Need General Moog Synth Info Please

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Scott Rolf

Need General Moog Synth Info Please

Post by Scott Rolf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I own two pieces of Moog equipment.
Taurus 3 B/P
Moogerfooger MF-102 Ring Mod

So as you can see, my Moog product knowledge is very limited.
I need a keyboard instrument that will offer GREAT strings and all "weirdness" in between. I love all things analog and would like to stick with Moog if I can.

Any directional help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

latigid on

Re: Need General Moog Synth Info Please

Post by latigid on » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Polymoog. You'll love it.

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Are these still made?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Made in Moog's Buffalo branch.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Yes I'm trolling you, Moog hasn't made a polysynth since the mid '80s.

Your best bet nowadays is probably something from DSI or an Alesis Andromeda if you can find one. Or if you have $20k you can own the Schmidt analogue dream poly.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Look to waldorf for the best strings.
DSI, Nord, Waldorf for the other weirdness. (Analog poly is REALLY over-rated. There was a reason it was dropped like a reeking turd in the 80's. Sound.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:44 am

The new Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 looks pretty amazing…seems to have a bit more analog flavor than the DSI line (I'm assuming because it doesn't have DCOs). Surely, someone on the forum has one by now, and they could share their opinion.

If I had the money, I'd have bought one already, even if I ended up returning it for a refund (like I did with two DSI synths––Mopho&Tetra). I just want to play with one for a few weeks and see if its worth the coin. :cry:

I can personally speak on the Nord and the Virus though, both incredible synths that I have experienced in depth.

Nords I've owned: Lead, Lead2x, Electro, and Electro 2 Rack. I currently own the Electro 4D, and absolutely love it. I find that approaching it like a synthesist (instead of a traditional keyboardist) can render some incredibly unique sounds. I've just recently become obsessed with making otherworldly sounds with various synths, then loading them onto the Electro as a wav. file and playing them across the keyboard through various effects (both onboard and pedals). Endless fun. So much fun in fact, that I'm starting to really lust over the Nord Wave.

As for the Virus. I've owned: TI1 (61key), TI2 (61key), TI Polar, and TI2 rack. I currently own the TI Snow. That's right, I kept getting smaller and smaller with my Virus-selection until I reached their tiniest model. :lol: These can be incredible synths, but honestly I had serious problems with both of the 61-keyboards (ghost-notes, stuck-noted, random artifacts). I really loved the Polar, and had very little problems with it other than minor MIDI issues. The rack was also great with no significant issues. The Snow ended up being perfect for me because I use my Virus for a very specific sound (mainly soft pads/strings, and spacey ambience). The Sub37 and Electro are the main boards in my rig so I never tweak the Virus in a live setting, therefore I don't mind the lack of knobs. The other difference is, the Snow can only layer up to 4 parts, whereas the TI's can layer up to 16…which seems really cool in theory, but after having TI's for a couple of years I discovered that I very rarely made sounds using more than 4 layers.

Other synths I've owned and not cared for… Korgs. Nothing against the old analog stuff, or the new I suppose (other than the cheap flimsy built-quality, ha). But, I pretty much went through their whole digital line in the early oughts. MicroKorg, R3, Radias, ESX1, EMX1, KP2, KP3, and Kaossilator. Eventually, I ended up selling every single one them because I never liked the sound enough, the tone never fully satisfied.

Which brings me to what I consider the bottom of the barrel (and I apologize if this offends anyone :wink: ), most of the "modern" digital Rolands and Yamahas just sound like shite to me…(I swear I've heard better plug-ins). I haven't had a chance to check out the Airia system in person yet, so I can't speak for it. But, it almost seems like you have to go back in time to get a cool-sounding Roland or Yamaha.

I'm also pretty sure Waldorfs sound amazing, and I'll probably buy one someday just to find out for certain. :lol:

Well, I hope my wordy rambling provided some help in your search for a great poly. Good Luck.

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:33 am

Thank you for that very in-depth review of all the various instruments. This really helps.

As a side note unrelated to "strings", I am also very seriously considering getting the mini moog performer edition just because I'm a die-hard '70's Prog Rocker and love that unmistakable sound. I was fortunate enough to grab one of the T-3 bass pedal units when they hit the market and will NEVER, EVER, EVER give those up!!! You just cannot recreate that with digital or plug-ins. Hence me still wanting the traditional moog mini voyager. All I need is a little "push". Any help there?

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:44 pm

The DSI Prophet 08 and 12 are both very nice synths. The 08 has digitally controlled analog osc, while the 12 has digital osc and charecter section the path after is analog. The new Prophet 6 is a full analog path.

The 12 has 4 osc and a bunch of modulation routing options, like the 08 and many synths many of the presets do not show what the synth csn really do, you need to dig in and do some programing. The 12 is a very deep synth that can give quite, warm, simple anslog bliss to hold on to your seats ehike we travel out of the galaxy sounds.

Cool thing on the 08 is the 4 track step sequencer. Track 1 can be assigned to one or both isc, track 2 filter cut off or noise or...three pan, or volume, or.. 4 same options. If you are in layer or split mode you can run two independent sequences. The 08 also can do warm simple sounds, has several modulation options abd can get fairly complex sounds.

Any of the DSI/Sequenial poly synths should do fine.

Korg and Roland have analog sounding synths that will work.
Not too much information yet, but Yamaha has a new line called reface, the CS is based on the CS anslog synths. The YC organs, DX. DX7 and CP pianos.

SaussDigit

Post by SaussDigit » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Brian G wrote:(...)
Not too much information yet, but Yamaha has a new line called reface, the CS is based on the CS anslog synths. The YC organs, DX. DX7 and CP pianos.
Like with original DX series, one of the major DX Reface temptations is to emulate the moog tone:

https://youtu.be/t1DvXBOkO5M?t=36s

(Got a match?, Chick Corea)

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 pm

The DX with a little work can do sone great analog like sounds. It's capable of a lot mire than the ones "over heard" in the 80's.

The reface is closer to the DX 9 since it's only 4 opperator snd not 6 like theDX7 but still has a lot of power.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 pm

SaussDigit wrote:
Brian G wrote:(...)
Like with original DX series, one of the major DX Reface temptations is to emulate the moog tone:

https://youtu.be/t1DvXBOkO5M?t=36s

(Got a match?, Chick Corea)
"it will make some dubstep and idiot producers very happy"? .... oh.. EDM... oh well. Man I hate listening to that guy talk, but he play's the Reface's very convincingly. I'm interested in the DX, CP, and somewhat the YC, but the CS doesn't grab me at all.

@just me, analog poly over-rated really? I would take an Oberheim OB8, Xpander or Matrix 12 in a heartbeat - beautiful machines!
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Brian G wrote: The reface is closer to the DX 9 since it's only 4 opperator snd not 6 like theDX7 but still has a lot of power.
The Reface DX has feedback on all operators unlike both DX9 and DX7, so it's really not so close to either. The sounds I've heard from the Reface are definitely fuller than any dull 4-operator/single feedback DX synth I've heard, and I've got a TX816 (8 dx7's) - what a heater!
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

SaussDigit

Post by SaussDigit » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Brian G wrote:The DX with a little work can do sone great analog like sounds. It's capable of a lot mire than the ones "over heard" in the 80's.

The reface is closer to the DX 9 since it's only 4 opperator snd not 6 like theDX7 but still has a lot of power.
Yes the DX is capable of unsuspected sounds; I used to make it speak these words. Ressonance control was very rigid but articulation was great, thanks to the 6 EGenerators. That is why a 4 operator will always fall short. And one feedback per oscillator is just a way of modifying wave shape continuously, instead of the discrete waves found on DX100 and alikes.
LPF always seemed to be missing so Yamaha added those on the FS1R...
Onboard effects are welcome. Here is a useful comparison:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/ ... no-a-mano/