Voyager Old School or ARP Odyssey mk2?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tjohal93

Voyager Old School or ARP Odyssey mk2?

Post by tjohal93 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi

might seem silly asking advice on a moog vs an arp on a moog forum, but here goes

I have the option of an Odyssey mk 2 for £1,400 or an old school for £1,200

which one shall I pick? My main reason for wanting one is to add sounds such as the ones found on Who's Next and Quadrophenia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R0igKESJUY Cut My Hair by The Who (skip to chorus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_pPf7OqiE Bargain by The Who

you all know Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again, but those general sounds is what I want to layer on top. What do you guys recommend?

jsharpphoto

Re: Voyager Old School or ARP Odyssey mk2?

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:31 am

In my opinion, this is a no-brainer. Get the Moog.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

tjohal93

Post by tjohal93 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks! Any particular reasons why?

domingoangel

Post by domingoangel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:50 pm

If the Moog OS has had it's analog board replaced post 2014, go for that otherwise it's the Obi.
:|

david

Post by david » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:20 pm

My first synth was an Arp Odyssey Mk.2. I currently own a Moog Voyager and have spent quite a bit of time recreating Arp sounds on my Moog. They're very, very similar instruments but I would give the edge to the Moog for the following reasons: It has an extra VCO, 2 full ADSR envelope generators, the aux input on the Moog is more versatile than the Odyssey's, and the electronic components are 30yrs younger.

tjohal93

Post by tjohal93 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:56 am

david wrote:My first synth was an Arp Odyssey Mk.2. I currently own a Moog Voyager and have spent quite a bit of time recreating Arp sounds on my Moog. They're very, very similar instruments but I would give the edge to the Moog for the following reasons: It has an extra VCO, 2 full ADSR envelope generators, the aux input on the Moog is more versatile than the Odyssey's, and the electronic components are 30yrs younger.
thanks!! So the Old School can still do ARP sounds like The Who then?

I want to use the synth mainly for layered effects as opposed to straight up keyboard playing, is the moog still ideal?

Also, even though you can only play one note at a time, the extra VCO can still make it as textured as playing two notes on an ARP? Or not?

cheers!

tjohal93

Post by tjohal93 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:37 pm

david wrote:My first synth was an Arp Odyssey Mk.2. I currently own a Moog Voyager and have spent quite a bit of time recreating Arp sounds on my Moog. They're very, very similar instruments but I would give the edge to the Moog for the following reasons: It has an extra VCO, 2 full ADSR envelope generators, the aux input on the Moog is more versatile than the Odyssey's, and the electronic components are 30yrs younger.
thanks! If I'm using it more for modulation and sounds as opposed to straight up keys playing, does the moog still win?

david

Post by david » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:15 am

The Arp is a great sound effects machine. It's modulation capabilities are really nice. If this was a choice between a mid 70's Minimoog and a Mk. 2 Arp Odyssey and your main interest was in creating sound effects, then I would most certainly recommend the Odyssey. But a 21st century Voyager is light years ahead of a Minimoog in terms of modulation.

Both instruments can do 'oscillator sync' and 'cross modulation' and this is where most of your sound effects action occurs. Both units feature 'sample & hold' which is the basis for many Who synth sounds. You can use the VCO 3 on the Voyager as a second LFO and still have two VCOs left for audio. The built in ring mod and the choice between pink and white noise are a couple of areas where the Arp gets the edge over the Moog.

Do you have the opportunity to spend time with the instruments? It may come down to a preference for Arp sliders or Moog knobs.

D.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:23 am

I have a test to find out whether I like a synth or not. But it requires being able to play them in person, but it doesn't have to be a side by sid sort of thing. Just yesterday, I was in the presence of the Korg Arp.

Begin test:

Start playing notes. Assuming it's in a music store, some random person has probably just messed with all the knobs, so odds are its going to sound like garbage. Here is where the real test begins. How hard is it to get the synth to behave? In yesterday's case, the ARP was latching and I couldn't figure out why. It took 10 minutes to figure it out, being completely unfamiliar with the machine. What I learned along the way: I really hate sliders on synths, and I don't like the layout of the ARP. To me, a lot of what I like or don't like about a synth is the interaction.

Do you find yourself fighting with a synth, or inspired by it?

Since you are asking between these two, I'm going to guess you haven't played both of them.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

tjohal93

Post by tjohal93 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:29 am

thank you all for your replies! I intend to try them both out soon yes

I agree the interface is an interesting one, I'm not too sure what I like best, Moogs came acoss as my 'keyboardy' acording to some but I'll have to test it. Size is also something for me, I just want it for my bedroom for now.

Modulation is my main use for it, but dow the line I might develop a taste for playing keys!

What do you guys think of the EML 101 btw?

david

Post by david » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:38 pm

I don't really understand what you mean by 'keyboardy'. The vast majority of integrated mono synths do have a keyboard. A keyboard is just a controller and, as a controller, the keyboard on the Odyssey is a little one dimensional. It triggers a sound and that's about it. The keyboard controller on the Voyager gives you a lot more flexibility, in the modulation department, with the inclusion of velocity and aftertouch.

I've never played an EML 101 but, if you've got the opportunity to pick one up and it's in good condition, I'd jump on it. The patch panel puts this synth in a different league making it more of a semi modular. Doesn't interface all that well with other synths tho. It's not quite the 1 volt per octave standard. But as a self contained instrument it's fab.

Two other suggestions for you: Check out the Octave CAT SRM. It was manufactured mid to late 70s and is very, very similar to the Odyssey. It's a very nice synth for sound effects. If you'd like to avoid keyboards altogether, there's the Korg MS 20m. This synth has been gathering a lot of really nice reviews and it has something that none of the other synths we've discussed has: an envelope follower! There's a MIDI input so you can control it with the MIDI controller of your choice!

D.

tjohal93

Post by tjohal93 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:20 pm

david wrote:I don't really understand what you mean by 'keyboardy'. The vast majority of integrated mono synths do have a keyboard. A keyboard is just a controller and, as a controller, the keyboard on the Odyssey is a little one dimensional. It triggers a sound and that's about it. The keyboard controller on the Voyager gives you a lot more flexibility, in the modulation department, with the inclusion of velocity and aftertouch.

I've never played an EML 101 but, if you've got the opportunity to pick one up and it's in good condition, I'd jump on it. The patch panel puts this synth in a different league making it more of a semi modular. Doesn't interface all that well with other synths tho. It's not quite the 1 volt per octave standard. But as a self contained instrument it's fab.

Two other suggestions for you: Check out the Octave CAT SRM. It was manufactured mid to late 70s and is very, very similar to the Odyssey. It's a very nice synth for sound effects. If you'd like to avoid keyboards altogether, there's the Korg MS 20m. This synth has been gathering a lot of really nice reviews and it has something that none of the other synths we've discussed has: an envelope follower! There's a MIDI input so you can control it with the MIDI controller of your choice!

D.
sorry, perhaps this is naive of me but I can imagine something like a moog tp be more of a traditional keyboardists choice, whereas I imagine other things like an EML to be used more just for modulation purposes, pressing just one note at a time. So in this case you have got it right that a keyboard is just a controller. One analogy is that I can imagine a solo being played on a moog, I can't on an EML - but thats just me and I'm an amateur to all this! Anyway enough of that

Ok thanks for the EML tip, it does seem quite interesting and its a rare one. What do you make of the patch system?

I have heard about the octave cat! I will research more into it, but I can get the Odyssey for a fairly decent price so would probably opt for an Odyssey over it. The MS-20 interests me too, thanks for the suggestions!!

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:17 pm

To me it's all about feel and tone - does an instrument inspire you, and does it sound good? So I'd agree with what's been said about trying both synths and seeing what happens.

My experience covers both the Voyager and the ARP Axxe (though not the Odyssey - yet, anyway). I found the more limited Axxe stimulated me to play music far more than the Voyager does, and on the whole I have far more positive experiences with the Axxe and several other synths than I do with the Voyager.

Other people's experiences may differ, and that's why different instruments have become favoured by different people. My own preference for ARP instruments doesn't prove anything, except the importance of finding out for yourself what makes most sense musically.

Finally, regarding the `keyboardy' question, I know just what you mean. The Moog is likely to feel better under the fingers because it's a new instrument, and also because Voyager keyboards are superb - at least, mine is, being one of the Fatar keyboards, but an Oldskool presumably won't be a Fatar keyboard so I don't know quite how that would be by comparison. But certainly the Fatar Voyager keyboard positively invites the Rick Wakeman stuff when you play it.

But essentially, regardless of all technical specs and all arguments, the only real test is when you play a synth and find out what happens between you and it.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

tjohal93

Post by tjohal93 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Sweep wrote:To me it's all about feel and tone - does an instrument inspire you, and does it sound good? So I'd agree with what's been said about trying both synths and seeing what happens.

My experience covers both the Voyager and the ARP Axxe (though not the Odyssey - yet, anyway). I found the more limited Axxe stimulated me to play music far more than the Voyager does, and on the whole I have far more positive experiences with the Axxe and several other synths than I do with the Voyager.

Other people's experiences may differ, and that's why different instruments have become favoured by different people. My own preference for ARP instruments doesn't prove anything, except the importance of finding out for yourself what makes most sense musically.

Finally, regarding the `keyboardy' question, I know just what you mean. The Moog is likely to feel better under the fingers because it's a new instrument, and also because Voyager keyboards are superb - at least, mine is, being one of the Fatar keyboards, but an Oldskool presumably won't be a Fatar keyboard so I don't know quite how that would be by comparison. But certainly the Fatar Voyager keyboard positively invites the Rick Wakeman stuff when you play it.

But essentially, regardless of all technical specs and all arguments, the only real test is when you play a synth and find out what happens between you and it.
thank you! Totally right, I've started to go out and try them. Tried the Korg Odyssey, was a decent bit of kit for the money!