/patch book, specifically the Roger Powell tutorial.

Regards,

-L

r1n9o

Post by r1n9o » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I did try a slow LFO rate: 0.

I guess wrongly assumed that setting LFO Sync=KB would retrigger the sampling because it's restarting the LFO. (Oddly, this setting actually has no effect when LFO Source = S+H. The samples just continue happening at the LFO rate, unfluenced by the KB.)

It's a shame the synth can't do it on its own. It's such a fundamental patching technique, IMHO.

Anyway, I've just recently aquired both VX boxes, so that should do it. Of course, a soon as my RME gets back from Moog after having its analog board replaced... :cry:

Thanks again for the tips.