Midi CC not working with Voyager RME & Ableton Live

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
diegohostettler

Midi CC not working with Voyager RME & Ableton Live

Post by diegohostettler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi,

I use my Voyager REM with Ableton Live, connected via a Motu Midi Express 128 interface on. I can easily record midi cc like filter cutoff into ableton but when i play it back my Voyager stops responding and it sounds something like a stuck midi note and I have to reset Voyager by stoping the midi clip AND powering down my Voyager.

If i put Voyager behind my Analog Keys on the same mini input Voyager receives the cc correctly BUT only for about 10-20 seconds then the stuck midi note thing occurs again.

The funny thing is i recently switched from Windows to OS X and this problem NEVER occurred back then.

So my question is.. is this a OS X problem? Ableton problem or is my Voyager damaged? Anyone with a fix for this behaviour?

Thanks

Diego

diegohostettler

Re: Midi CC not working with Voyager RME & Ableton Live

Post by diegohostettler » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:54 am

i did some more tests today. i unplugged everything from the midi intrface. the only connection is motu midi express to voyager on port 1 sending midi on channel 2. so far what i can tell is that if i dont have a continuous midi cc stream it somehow seems to work but skips notes!

here some illustrations

1. this one works but skips notes

2. this one create a hanging infinite note and completely bugs the voyager

3. as you can see there is nothing else transmitted next to not on /off and the midi cc

diegohostettler

Post by diegohostettler » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:55 am

I did another test with Bitwig instead of Ableton and the voyager exhibits the same problem.

diegohostettler

Post by diegohostettler » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:56 am

did another test with logic. same behaviour. check the soundcloud link for a audio snippet and the corresponding screenshot.

here the audio file

https://soundcloud.com/diego-hostettler/weired-moog
Last edited by diegohostettler on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kamilof

Post by kamilof » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:31 am

diegohostettler wrote:So my question is.. is this a OS X problem? Ableton problem or is my Voyager damaged? Anyone with a fix for this behaviour?
Don't think the problem is OS X specific. My setup is similar, except I use Logic Pro X and an emagic amt8 midi patch bay. And local control is OFF on the MOOG, so everything I do is via MIDI. Make sure you use the Mac OS X tool "Audio MIDI Setup" to logically configure you MIDI setup (see attached screenshot)
Attachments
tetonica-audio-midi.png