How to sync the LFO on the Voyager RME to Logic Pro X?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cosmigonical

Post by cosmigonical » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:10 pm

digitaleyes

Re: How to sync the LFO on the Voyager RME to Logic Pro X?

Post by digitaleyes » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 am

This applies to all Voyagers.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13383?locale=en_US

for ableton live go into your midi settings and make sure sync is selected for the MIDI OUT port that your Voyager is connected to.

on the Voyager:
set LFO sync to midi on

enjoy

*note this only sends a trigger to reset the LFO based on the MIDI clock divider located in the EDIT functions page 6.1

till

Post by till » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 am

Sync on the Voyagers is not syncing the LFO frequency to the incoming MIDI clock. It's a hard sync like you see on many analog oscillators (but not the Voyager's).
So the LFO speed does not change at all. It is just restarting the LFO waveshape at the given tempo. This is due to the analog nature of the Voyager and its LFOs. I can't think of a _real_ analog LFO syncing its frequency to MIDI clock.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

cosmigonical

Post by cosmigonical » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:28 am

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Yes, unfortunately I was hoping to sync the LFO rate to the BPM in Logic Pro. I am wondering if it is possible to set the LFO rate accurately using CC MIDI messages? In that case a formula would be handy to convert from BPM to upper and lower CC values.

till

Post by till » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:09 pm

You are not the first asking for such an table. Maybe you have to do one of your own. This would be very welcome to other users that are into MIDI clock synced LFO modulations of the Voyager.

The MIDI CC#3 (MSB) and CC #35 (LSB) form together a 14 bit data value (16384 different values) while the display only show 128 different values. But there are values in between not shown on the Voyager. The same is true for many other parameters, for example the detuning. So please us a CC controller able to send those 14 bit MIDI CCs. Most controllers can't handle these. Or use two controllers (one on each MIDI CC #) to get the combined data.

But keep the real analog nature of the LFOs in mind: a certain setting of LFO rate might be slightly different on a different Voyager. This is absolute normal in the analog domain.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Sofine

Post by Sofine » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:01 am

till wrote:Sync on the Voyagers is not syncing the LFO frequency to the incoming MIDI clock. It's a hard sync like you see on many analog oscillators (but not the Voyager's).
So the LFO speed does not change at all. It is just restarting the LFO waveshape at the given tempo. This is due to the analog nature of the Voyager and its LFOs. I can't think of a _real_ analog LFO syncing its frequency to MIDI clock.
Hi. I have the MP201 and AFAIK it has a selection of analogue LFO's, all of which can be synced to incoming midi clock. The MP201 is hard to come by though...

till

Post by till » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:58 am

The LFOs of the MP201 are _not_ analog. The just send out an anlog CV or MIDI CC.

Sequence:

Sofine

Post by Sofine » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:13 am

till wrote:The LFOs of the MP201 are _not_ analog. The just send out an anlog CV or MIDI CC.
Ahah, I stand corrected, thanks!

Well, it kind of achieves the same thing, certainly for my needs anyway.