voyager XL plus sub37 equals what?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
slick

voyager XL plus sub37 equals what?

Post by slick » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:48 pm

I have a Sub37. I crave a Voyager XL. I envision that the two together could be a real powerhouse. I envision using the much better and bigger XL keyboard as the master keyboard. I envision the patch capability and slide toys on the XL adding a new dimension to my Sub 37 enjoyment. I envision the sequencer and envelopes on the Sub 37 adding new dimensions to the XL. Unfortunately, I also envision that I waste money too easily and that nothing ever works out as well or as easily as I expect it to, so I might as well ask in advance....what will this combination accomplish? Unexpected limitations? Good opportunties? Bad consequences? Unnecessary complications? In light of the various ways you potentially could connect the two, is one method clearly superior?

DeckardTrinity

Re: voyager XL plus sub37 equals what?

Post by DeckardTrinity » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:19 pm

They are each individual instruments that share a few common attributes, but IMO, offer a wealth of individual features on their own. For me the XL is my go-to master keyboard, analog beast, CV wizard, not to mention FM capable in ways that the Sub 37 just isn't. On the other hand, the Sub 37 is a modulating, step sequencing, enhanced envelope generating paraphonic monster in its own right.

I have lost a LOT of the gear lust I used to have now that I own both of these instruments.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:35 pm

DeckardTrinity wrote:I have lost a LOT of the gear lust I used to have now that I own both of these instruments.
I'm with you 100%. My Moogs were my last big studio purchase. I bought a LOT of synth's prior to the Moog's, and while those represent a world of 'sounds'', you just don't get analog without analog. I also figured, I've waited a long time and deserved to finally get the synth's I wanted the most :-)

@slick, I would consider a non-XL Voyager and a VX-351 to save some money. If you find you want to really get into CV bigtime, get an CP-251. The price difference between the XL and non-XL new would get you the VX-351 and a coupple of CP-251's for the same price. I would really love the XL, but cost wise, I prefer the extra functionality of the extra CP-251's to interfer with my other Moog gear. Also, although the Voyager is clearly the better keyboard, I much prefer keeping them seperate unless I'm driving the Voyager from the Sub37 sequencer. But I consider the modulation capabilities of the Sub37 and Voyager and very different with regards to EG distinations. sooo cool!

I approach the Voyager, Sub37, and the Little Phatty as difference instruments altogether - although with the Slim Phatty's I have, my Little Phatty is primarily in poly-mode, and secondarily a multiply layered mono. Stand alone, I would see little reason to get one once I had a Voyager and a Sub37. However, I bought the LP first, and quickly added the SL's before I bought the Voyager, then a year later followed on with the purchase of the Sub37 after I sold the Sub-Phatty - the indirect controls, and minimal preset locations severly limited it for me.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:24 am

i have both. like all gear, they are each different & unique

this week i have been sequencing the Voyager with the Sub37 over midi

XL Pro: patchbay, touchpad+ribbon, 3 oscillators, dual filter design, values on screen, stereo out
XL Con: size & weight, cost, less knobs & hands on controls to Sub37

Sub37 Pro: form factor, modulation buses, sequencer, arpeggiator, variable filter slope, multidrive, duo mode, USB connection & (forthcoming) editor
Sub37 Con: 2 oscillators, keyboard feel, no CV out (and there never will be)

I think of the XL as the classic sound & the Sub37 as the modern sound. i prefer the ext audio in & noise on the Sub37 to the Voyager

buying each again I would only get the Sub37, it's my first & favorite Moog
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:53 pm

XL+37 = 77 or LXXVII

Please post some audio of your creations.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

benulous

Post by benulous » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 am

I've been wondering the same thing. I have an XL and have come across an opportunity to get a sub37 for a great price. I've been really considering going for it, but am worried that there'll be too much overlap. Plus, the lack of CV out of the Sub37 makes it a little less desireable. I would like something to compliment my Virus C, XL and Foogers. The XL covers my bass needs and the Virus covers the strings I like. I'd really like something that gives me cool atmospheres and arpegiations (and general oddness). Sequencing and CV compatibility are pretty important, too.

So, i've been considering the DSI Pro2 or, even, Modal001. Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread with a tired pro2 vs sub37 debate, but I am interested in some feedback.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

Apnean

Post by Apnean » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:00 am

benulous wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. I have an XL and have come across an opportunity to get a sub37 for a great price. I've been really considering going for it, but am worried that there'll be too much overlap. Plus, the lack of CV out of the Sub37 makes it a little less desireable. I would like something to compliment my Virus C, XL and Foogers. The XL covers my bass needs and the Virus covers the strings I like. I'd really like something that gives me cool atmospheres and arpegiations (and general oddness). Sequencing and CV compatibility are pretty important, too.

So, i've been considering the DSI Pro2 or, even, Modal001. Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread with a tired pro2 vs sub37 debate, but I am interested in some feedback.
Unbelievably, I am in the exact same quandary, and was considering the Pro 2 as well for its great sequencer mostly, but for the exact same price or a little less i can get the Roland JD-XA!
Sequencer/analogue AND digital synthesis. It might just get the nod as it is not a monosynth, which my XL has covered in spades. Comments?

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:28 pm

Compared to your XL, the analog monosynth* in the JD won't be of much interest. I've been looking at the JD-Xi for the digital synth, but the menu system has put me off. I have too many synths, in total not just my sig, to resort to outboard editors to solve all those types of promises. My experience with a P08 put me off DSI for the most part, but the MoPho really kicks ass; as does the Virus C, NORD 1, SuperNova, and even the Radias and JP-8080... well maybe not that much ass for those last two :-)

If the analog in the JD is discounted, what about the FA-6 instead?

*-oops 4 voice in the XA, 1 voice in the Xi.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;

benulous

Post by benulous » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:09 pm

MRNUTTY wrote:My experience with a P08 put me off DSI for the most part
What happened with the P08, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't seen too many issues with the PRO2. I like the Tempest since their latest update...but, I know they had their fair share of problems.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:26 pm

slick wrote:I have a Sub 37. I crave a Voyager XL.
I envision that the two together could be a real powerhouse.
Since you already have a Sub 37, I would at least consider a Voyager RME with both of the CV In and Out breakout boxes (VX-352 & VX-351), plus two CP-251s.

Having both breakout boxes side-by-side a pair of CP-251s puts a tremendous amount of modularity in one small footprint.

Using the Sub 37 as both a sound module (that can receive CV from all four of those boxes) and as the MIDI Controller Keyboard, Arpeggiator, and Sequencer for the Voyager RME is joy that will cost considerably less than just the XL (at least $1,600 less).

You could buy some Moogerfoogers/Minifoogers with the remainder and figuratively have infinite possibilities.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:20 pm

benulous wrote:
MRNUTTY wrote:My experience with a P08 put me off DSI for the most part
What happened with the P08, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't seen too many issues with the PRO2. I like the Tempest since their latest update...but, I know they had their fair share of problems.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply any quality problem. It's just the sound was weak compared to my other synths at the time. I sold it to buy something - forget what - but gave DSI another chance with the MoPro, which turned out to be really punchy. I thought the MoPho was essentially a single voice P08, so I'm at a loss to explain the difference - thus leery of buying any other DSI's.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:33 am

I believe the Mopho has a sub osc and the P08 does not. That would make a big difference in sound.

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:44 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
slick wrote:I have a Sub 37. I crave a Voyager XL.
I envision that the two together could be a real powerhouse.
Since you already have a Sub 37, I would at least consider a Voyager RME with both of the CV In and Out breakout boxes (VX-352 & VX-351), plus two CP-251s.

Having both breakout boxes side-by-side a pair of CP-251s puts a tremendous amount of modularity in one small footprint.

Using the Sub 37 as both a sound module (that can receive CV from all four of those boxes) and as the MIDI Controller Keyboard, Arpeggiator, and Sequencer for the Voyager RME is joy that will cost considerably less than just the XL (at least $1,600 less).

You could buy some Moogerfoogers/Minifoogers with the remainder and figuratively have infinite possibilities.

Resurrection:

Dan, when controlling the rme from a sub 37,
Is there a zipper effect in the pitch bend or filter sweep?
I have read about midi pitch bend issues with the
Rme and I haven't found out if they were ever
Sorted.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer