Unbalanced Output

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
MarkH

Unbalanced Output

Post by MarkH » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:47 am

Just looking for a suggestion. I've got a few analog outboard synths but the Moog Voyager is the only one I own that uses unbalanced outputs. I don't have a mixer between my synths and my computer (using Orion32 audio interface). I need to give the Voyager's signal a boost as it's too quiet when monitoring through my DAW.

Should I buy something like a Livewire active direct box which is roughly $60 at Guitar Center? Or should I go for a Mic/Line pre? Not sure which is the better option. Thanks!

Mark

LA Keys

Re: Unbalanced Output

Post by LA Keys » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Did you try using the phone out?

LA

meterman

Post by meterman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 pm

I guess there are a few Orion32 interfaces, so I'm not sure which one you have, but those all seem like real high end units there would most likely be a pre built into the unit that you could just turn up using software to get the level where you need it.

If your recording its more important to just have a decent level (peaking at -10 dbfs or so) hitting your A/D converters, then adjust your DAW for better monitoring levels.

Converting with a direct box wouldn't give you more gain it just converts the signal to balanced as to not pick up noise for long runs.
An external pre is used to bring up things to line level so since the Moog already outputs line level the pre shouldn't be necessary, other than offer additional coloration to the signal.

Jean
Also what synths do you own that have balanced outs? Seems cool maybe I'm old school just never seen that myself.

gian77

Post by gian77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 am

Hi,

Do you think about an ultra-compact mixer ?
Mackie 402-VLZ4, for exemple, is around 99 USD ... a couple of Berhinger models can be found around 60 USD.
Sub 37 (FW 1.2.0 / 1.0.1), Minitaur (FW 2.2.2 / 3.3.0), MF-Drive & MF-Delay
Ableton Live 11 on macOS Big Sur v11.2.3

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 am

MarkH wrote:I've got a few analog outboard synths but the Moog Voyager is the only one I own that uses unbalanced outputs. I don't have a mixer between my synths and my computer (using Orion32 audio interface). I need to give the Voyager's signal a boost as it's too quiet when monitoring through my DAW.
Hi Mark,

This box kills three birds with one stone:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LLS2

"The Ebtech LLS-2 2-Channel Line Level Shifter converts back and forth between -10dBV and +4dBu, eliminates ground loop hum, and converts back and forth between balanced and unbalanced signals."
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:57 am

alternate active option to convert unbalanced to balanced
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-b ... u-and-lm2b
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 am

The Ebtech and Whirlwind units are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendations.

@meterman - The Studio Electronics CODE 8, Alesis Andromeda A6, and Jomox Sunsyn are all balanced output. It is possible to boost the signal in the DAW. For example, when using Logic Pro X or Ableton Live and the External Instrument plugin there is a slider for Input Volume. Logic lets you increase by +12 max and Live will go higher than +12 if needed.

meterman

Post by meterman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:34 am

Not sure about the others but the Alesis Andromeda A6 has unbalanced outs according to the manual on page 22

Chapter 1: Getting Started A C UDIO ONNECTIONS After you've set up the A6 and plugged it into an AC outlet, connect your A6 to a sound system. Since the A6 does not contain an amplifier or speakers, you'll need to connect it to some kind of a sound system in order to hear it. An amp with a full- range speaker will also suffice, as will a stereo music system with external audio inputs. You can also use a pair of standard stereo headphones with a 1/4" TRS plug inserted into the back panel. For stereo, connect two 1/4" 2-conductor (unbalanced) audio cables from the unit's and LEFT RIGHT monophonic output, use an audio cable from the A6's jacks plus the eight stereo For use with stereo headphones, the A6 sports a 1/4" stereo rear panel.