When Triangle waveform is not triangle?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Voyager1

When Triangle waveform is not triangle?

Post by Voyager1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:28 am

I'm new here so hello to you all.

My problem is that my Voyagers triangle waveform isn't actually triangle (triangle's top has a dip) and I was wondering whether this a feature or do I have bad oscillators? I compared my Voyager to a Minimoog and it's triangle waveform was indeed triangle. I contacted Moog tech. support few weeks ago but since they didn't answer I'm asking this question from you guys. I have the waveforms and screenshots of them but I couldn't upload them here so if someone could check the Voyagers triangle waveform for me and let me know.

I

peter ripa

Post by peter ripa » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:54 am

ime theyre never really what they geometrically should be when looked at in a scope. the ms20 is the worst one. you should see its "squarewave".
seem to remember reading that the triangle having a dip was seen at the old 901 modular osc
www.peterripa.com
http://www.peterripa.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=musik

RL

Post by RL » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:09 am

The oscillators are different and when the wave is the same on my photo it is OK.
Have fun,
Rudi

Voyager1

Post by Voyager1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:28 am

Thanks for quick answers. I Have those dips on positive side of the waveform and seems like you have them on negative. I don't know if it makes any difference. The sound is kind of "razzy" and the overtone series looks different than in Mini.

I

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:24 am

A while back I posted a document on the SquareWave site revealing Voyager waveform details. Though not quite as scientific as using an oscilloscope, you might find it helpful:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sq ... eforms.pdf

Greg

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:51 pm

I too was concerned about the shapes of the waves, as I was using my Voyager to demonstrate synthesis last year. I asked about the reason for them being different from their associated graphics and was told that this is so because they are tweaked in the factory to make them more musical. Also, in the case of the square wave, it impossible to truly produce. Fascinating stuff.
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

Voyager1

Post by Voyager1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:09 pm

Can anyone post a Voyagers Triangle waveform clip (say 440Hz) so I could compare that to my instrument?

I

MC

Post by MC » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:08 pm

Voyager1

Post by Voyager1 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:26 am

Thank you so much for the information. So the "notch" is left there intentionally and it is not an oscillator malfunction right? Any ideas how can I get "pure" triangle wave out of my Voyager (this is what the picture implies at the oscillator waveform knobs)?

I

peter ripa

Post by peter ripa » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:37 am

as seen on these pictures the original mini has a little more harmonics on square and sawtooth and a little less on triangle.
voyager1: i think its intentional and as for getting pure trinagle; you cant really but closing the filter a bit will get you closer
www.peterripa.com
http://www.peterripa.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=musik