Voyager RME Discontinued

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
TimeEchoProductions

Voyager RME Discontinued

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:17 pm

Thoughts?

Is Moog discontinuing the voyager line on the cusp of announcing a new flagship?
Phatty XL?
Poly Moog 2016?

How about an analog 16 voice multi-timbral with polyphonic after-touch?
:)
Last edited by TimeEchoProductions on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

benulous

Re: Voyager RME Discontinued

Post by benulous » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:20 pm

That's the Voyager RME, Freqbox, Midimurf and Analog Delay discontinued/halted in the span of a couple months. I imagine there will be more coming...

That's a lot of freed up resources. Let's see...Modular systems? New flagship?
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

dave808

Post by dave808 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Hooray!

The Voyager RME was expensively priced, putting it out of the reach of many musicians who could not afford the premium 2K+ price for it, especially in Europe. And RME was not without problems either.
It's time to bring the prices down a bit on any new forthcoming products.

Like any company, if you overprice your products and people don't buy, you go out of business.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:16 pm

dave808 wrote:Like any company, if you overprice your products and people don't buy, you go out of business.
Seen that tired argument too many times. It's a race to the bottom market strategy, which brought us Behringer whose underpriced products were so bad that retailers stopped carrying them, repair shops no longer repaired them, and retailers refused to take used Behringers on consignment.

Be careful what you ask for...
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:24 pm

MC wrote:
dave808 wrote:Like any company, if you overprice your products and people don't buy, you go out of business.
Seen that tired argument too many times. It's a race to the bottom market strategy, which brought us Behringer whose underpriced products were so bad that retailers stopped carrying them, repair shops no longer repaired them, and retailers refused to take used Behringers on consignment.

Be careful what you ask for...

What MC said.

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Well, Moog did just reissue the modular systems,
So, I don't really think they are racing to the bottom,
In general.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:20 pm

I wonder if the VX-352 is next? Makes little sense to keep that around with out the RME.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:41 am

Am I the only one now concerned about the future of the Voyager itself?
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:00 am

Ledbetter wrote:Am I the only one now concerned about the future of the Voyager itself?
I'm sure they may be dropping the Voyager in the next year or so but will have a new approach to the Minimoog with all of the abilities of the Sub 37 and then many features and abilities that will be unique to it and keep it as the premier flagship. I think they have done such an overwhelmingly amazing job in the Sub 37 that they have almost forced themselves to have to majorly enhance a Minimoog iteration. Trio Mode? Perhaps additional oscillators? Any guesses anyone?
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

nuno

Post by nuno » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:05 am

MacAquinas wrote:
Ledbetter wrote:Am I the only one now concerned about the future of the Voyager itself?
I'm sure they may be dropping the Voyager in the next year or so but will have a new approach to the Minimoog with all of the abilities of the Sub 37 and then many features and abilities that will be unique to it and keep it as the premier flagship. I think they have done such an overwhelmingly amazing job in the Sub 37 that they have almost forced themselves to have to majorly enhance a Minimoog iteration. Trio Mode? Perhaps additional oscillators? Any guesses anyone?
The Sub37 is not a replacement for the Voyager.
The Voyager is Bob Moog's very own baby, and a redesign of the Model D.
The Voyager is a template: 3 Oscillators, 2 Filters. 4 octave keyboard, and a few more features, deliberately kept out of the phatty line. The Sub37 is not a match for that.

A redesigned Voyager (maybe even keeping the name?) upgraded to more recent technology is more likely to happen than Moog Music dropping the production of the Minimoog entirely.

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:08 am

I actually am a little concerned about the discontinuation of the voyager,
I am just hoping they come out with an updated version, as well.

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am

Freeing up a slot for Sub37 RME! :lol:

benulous

Post by benulous » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:23 pm

I'd be pretty shocked to see Moog dropping Voyagers entirely. The voyager/minimoog is what the company is built around. I also wouldn't think they're looking to try to compete in the inexpensive mass-produced synth market, either.

The more I think about it, I believe they're clearing up all their current products that may overlap with their new initiative. When you start knocking out Voyager RME (rack mounted 3 VCOs, VCA, VCF, etc) and stand alone VCOs, Envelopes, LFOs, Filter array/Sequencer of the Freqbox/Midimurf - all that just screams "Modular" to me.

It doesn't make sense to me to drop half the moogerfooger line and not have alternative Moog applications in the works to apply all those CV I/Os built into their current synth lines.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:57 pm

That is a good point. I bet we will see more individual modules for sale.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 am

Just thought....with Midi Murf gone..the Polymoog had the Resonators..but the Modular has the Fixed Filter Bank. So jumping to wild conclusions, which is fun, it could indicate a new Polymoog or Euro-rack module versions and re-inventions of the the Modular System since they will not have any rack mount at all now except the Minitaur....wait! An all new Moog Minitaur Modular System! Fun. I have absolutely no idea of course :idea:
But all of the discontinued models may just mean that they just no longer sell enough to justify the space made for making them any more, as much as anyone who has one may love them. I'm sure we all see the Moog gear we love as being "essential", but it is a business and can't afford mere sentimentality.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20