Initial Impressions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
industrial_gypsy

Initial Impressions

Post by industrial_gypsy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:03 pm

Hi,

Very new to this forum, but I've just received Kevin Bowden's Sig. Edition Voyager #82. I've spent the best part of the night ignoring the wife and kids and twiddling with my new toy.

First things first, Kevin's been an absolute pleasure to deal with, and I only wish i could have bought the synth under happier circumstances. Anyway thanks Kevin, it's gone to a good home.

Initial thoughts are it's an incredible synth which oozes quality throughout. I've spent the last 18 months going through various VA's inc. Supernova, Nord Lead (1), K-Station etc and whilst they're all more instantly gratifying, and excellent in their own way, nothing I've tried comes close to the sheer weight and depth of sound of this thing. I'm delighted with it.

Now can somebody tell me how to play chords on it? :?

Sweep

Re: Initial Impressions

Post by Sweep » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:58 pm

industrial_gypsy wrote:Now can somebody tell me how to play chords on it? :?
:D It's said you can get true polyphony if you hook up enough Voyager RMEs. I don't know if anyone's had that much money to spend, yet, though.

If you have a softsynth like the Arturia MiniMoog or Modular V you can control it polyphonically from the Voyager and blend the two sounds (which is well worth doing anyway, mono or not). Of course the Voyager itself will still be monophonic that way, but you can still get some very effective Moog chord work.

On the other hand, someone on here said once, the Voyager only plays one note at a time - but what a note!

Anyway, you got a good deal with Kevin's synth. I seriously thought about it myself instead of buying an RME. I hope things improve for Kevin before too long.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:47 pm

Initial thoughts are it's an incredible synth which oozes quality throughout.

Wow, my exact initial thaught.

The more I use the Voyager, the happier I am.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Jyoti

Re: Initial Impressions

Post by Jyoti » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:30 pm

industrial_gypsy wrote:Now can somebody tell me how to play chords on it? :?
I wrote a track last night where my Voyager was playing all the chords...

...of course, they were all major chords as that's what I'd tuned the oscillators to.

:)

I think next I'll try to plan out a song a bit more and do multiple passes for minors and other fancy jobbies.

I know I could use a polysynth more easily but there's something about the Voyager's one-finger chording that I love. The sound of it is sooo lovely!

monads

Post by monads » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:04 pm

Yep, it's the sound of the voyager that got me into analog and really not in favor of virtual analog. although those instruments still have their place for me, especially with pads.

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:11 am

I think the voyager and most Moogs for that matter are instruments that are just great to own. It's difficult to describe without disintegrating into a load of dewey eyed waffle, but the sound for me is vibrant and powerful (oops there I go), you can tell it a mile off.

Don't understand why they didn't go for blue backlighting on the LCD mind, but hey, that's all I would change!