Voyager RME Discontinued

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
nuno

Re: Voyager RME Discontinued

Post by nuno » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:51 am

MacAquinas wrote:new Polymoog or Euro-rack module versions and re-inventions of the the Modular System
A new polymoog would be cost prohibitive, considering how much one pays for one Moog voice currently.
Lowering their standards to afford a better price would be the death of Moog.

As to Eurorack, who knows?
Maybe after Roland releases their own Euro-case and PSU solution, until then Euro is just too much of a mess power-wise.

My two cents :)

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:37 pm

nuno wrote: A new polymoog would be cost prohibitive, considering how much one pays for one Moog voice currently.
Do you mean the $35,000 model that does not include a keyboard or midi? :lol:
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

nuno

Post by nuno » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:54 pm

MacAquinas wrote:
nuno wrote: A new polymoog would be cost prohibitive, considering how much one pays for one Moog voice currently.
Do you mean the $35,000 model that does not include a keyboard or midi? :lol:

That one doesn't count :lol:

That's a very expensive piece of luxury furniture that happens to make sounds using outdated technology
(sorry Moog, just taunting you a bit :mrgreen: )

On a more serious note, a new Poly-Moog would not just copy a typical Moog voice times n (4? 6? 8 times?)
The sound would be huge, while great for solo performance and other applications (trio?), it would really fill up a mix, maybe a bit too much. Poly synths are a very different sonic territory. A considerable investment would have to be made in research & development, and an expensive high end product would probably be the result with all the associated financial risk involved (for both Moog Music and the users :mrgreen: )

Who knows? Only Moog knows what they will do next. Here's to a surprise that's going to make our speculations look silly :lol: .

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:24 pm

A functional evolution of the memorymoog would be amazing,
Even if it was $10,000.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:08 am

As far as an analog poly, to my ears every single one I have ever heard does not make an impression to me that sounds any better than any good Korg, Roland or Yamaha digital synth can make. I actually cannot hear anything that sounds better about it. With a mono analog it is a very clear unmistakeable thick wide moving living breathing sound that digital cannot match. I know I may be alone in thinking this but does anyone else know what I mean?

https://youtu.be/H6_eqxh-Qok Amadeus- "Too many notes" :wink:
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:16 am

I've been tweaking my own sounds on analog polys for thirty years and the notion that they are no better than Korg/Roland/Yamaha is short-sighted. If people can't get out-of-the-world sounds on analog polys then they are not trying hard enough. I have seen too many people sell their analog polys who admitted they are preset surfers and unable to program their own sounds. Poor craftsmen always blame their tools. Too many people are looking for shortcuts and not willing to put the work into learning their instrument.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:50 am

I going to continue to stray of topic for a bit.

I'm not completely enamored with analogue polys. And I'm sure it most be pilot error. Most of what I hear is way to brassy for my ears. I'd say I find maybe 20% of the analog poly demos pleasing. Thats at least 80% thats chalkboards. And I'm not saying for a second that I could do any better. Call me tin ears.
Last edited by slabwax on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 am

MC wrote:I've been tweaking my own sounds on analog polys for thirty years ...
Which ones have you used and which did you like the sound of the most?

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:27 am

My tapes from the early 80's of the Oberheim OB-8 still remain the favorite to my ear. It just had a sound.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:04 pm

MacAquinas wrote:
MC wrote:I've been tweaking my own sounds on analog polys for thirty years ...
Which ones have you used and which did you like the sound of the most?
My first analog poly was a Polymoog I bought in 1985. Eight presets, no programmability. I probably still use three presets, doesn't get much use these days.

Owned a Memorymoog Plus since 1986. I really learned analog synthesis on this thing and have gotten a LOT of mileage out of it. The voice modulation is the key to unlocking what this thing can do.

Used to own an Oberheim Matrix-6R. When the Memorymoog was sick, this filled in. Sold it because the interface made it too hard to tweak and while it's a good sounding poly it was too sterile. The VCAs don't impart overdrive like the vintage stuff does.

Alesis Andromeda, beta unit I used for sound design in 2001. I use my own patches, very seldom use the factory sounds. I love the extensive modulation options, I can get sounds out of this that one would least expect from an analog synth (I programmed the factory piano sound that surprised many people).

Bought a dead Oberheim OB-SX in 2009 and restored it. Preset only with limited tweakability but creamy sounding poly.

Bought a dead Oberheim OB-X in 2010 and restored it. Limited modulation options but the cream that oozes from this thing is just sick. Nothing does brassy sounds better than this.

My favorites are the Memorymoog and OB-X. The former sounds brawny, the latter sounds creamy. They co-exist very well. The Andromeda is my "chameleon" poly, I have emulated sounds from my Memorymoog, Oberheims, and it can pull off a decent CS-80 too.

The interface makes a big difference for tweaking sounds. The single data wheel or +/- button interfaces are too awkward. A panel full of knobs and switches is my preference.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:31 pm

I guess will just have to go to Switched On in Austin and play some Polys and tweak them and try to find out what most of the demos I have seen have missed.

Back to topic...hopefully the stream of discontinued products is to clear the deck for a new Moog Poly production line, I know it would be very expensive, but I know no one buys a Moog for price, but because they fall in love with that sound that nothing else compares to.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Many novice synthesists gravitate to bright brassy sounds. I was once guilty of that and too many YT demos do not show off the real potential of most poly synths.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:46 pm

MC wrote:Many novice synthesists gravitate to bright brassy sounds. I was once guilty of that and too many YT demos do not show off the real potential of most poly synths.
Well I'm a novice synthesist but I guess I'm an experienced listener. :lol:

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:27 pm

@MC, I still have the Matrix-6 + a 6R. Like you say, absense of knobs limits it tremendously. Even two of them don't seem to warm the sound up. Too heavy to ship anywhere... so I still have them.
Last edited by MRNUTTY on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Here's what I hope is going on. The RME was discontinued because Moog Music is developing a 4 or 6-voice Voyager rack mount synth.

If Dave Smith can release the Prophet 6 (VCOs and a keyboard) for under 3K, surely Moog can develop a rack unit for a similar price, or less. They are both small companies with great engineering talents. Am I missing something? Your comments?