Thinking of Downgrading from Voyager to Sub 37; Do I Dare?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
stewthom

Thinking of Downgrading from Voyager to Sub 37; Do I Dare?

Post by stewthom » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:06 am

Hi everyone,

I've been a happy owner of a Voyager PE for almost two years now, but have barely scratched the surface of what this instrument can do and don't really have much time to devote to become as fluent with it as I had hoped to be. The sound, though, oh God.

With that in mind (plus the fact that I'm still making payments on the Voyager), I'm considering selling it and "downgrading" to a Sub 37 as I'm primarily a guitar player, and am also keen to get into sequencing. I got a Mother 32 to work with the Voyager, but would perhaps get into it more if I had a single unit able to do both sequencing and other Moog-related experiments.

However, I do realize that I'd be forsaking the beauty of three oscillators, plus analogue envelopes, routing options and all that. It's not that I absolutely cannot afford to keep the Voyager, but I guess I'm feeling guilty about owning such a pricey and advanced piece of gear that I don't have the time I want to really learn how to master. Any feedback on pros or cons greatly appreciated.

Stew

bichuelo

Re: Thinking of Downgrading from Voyager to Sub 37; Do I Dar

Post by bichuelo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:21 pm

I have both, and well, IMHO the sound of the Voyager is miles ahead from that of the Sub 37. There is nothing that can replace a Voyager regarding that, let alone all of the extra features you are speaking about...
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:43 pm

The Sub 37 has a lot going for it, but I wouldn't sell my voyager for one.
Granted if I could not have my voyager but I could have a Sub 37, I would still find much joy there,
But I prefer the sound of the voyager, and the flexibility.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:22 am

Hi Stew.

I haven't played the Sub37, I've played a Voyager and use a LP and a SubP on a regular basis.
I will state the obvious here, but sometimes it can be useful to make a step backwards.

My point of view, besides sound and capabilities, is that you should go for the one you feel better playing with. The two important words here are YOU and FEEL.
I have hard times to separate sound and capabilities and... well,speaking for myself, what makes me like an instrument is a whole, something I can evaluate only by playing it.

I remember when Moog annoucend the Little Phatty, I was not as much as now into analogue synths, but I told myself: "seriously guys? 4 knobs?... nah." Four years later, I met one in a shop, switchedon and with headphones plugged in: I immediately had fun. One year later, I took a cool opportunty.

My advice: try the Sub37. Several times if necessary. And base your decision on the pleasure factor :)

partyboy

Post by partyboy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:07 pm

I own both a Voyager and Sub 37. Forget the Sub 37, the keybed on it is terrible. It also has other quality issues. The Sub 37 feels like a cheap toy compared to the Voyager, don't do it!

stewthom

Post by stewthom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Dramatic update! Have decided to stick with the Voyager, even though it's more expensive in the short term. Thanks everyone for talking me back from the ledge.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:53 pm

stewthom wrote:Dramatic update! Have decided to stick with the Voyager, even though it's more expensive in the short term. Thanks everyone for talking me back from the ledge.
An excellent choice that you won't regret. Explore the complete feature set as you can find the time to do so - you will be rewarded!

When you're ready to move further, consider joining us on KnobTweak. There's a decade's worth of Voyager material there to keep you busy for many, many happy hours!

Cheers!

- Greg