What is missing from a Voyager XL?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jsharpphoto

What is missing from a Voyager XL?

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Not much, I know.

I have an XL on order. Should be here in early January. I was starting to think if there were any 5u modules that would compliment the XL. I was thinking about building a 22 space .com unit to pair with the XL. But what to include? I don't really need more oscillators, or a "ladder style filter" if it's an add-on for the voyager.

Definitely a sequencer. Maybe two. Fixed Filter Bank, for sure. Sping reverb? I'd like to hear some suggestions.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

jsharpphoto

Re: What is missing from a Voyager XL?

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:15 pm

If the modular forum would be better, maybe a moderator can move it.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

I have an XL and I have thought about this some,
But not too much because I can't afford to build
A modular supplement yet, but here are some things I have
Come up with, not in order:
.com instrument interface
Multiples, attenuators, vcadsr, cp3 mixer, high pass or multi mode filter(mod can matrix 12 style looks cool)
Fixed filter bank, wavefolder/rectifier, e350 Morphing terrarium
Analog craftsman 4x instrument interface(for using stomp boxes)
Spring reverb is cool of course(not modules but Vermona retroverb and ekdahl moisturizer were
What I was looking at)
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:44 am

I have also thought about getting the Polivoks filter from analog craftsman. Apparently it is very accurate to the original.

Any other advise?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:56 am

I'm not too thrilled with the dotcom filter bank. I'm going to get rid of it for the moslab. The dotcom doesn't have the resonance I was hoping for and the volume drop seemed like it was totally unnecessary.

A delay is a must for the Voyager.
Multimode filter.
STG Mixer is also nice for vintage Moog distortion, but it's calibrated for the dotcom oscs and needs to be adjusted for the Voyager's output.
Moog 10 band eq is a nice substitute for the FFB, as is a Murf. Or the Parametric EQ
Sequencer is a must if you like that route.
The Atomic Shadow RF Nomad is a cool CV shortwave radio receiver (excellent noise source).
EXH Graphic Fuzz for some dirtying up the signal path.
Anvil Case!
Sputnik West Coast Ramdom Source (Buchla clone of the source of uncertainty module. )
STG MANKATO performs many functions.
Neural Agonizer (reverb with lots of CV)
Vermona VSR3 reverb.
Ringmod.

I'd go with the harvestman polivoks because I think he has it licensed from the actual designer of that synth.

I'm not really a fan of having effects in my modular. I prefer outboard effects because the module space is really premium real-estate in the cabinet.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:03 am

EricK wrote:I'm not too thrilled with the dotcom filter bank. I'm going to get rid of it for the moslab. The dotcom doesn't have the resonance I was hoping for and the volume drop seemed like it was totally unnecessary.

A delay is a must for the Voyager.
Multimode filter.
STG Mixer is also nice for vintage Moog distortion, but it's calibrated for the dotcom oscs and needs to be adjusted for the Voyager's output.
Moog 10 band eq is a nice substitute for the FFB, as is a Murf. Or the Parametric EQ
Sequencer is a must if you like that route.
The Atomic Shadow RF Nomad is a cool CV shortwave radio receiver (excellent noise source).
EXH Graphic Fuzz for some dirtying up the signal path.
Anvil Case!
Sputnik West Coast Ramdom Source (Buchla clone of the source of uncertainty module. )
STG MANKATO performs many functions.
Neural Agonizer (reverb with lots of CV)
Vermona VSR3 reverb.
Ringmod.

I'd go with the harvestman polivoks because I think he has it licensed from the actual designer of that synth.

I'm not really a fan of having effects in my modular. I prefer outboard effects because the module space is really premium real-estate in the cabinet.
Thanks for the write up. That's some solid advice. I THINK the harvestman polivoks is only in Eurorack format. The analog craftsman version is also designed by the creator and sourced from original components (where available)
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:38 am

Hi jsharpphoto,

Lots of good ideas in this thread, all of which will take you down the modular rabbit hole, never to return. ;-)

I suppose the first place to start is to ask yourself is what kind of music are you making? That decision will guide you towards some modules and away from others.

Most of your decisions will likely come in the form of modules that can be inserted in the XL’s Mix Out / Filter In jack. Things like filters and sound manglers/modifiers.

For filters, there are a lot to choose from. The dotcom Q107 State Variable Filter will give you low/band/high/notch responses (12db/Oct, with all outputs available at once in two spaces). Ditto for the Happy Nerding Fun VCF, a Polivoks-based dual VCF in a single space (but no notch filter). Either would take the XL into new sonic territory. Others? Eric already mentioned the STG Mankato, but take a look at the STG Sea Devils Filter (EMS clone) and the STG Post Lawsuit LPF (ARP clone). Corsynth makes the C101 OTA LPF (Roland filter clone). Of course, I’m leaving out offerings by MosLab, COTK, et all, but the ones I specifically mentioned seem to have reasonable delivery times (MosLab is currently fully booked and won’t be shipping new orders until Sept 2016!).

As for sound manglers/modifiers, the STG Wave Folder is a great one, and the Happy Nerding FM Aid is a cool way to introduce some FM textures to your sound. Another module to consider here is the Corsynth Freq Divider/Multiplier, which can be used both as a sub-oscillator and super-oscillator. Makes a single oscillator sound huge.

Erik also mentioned the STG Mixer. Caveats aside, it’s a great choice (and you’re going to want another mixer anyway). I also agree with his assessment of the dotcom Q127 FFB - it is a bit of a let-down. You might be better served with a MuRF here.

On the modulation side, one LFO module to definitely consider is the new dotcom Q167 LFO++, a combo LFO, VCO, and EG. Although you said you didn’t think you’d need more oscillators, the Q167 will provide unique wave shapes that you won’t get from the XL. And as an LFO, this thing will go down to 0.015Hz (one cycle in 60+ seconds – great for slowly evolving textures). Highly recommended (and no, I don’t work for Synthesizers.com).

Finally, you might want to take a look at my ‘Tips & Tricks’ article about processing the Voyager’s oscillators independently:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23002

You can get a lot of variation out of a Voyager using this simple technique with just the gear that you have… and your wallet will thank you!

- Greg

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Good grief. I'm getting quite anxious waiting for my XL to arrive.

I'm rather impatient.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:19 pm

I am fairly certain there is a voyager out there somewhere missing only one thing, ME! :lol: :lol:

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:34 am

Still waiting on my XL to ship, so I "wasted" far too much time today playing on modulargrid.net

I'm looking at a 2 row, 44 space cabinet, using dotcom power modules. I took everyone's advice on what to add, and what to avoid. Currently, I have the dotcom Fixed Filter Bank as a placeholder. If Mos-Lab gets caught up before I am ready for the FFB, i'll look at theirs, or Club of Knobs. I do like that dotcom's FFB has a CV expansion module, to modulate each band. I went ahead and threw in one of the Q106 oscillators just for good measure, I can either stack it with the voyager or run it on it's own off of one of the sequencer lanes.

Look it over, and see if I missed anything.

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/249243
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Well I took the plunge.

I ordered 22 spaces worth of modules.

Power control modules from dotcom and the internal power supply and harness.
Q106 oscillator
Q119 sequencer
Q quantizer
Dotcom VCA
Dotcom Envelope Generator
Dotcom mults
Moon Modular midi to cv clock
AcVOKS filter
STG pulse matrix
STG 5 channel mixer
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

J C Selector

Post by J C Selector » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:17 am

Re original question ?
Answer = ms20 mini

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:57 am

J C Selector wrote:Re original question ?
Answer = ms20 mini
Pass. I had an MS-20m for approximately 6 weeks. Not my thing. The filter sounds weak. And after seeing the poor build quality of the mini version, and the fact that it's 1/8th jacks... Nonsense. That's a chunk of garbage.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm wondering how the mix of XL and 5U modular work together. I suspect the modular takes over. From the experiments I have done with other analogs and Voyager EB, the external inputs are smoothed for slow CV and don't respond well to audio frequency modulation. Try an external oscillator to Voyager VCO in and you'll hear the fm amount reduce down to zero as you increase the ext oscillator frequency.

B
I've stopped talking now.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:37 am

LivePsy wrote:I'm wondering how the mix of XL and 5U modular work together. I suspect the modular takes over. From the experiments I have done with other analogs and Voyager EB, the external inputs are smoothed for slow CV and don't respond well to audio frequency modulation. Try an external oscillator to Voyager VCO in and you'll hear the fm amount reduce down to zero as you increase the ext oscillator frequency.

B
Right now I'm using the extra oscillator in the modular along with the voyager, which works great. Or i'll run the pre-filter loop through my acVOKS filter, then just open the voyager filter all the way. In that sense, everything works as expected. Sending just CV back and forth is a no brainer. The only real issue is mixing the audio of the two. You can attenuate the modular level down, but gaining up the voyager's oscillators to match the modular level to use wave folders or audio manglers gets difficult. There is a module made to bring the voyager level up, but I haven't made room for it yet. It's made by analog craftsman, the 4x Input Interface.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2