Mixer out with effects pedals

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Trumpet37

Mixer out with effects pedals

Post by Trumpet37 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:59 pm

I have a brand new voyager xl. I am trying to hook it up to several effects pedals including a moogerfooger 104m-sd. I am going from mixer out to pedal in and from pedal out to my amplifier. With all pedals I am getting a constant noise as if a key was depressed. What am i doing wrong? And how else can I patch this to make unique sounds? Pedals do work when I go from audio out but not from mixer out.

Drew H

Re: Mixer out with effects pedals

Post by Drew H » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:49 am

You just use the Mix out/Filter in jack on the back panel, but you must use a "Y" adapter for this. The signal goes out and back in to this jack. I wouldnt link this jack to the pedal jack if I were you because you are sending the signal to an output as far as I can see. I may be incorrect as I dont have the XL, and I hope I have answered your question accurately. Page 17 in the manual explains this really well.

Merry melodies!!
Voyager EB, CP251,VX351,MF 102,103,105,107,EP1,Mother 32 x2, Dark Time, Dark Energy, Quasimidi Cyber 6, Raven, Polymorph, 309 x2, Sirius, Technox, Microkorg, MC 505, Roland W30 x2, Yamaha CS01, ARP Omni 2, EMU Proteus x2, Roland RE20, Eminent Solina Organ

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:40 pm

The jack you are using is an insert jack. You need an insert cable. This will run all of the pedals in your chain back through the XL's filter, then routed through to the output. Then to your amp.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:28 pm

IIRC, the 104 through the mixer I/O doesn't give a very good result. Use the audio output for the 104.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

guarachiguaro

Post by guarachiguaro » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:46 am

I have a diffrent problem with the mixer out/filter in jack; I'm confident that I have it connected correctly with tip as send and ring as return but there's no sound at all when i engage pedals; I've tried several, and several cables too. I think it's broken but I just want to check that there's no internal setting that I may have changed that will affect it (I think not). THanks!

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 am

Trumpet37 wrote:I have a brand new voyager xl. I am trying to hook it up to several effects pedals including a moogerfooger 104m-sd. I am going from mixer out to pedal in and from pedal out to my amplifier. With all pedals I am getting a constant noise as if a key was depressed. What am i doing wrong? And how else can I patch this to make unique sounds? Pedals do work when I go from audio out but not from mixer out.
To answer the OP question. The reason you are getting that result is this: The Mixer out/Filter in Jack comes right after the mixer, but before the filter and VCA in the signal chain, so you are getting the oscillators, noise, and external input, or whatever you have turned up in the mixer section, and the oscillators and noise are constantly on. When you "press a key" it is triggers the envelope generators which usually control the filter and VCA. It is the VCA, which comes after the filter that opens and closes to shut off or let out the sound. It's like a noise gate.
So, you either need to route your effects back into the voyager with the return line of the mixer out/filter in insert jack, or you need an external VCA which would be triggered by either the envelope on the Voyager, or an external envelope generator. Hope this helps.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer