What happened to OS 3.6

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
NickGrooves

Re: What happened to OS 3.6

Post by NickGrooves » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:20 am

One thing I love about Møog instruments is I don't have to worry about understanding computer stuff like bytes and bits. I know which end of a MIDI cable goes where (I can discern male/female) but all these threads about SysEx and bank dumps and now I'm discovering my OS 3.5 isn't the latest OS and maybe I should upgrade ... :?

I submitted to join KnobTweak. I plan to download OS 3.6 file(s), and the instructions, the Menu menu, etc. But I can't say I will take the plunge to install it. Unless the number of presets is going to grow, or an arpeggiator comes along (and I understand due to memory space, that ain't gonna happen), I just don't see the advantage at this juncture.

Am I alone? Is everyone else running 3.6 and thinks I am weird? Is my Voyager like my desktop computer and must always have the latest update version? or can I just play and perform with 3.5 and live a happy life?
Voyager select
Mother-32
Hammond XK-3c
Emu Proteus 2000
ProTools

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Hey NickGrooves,

I'm running 3.5 on my RME. When Moog posts a later version on their website I will update, but not until then. I am in a similar situation with my DSI Tetra. There is a newer version OS available, however like Moog, Dave Smith Instruments does not list it on their site.

I am not experiencing any problems with my Voyager or Tetra and don't need any more features, so why risk an update when it is not official? I do have the Bob Moog startup screen though. :)

Mark

NickGrooves

Post by NickGrooves » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:25 pm

I just want to say for the record, every time I have visited the factory in Asheville I've been impressed by the staff. And I have the utmost confidence that Greg and Rudi know what they're doing. But since the warranty period is expired, and I'm not having any issues *yet* I just don't see the advantage to upgrading.

I saw the Moog newsletter yesterday with a photo of the Model D (you know, the one with no computer). It would take me much longer to achieve the sounds I like without some of these presets, but the old-school is appealing.
Voyager select
Mother-32
Hammond XK-3c
Emu Proteus 2000
ProTools

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:57 am

The difference between OS 3.5 and OS 3.6 really comes down to refinements in the firmware. There's nothing 'wrong' with OS 3.5. If you compare the OS 3.6 menu charts against your OS 3.5 (or an earlier OS), you should be able to see the differences. If there's any feature or change that compels you to update, then go for it, otherwise stay put.

Either way, no harm done.

Janek

Post by Janek » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am

Release 04.09.2017 :)
Thanks RUDI!
Attachments
82F852AF-4634-429E-AB27-5B2AD1EE0EE7.jpeg

RL

Post by RL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi Janek,
great!
Is the keyboard working correctly now?

Have fun,
Rudi
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

Janek

Post by Janek » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:28 am

Hi, Rudi!
No, I'm still waiting for new Fatar keybed from Moog...
Janek

Rokatansky

Post by Rokatansky » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi
Is this is the latest update?

3.6 04/09/2017 boot 3.6?

Thanks

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:08 am

Hello Rokatansky,

The last Voyager OS posted on KnobTweak is 3.6_Beta, with a 1/6/16 release date. Yours seems to be later than that by more than a year, but perhaps it's the same thing as the beta. But to answer your question, AFIAK OS 3.6 is the latest and last OS. Rudi can confirm.

Speaking of KnobTweak, Yahoo recently announced that Groups will no longer host user created content after 12/13/19. That means that all of the KnobTweak files will go away after that date, so grab anything that you want/need before then.

Right now I have no plans to resurrect KnobTweak elsewhere, due mainly to the fact that nearly all of the KT file content is for instruments that Moog no longer makes (Voyager, Little Phatty, Taurus, original Moogerfoogers, etc.), and most members have already downloaded and shared that content on other social media platforms. That said, I'm open to suggestions on how to best preserve those resources. Thoughts?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:59 am

You can upload it to archive.org

Please do so! Those files are a treasure
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:53 am

Hi guys-

I believe I still hold the honor of requesting the latest bug fix and feature addition in OS 3.6 as described in these 2 links. Note the date of the second link that matches up with the date on the latest OS 3.6 release (4/8/2017).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28084

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28084

Most won't care about these changes unless you're deep into programming the Voyager using both midi and CV control. For my purposes Rudi's firmware make's the Voyager the best combined midi/CV controller out there for operating external gear. I hope he knows his efforts continue to be greatly appreciated!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks for the refresh Markyboard. Don't know how I missed that release.

As you probably know, Rudi has been there every step of the way with bug fixes and feature enhancements over the many years that the Voyager was in production, and deserves a great deal of thanks for his tireless efforts supporting the Voyager. We are lucky to have had him with us!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:07 am

bichuelo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:59 am You can upload it to archive.org

Please do so! Those files are a treasure
Thanks for the suggestion Bichuelo. I'll check it out.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:37 pm

+1 huge thanks to Rudi for all the continued patches etc on the Voyager OS

and yes, I hope the Knobtweaks files get archived somewhere, thanks Greg and everyone else who made them available. extremely useful