Voyager XL Output Quiet Issue?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
benulous

Voyager XL Output Quiet Issue?

Post by benulous » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Hey Guys, hopefully you can help me out!

I've recently figured out the main stereo outputs on my voyager xl are significantly lower compared to my other synths. I'd been running the XL through a chain of Foogers, pretty much since...always, and have always just adjusted the output/drive levels and mixer levels to work out the mixes.

Today, I was having an issue with a patch cable shorting out and, as I was tracking down which cable it was in the chain, I decided to go straight from the voyager - stereo out in to my mixer. I noticed immediately that the full volume of the voyager was much quieter than my other synthesizers. So, I plugged another cable (TRS to 2 TR) from the voyager headphone jack into 2 channels of my mixer next to the XL main out inputs and set both channels to the exact same settings. I compared the volume of several different patches by A-B'ing the headphone and master volume knobs.

The headphone output is FAR louder than the main stereo outs. For instance, depending on the patch, the headphone level of 90-150 is consistantly about the same as the Master Out level set to 127. That's about how the XL main outs compares to my other synths.

Under 'Panel' I checked, and confirmed, both Master Volume and Headphone Volume "...gets preset values" are set to "NO". System/Boot Versions are 3.6...

Is this by design? Or, is there a setting I'm missing? Otherwise, it sounds fine, it's just...not as loud without cranking up the signal more on the mixer and foogers.

Help me Moogie One. You're my only hope.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

DonutDude

Re: Voyager XL Output Quiet Issue?

Post by DonutDude » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Are you running balanced or unbalanced cables from your Voyager to your mixer? Does the mixer input channel support balanced cables? If you have the RME Voyager there is a switch on the back that adjusts for balanced or unbalanced connections.

I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem or not, but it's something you can check. If you have the keyboard Voyager I don't think you have the balanced/unbalanced switch.

Also, does the Voyager OS have a page that allows you to set the volume at the outputs? Might want to check that.

benulous

Post by benulous » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:54 pm

This is the Voyager XL - there is not a switch. I'm using unbalanced stereo mono cables for the main out and a TRS-TR (Y-cable) for the headphone outs. The only volume setting I could find was the "master/headphone" settings I found under Panel...

I did find out some interesting stuff, though.

I was looking at my manual and noticed that the Main Outs have 2 VCAs. What controls the output for the headphones? I plugged my EP3 into the CV VCA Volume input and turned it all the way up/down to make sure it was set properly and it changed the volume for master. It successfully turned the volume all the way up and down - but had no effect on headphone volume. The headphone volume stayed constant according to the setting of the knob. So, the audio is routed to those 2 VCAs and headphone differently. What could be in the signal path of the main out VCAs that could be dampening the signal? Perhaps there is a setting I'm missing?
-Ben
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm

I guess just for the heck of it I'd check the volume level in mono. Run a cable from the XL's left out to your mixer and see if the level in mono is any hotter than the outputs in stereo. Also, maybe do a Factory Reset (Master Mode) and see if that changes anything.

benulous

Post by benulous » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:50 pm

Yea, it's the same mono/stereo. I don't suppose any of you fine peoples that have an XL could compare the stereo outs with your headphone outs?
-Ben

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:32 pm

The headphone output should look a lot hotter to your mixer line input than the main outputs off the Voyager.

The headphone out has enough voltage to drive headphones! When I occasionally patch a boombox CD player to my mixer via headphone out I set the volume to "5" out of "10" and mixer trim to unity and get a nice volume on playback that doesn't distort.

I assume you have a DAW. The easiest way to check the outputs is to simply meter them through your DAW. For point of reference Preset D-1 "CLASSIC MINI" middle-C tops out at -9.6dBFS (-10dBV setting on meter/ -21.4dBFS at +4dBV setting in LynxAudio2A mixer settings) in SonarX2. Patched direct from Voyager output to Lynx2A input with Voyager volume at max.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.