Drive/ distortion pedal for Voyager á la multidrive

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
XAXAU

Drive/ distortion pedal for Voyager á la multidrive

Post by XAXAU » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:43 am

Recently sold my Sub 37 in favor of an Voyager RME but I miss the multidrive circuit so much. It really beefed up everything without destroying the sound. What would you recommend for me taking this into consideration?

benulous

Re: Drive/ distortion pedal for Voyager á la multidrive

Post by benulous » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:56 pm

MF Drive pedal is really nice...but, the MF-102 Ring mod will give you a lot of mileage with CV and it's overdrive is awesome.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:37 pm

The obvious, keep the RME and get another Sub37.

Stephen

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:38 pm

I put an MF Boost and a FreqBox in the Mixer Out/Filter In insert point and it rocks the house!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:05 am

I had a ring, a delay and a cluster flux before and the drive they gave sounded the same so I guess it doesn´t matter which Moogerfooger you use. They sounded great but are a bit too pricey these days. I guess a ring would be the best pedal for expanding the sound possibilities.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:42 am

You might be correct. But anyway, I find the drive on the minifoogers different from the one on the moogerfoogers and using one of each seems to be more versatile. IMHO, that is...
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:10 am

bichuelo wrote:You might be correct. But anyway, I find the drive on the minifoogers different from the one on the moogerfoogers and using one of each seems to be more versatile. IMHO, that is...
Minifooger Delay has a very nice sounding overdrive, but pushing it past 10:00 will create a bleed of the delay signal, even at 0% mix (something to consider). I run the Sub37 and the Slim Phatty through their own MF Delay units, and have them ON almost 100% of the time, and with Drive set around 12:00. Yeah, Baby!

Minifooger Drive has a very wide range of OD tones inside the dials, almost any guitar tone you'd ever want. Sweeping the filter with an EP pedal is the sweep spot for me. But, if you plan to use it with a synth, there is a significant high-end roll off to this pedal. Not a consideration for guitar use, but you will hear it on a synth. Sometimes, I'll use one with an Arturia MicroBrute and make use of its CV controls to modulate the MF Drive filter.

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:54 pm

I just got the MF Boost yesterday to insert into my XL, and it is a sweet little boost. The two different methods for boosting the signal produce an exquisitely clean sound, very pure in tone. You can then shape the tone via the included 6db filter (tone knob).

I'd like to try the MF Drive next, but think that you'd get great mileage by starting with a little (or a lot) of Boost in the signal chain.

Neekau

Post by Neekau » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:43 pm

After many experimentations, I had the best results with a BBE Sonic Stomp, but that was before the minifoogers were released.
"There's something wrong about this world in which Clouds sells 5x more than Tides." O.Gillet

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:41 pm

I always end up boosting the highs on Moog synths so the MF Boost might be nice. It sounded clean without destroying the sound as heard in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrsUsWWHng

The MF Drive broke the sound up more but sounded equally cool though! :)

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Yeah, the MF Drive seems like it would be a great way to get an effect similar to the Sub 37's Multidrive.

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:41 pm

DeckardTrinity wrote:Yeah, the MF Drive seems like it would be a great way to get an effect similar to the Sub 37's Multidrive.
The MF Drive in the video smashed the sound compared to multidrive on the Sub Phatty & Sub 37, but that could have something to do with gain staging!

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38 pm

XAXAU wrote:
DeckardTrinity wrote:Yeah, the MF Drive seems like it would be a great way to get an effect similar to the Sub 37's Multidrive.
The MF Drive in the video smashed the sound compared to multidrive on the Sub Phatty & Sub 37, but that could have something to do with gain staging!
Yes dear, Moog's gain circuit is an underdog, it rocks the house like no other!

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:09 am

I tried the mf-drive with my voyager and minitaur and it works but I don't think it
Sounds like multi drive at all really. It takes away too much top end.
What I have been doing is using an old Boss Km series mixer in the loop, or after the voyager. The multi drive is pre and post filter though, right?
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

youunicornsyou

Post by youunicornsyou » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:57 am

I'm impressed with the Mantic Vitriol with Moog synths.