Voyager XL Tolex

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
obscure wave music

Voyager XL Tolex

Post by obscure wave music » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Dear members,

For two weeks now, I have been the proud owner of serial 082/100 Tolex Voyager.
A work of art...However, I've experienced a strange behaviour and wanted to know if any of
you people had experienced something similar. Here it is: When turning any of the knobs on
the front panel - exept those on the patch panel, the ' sync ' LED in the LFO2 modul flashes,
and the rate of LFO2 changes. Thus, it is impossible to set a rate for LFO2 that doesn't change
when making edits. Now, the manual states that the ' sync ' LED flashes when receiving MIDI.
However, no midi is plugged into the XL. Conclusion: there is some kind of feedback of CC's being
sent by the front panel knobs back to the internals of the XL. I got proof of this by disabling
midi communication in the master page: turning midi reception and sending off.
When doing this, the XL behaved normally.

Can anyone say if they've had a similar experience ? To my feeling, it is a nasty bug.
I sent Moog an e-mail. They promised to answer within 2 or 3 days, but I haven't heard of them.

Thank you all and greetings from Belgium,
Philip
If feel a bit dissapointed: this beast costs €6000 over here in Europe. They could at least
give me an answer.

macteacher

Re: Voyager XL Tolex

Post by macteacher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:38 pm

this doesn't happen with my Tolex, though I thought it was happening when I first read your post.

Dialing around a bit and setting the LFO for a slow rate confirmed that this wasn't happening for me.

My question is if this happens on all your presets and also on all modulation settings on the front panel…

Also check your LFO SYNC settings and dial around with those.

post your results!

obscure wave music

Post by obscure wave music » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi macteacher,
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying myself. I had trouble logging in....
It does indeed happen on all presets. Regarding the sync settings, I must admit I haven't
checked this ( I'm not at the instrument right now ).However these settings should not be of relevance, since I have no midi being sent to the instrument, not even a cable plugged in. I could try to disable midi control function of the pots in the " local control " page.....
Thanks for showing intrest in my problem and best regards

macteacher

Post by macteacher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:46 pm

The only reason I asked about all presets was I think using pot mapping you can generate midi with nothing hooked up.

I'd say load up INIT PARAMETERS as well as ‘REAL PANEL PARAM’ in the menus and see if it still happens.

If so, call Moog.