Delay Pairing advice

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jsharpphoto

Delay Pairing advice

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:13 am

Currently, I have my sub 37 plugged into my MF-104m. It's awesome together. My "problem" now is that I just ordered a voyager XL. I can't afford to buy another 104m. I really like the RE-20 Space Echo (pedal version, not the actual tape delay). So here's my question:

Do I keep the 104m with the sub 37, since they are both mono and I do a lot of sequencing with the sub, so the midi sync is handy. The RE-20 is a true stereo pedal, so I think it would work great with the voyager.

Or

Run the voyager XL with the 104m to utilize their cv patch ability? If so, do I run it in the loop? Or do I just go mono out of the voyager and run it after the filters.

I'd love some opinions.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

stiiiiiiive

Re: Delay Pairing advice

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:20 am

Running a delay in the Voyager's audio loop have been discussed here some times; it may not offer as many possibilities as you think. Indeed, when you depress a key, the envelopes usually close and the sound sources, i.e. oscillators + audio input + noise, cannot reach anymore the output. Consequently the delay tails won"t be heard.

On the other hand, it sure will give a new texture to your oscilltaors, especially with not-to-long delay time settings. Worth trying anyway.

The RE-20 is a cool delay unit. I would say this : get one ad try out. I use it with a Little Phatty and a Tech 21 character unit to perform some pseudo-guitar soli :)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:55 pm

I've read lots of the threads on here specifically about the RE-20. That's actually how I found it. Maybe I just need to get it and try it out in different configurations. I did some searching also, specifically to see if you could feed the expression pedal input some of the XL's control voltage, but I got inconsistent results.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

dmodhotr

Post by dmodhotr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:16 pm

I have both delays. I use the MF-104m with the Sub 37 and the RE-20 with the Voyager RME stereo most of the time. I really like the way the RE-20 sounds with the Voyager, however I don't like the reverb and keep it set at 9 o'clock. I haven't tried using the delay in an insert loop yet, so cannot speak to that.

Obviously the RE-20 has different character than the MF-104. I feel like it makes the Voyager sing or shine a little more because it's not as dark as the 104. But feel free to try different things and switch them up. You won't be disappointed.

Drew H

Post by Drew H » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:31 pm

I find the RE 20 takes a bit of bottom end out, but its a great pedal with the voyager..Highly recommended, lovely sound and side by side the vintage tape version, you cant tell them apart!
Voyager EB, CP251,VX351,MF 102,103,105,107,EP1,Mother 32 x2, Dark Time, Dark Energy, Quasimidi Cyber 6, Raven, Polymorph, 309 x2, Sirius, Technox, Microkorg, MC 505, Roland W30 x2, Yamaha CS01, ARP Omni 2, EMU Proteus x2, Roland RE20, Eminent Solina Organ

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:19 pm

You guys have helped me make up my mind. I'm going to route the outputs of the voyager to the re-20. I think I'm going to pick up a Bass Big Muff Deluxe to put in the effects loop.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:15 am

I like the TC Nova Delay very much--digital stereo but warm tone and versatile. I also like the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy--analog mono with CV pedal control. I use them between the synth and the mixer, not in the synth's internal loop.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 am

dmodhotr wrote:however I don't like the reverb and keep it set at 9 o'clock.
Different strokes: at one point, I was about to sell the RE-20, but the reverb was what made me keep it :)
jsharpphoto wrote:You guys have helped me make up my mind. I'm going to route the outputs of the voyager to the re-20. I think I'm going to pick up a Bass Big Muff Deluxe to put in the effects loop.
You may want to try out lighter overdrive pedals as well, in order not to crash the natural dynamic and shades of the Voyager.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:11 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
dmodhotr wrote:however I don't like the reverb and keep it set at 9 o'clock.
Different strokes: at one point, I was about to sell the RE-20, but the reverb was what made me keep it :)
jsharpphoto wrote:You guys have helped me make up my mind. I'm going to route the outputs of the voyager to the re-20. I think I'm going to pick up a Bass Big Muff Deluxe to put in the effects loop.
You may want to try out lighter overdrive pedals as well, in order not to crash the natural dynamic and shades of the Voyager.
I was thinking that the "blend" control on the deluxe muff would let me scale it back to almost nonexistent. Maybe that only works in theory?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:45 am

No no, you're right. That's a good idea :)

I answered that because I know the Big Muff is quite a thing, not that easy to tame. I prefer moderate overdrive to radical clipping and that guy clips quick.

That being said,I didn't remember that the Deluxe version had a blend control. That's indeed very useful for synths, I think - actually never tried it myself haha. The amp sim I often use (Tech 21 as said before) does not offer this possibility and I'm thinking about changing it for a version that does.

The blend control will offer the ability to superimpose a clean version of your sound with a dirty one. I've seen that with Rhodes, organs and voices, and I like the 60's records character it provides. It's not the same as having a single light overdriven sound though. You may find both interesting :)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:40 pm

It will be a "starting point". I was going to go with the JHS mini foot fuzz, because that's what Mute Math uses on their voyager, but there isn't much control and mute math only uses it for bass. The voyager will be my "lead" voice mostly.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2