The future of the Voyager...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EricK

The future of the Voyager...

Post by EricK » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:54 pm

Do you guys think that the Voyager will hold up as well as the old MiniMoog considering that it has the digital integration and the software platform?

What do you see the value of the Voyager in 35 years?

DOes anyone have any comments about the collectibility of this synth or any of the Moogerfoogers or basically any of the modern Moog Products?
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:28 pm

I can't predict the future, but in short the answer is yes. Here's my reasoning:
1) The Voyager is the only semi-modular synth Bob Moog ever made himself.

2) The Voyager is constructed with better components

3) MC owns about everything Moog and he's an EE, and he said yesterday that in a blind test he thinks they sound almost identical (other reviews have stated this as well)

4) The Voyager can do a lot more than the Model D soundwise and has modern technology like an OS, patch memory, MIDI, and the touchscreen.

5) The backlighting is not only astetically pleasing, but it also makes gigs easier.

6) Even a stick of gum becomes a collector's item if it is old enough.

As for what will be the most valued? I think the Performers will be at the low end, the EBs next, then the Signatures (the backlighting was not available and people have fear of the glitches some have had even though it was fixed), then the AE's and the Signed AE's will be the most valued because they are the 50th anniversary edition and signed by Dr. Bob. The special wood ones from Big City Music will also be up there.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Forgot about the MFs.

The 104 SD will be the most valued, followed by the original 104. The 50th anniversary MFs will be worth more than the ones that are not. I didn't even know they made them, but I ordered all of the MFs except the 104 and the AE at once and all of them (except the 104) have the 50th anniversary badge. That was a nice treat.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:43 pm

Badged Foogers?

Can you post pics?

till

Re: The future of the Voyager...

Post by till » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:02 pm

EricK wrote:What do you see the value of the Voyager in 35 years?
If you would have asked the same question about the miniommg 20 or more years ago, the answer would have been:
"NO! The synths are getting better and better and even become polyphonic."

As long as we don't have a working looking-glass, we won't be able to get a real answer to this and the other questions of you.
But as alternative answer to your questions:
see the value o the old Moogs and compare it to the used prices of other synths of the same age and old list price: Moog was special then, today and will most likely be special in the future.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

gd

Post by gd » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:15 pm

I can just imagine the post here thought... "The new MiniV sure doesn't sound like the old Voyager, not as phat, too smooth, and how did they play those old things live - it couldn't even read your mind and you actually had to hit those black and white things to make a sound, You old guys from back in the day how do you feel about the new Moog, does the accompanying hologram really look and sound like Bob Moog?"
Mini D, P'08 ..

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 pm

There are pictures of my studio on squarewave. I'm not sure if any of them show the badges. They are on the right side panel if you look at them head on. It's the same as the AE badge and is inset into the panel. I'm in the process of moving, but I'll try and get a good picture for you.

dejon

Post by dejon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:45 pm

Lengai said as for what will be the most valued? I think the Performers will be at the low end, the EBs next, then the Signatures (the backlighting was not available and people have fear of the glitches some have had even though it was fixed), then the AE's and the Signed AE's will be the most valued because they are the 50th anniversary edition and signed by Dr. Bob. The special wood ones from Big City Music will also be up there.

I happend to feel that the Signature Edition will be the most valued voyager because they were signed, inspected and certified by Dr. Moog. They also have the gold name tag and only 600 were made worldwide. It seems that low availability of a product helps to crease it's value.
If you take into consideration that some Sig. Edition owners had their Voyagers changed over to the AE that knocks the number of available SE down even more.
This is all speculation of course.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:34 pm

dejon,

I would agree totally with you about the sigs except for the "glitch fear." That's the main reason why I didn't put them on top. The other considerations are the backlighting and that the last 100 AEs were signed (not sure if inspected) by Dr. Bob. I actually hope the sigs are worth more in the future because it's a bum deal for people to invest in the sigs just to have signed AEs come out 2 years later. I guess the "glitch fear" is going to be a determining factor, but since it really isn't a factor it hopefully won't tarnish the sigs' price.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm not worried the value of about SE units, esp with those snazzy brass badges and hardwoods not found in the other models 8)

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:00 pm

What about a walnut Electric Blue?

MC

Post by MC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Never heard of a walnut EB.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:47 pm

Here:

http://www.bigcitymusic.com/product.asp ... id=1000504

Moog has many special editions if you look around! And they are pricy!! :o

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:37 pm

Won't it solely depend on the total number produced? I mean if it runs and runs with countless more special editions, value will be far less.

Does anyone know what the current annual production of Voyagers is?

I've heard a few people saying the whole 'analogue bubble' will burst within a couple of years but I would disagree.Personally I think there's a strange sort of appeal about this retro sort of thing, look at the cult following developing for vinyl etc. :?

Now, where did i put my Jesus sandals?

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:56 pm

This analogue vs digital thing reminds me of the vintage vs new guitar craze that began in the late 70s and early 80s. It's still with us. Old beat up Fenders are still fetching great prices. Same holds true with the tube vs solid state (and now digital modeling) amps. Vintage tube amp prices escalated and still haven't come down. In fact, they created a cottage industry of hand built boutique amps. This all happened before the advent of synth collectibles. I don't see current or vintage Moog gear prices dropping too far. In fact, I think they will hold their value quite well. While these digital synths with their proprietary chips and what not start getting old, parts will disappear. They will become unrepairable. Analogue synths have a better chance of being repaired a lot longer in the future.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney