BEWARE The Update!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Soundz Righteous

BEWARE The Update!

Post by Soundz Righteous » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:15 pm

I really wish Moog would have warned me about the dangers of tring to perform the update to OS1.5. I am using Protools with the Digi Midi I/O and I have tried downloading the update as a sysex and midi file playing back at different speeds with no luck at all. I have tried the update using SysEx Librarian with the same results-CHECK SUM ERROR!. These were helpful hints left by other users. It is hard to understand why an instrument of this caliber (not to mention price$$$$) is not capable of receveing updates from other modern midi interfaces. We are not talking rocket science here folks- its a simple communication protocol! It looks like my GLORIOUS VOYAGER IS A SLOW LEARNER THAT IS INCAPABLE OF SIMPLE DATA RECEPTION . ARE YOU LISTENING BOB MOOG! Why should I have to go out and spend more $ in order to buy an el cheapo midi interface who's only purpose is to talk VERY SLOOOWLY to my Voyager.
I vote that the VOYAGER be re-named the JALOPY :-)

But serously folks, I hope a simple and effective fix is issued REAL soon since my synth is useless at this point. BEWARE THE UPGRADE!!!
Paul Ellis

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:56 pm

Yeah i had given up on tryin to update via sounddiver ( although i use that app for every other one o my synths , even my old DX-7 ) and i was finally successful via some free dos midi manager i found that was able to dump the buffer size low enuff for the mmv to accept the send successfully. Was not a fun day :cry:

elirentz

Post by elirentz » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:28 pm

Just use midi ox and turn the speed down real low and it works fine, for me atleast.

elirentz

Post by elirentz » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:29 pm

Oh yeah and its free

elirentz

Post by elirentz » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:29 pm

Oh yeah and its free

Soundz Righteous

Beware The Update

Post by Soundz Righteous » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:09 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am running a Mac G4 under OS 10.2.8 MIDI OX is a Windows only program. I dont have a PC emulation program. I do have a
packed away PC running Windows 95 or 98 with an older MOTU micro express serial interface. Although on that machine I was running the first edition of Sound Diver and I never did get that program to work as advertised. Does Anyone have a clue as to really how slow the update must play back in terms of a actual data rate?
When I spent a great deal of my precious studio time on the update using Protools, I played the update back REALLY slow- like 30 seconds- and I still recived the dreaded CHECK SUM ERROR! message. When I drop the update into a MIDI track the duration is about .05 seconds. So I did slow it down a great deal!
Paul Ellis

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:41 am

as far as i know, there is a freeware sysex-prg for OSX. Sorry, i don't know the name, but it was mentioned inside the Evolver - Egroup.
Try to find this.
If your packed-away-pc is still working, try this one also, the update should be working fine with "older" Motu's and the latest drivers ( they 've done a lot to make them performing better).
Stefan

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:29 pm

u could always take a "joystick port ---> midi" cable connector and your MMV to an internet cafe , download midi-ox and do it there :D prolly cost you $5 for an hour hehehhe . I recall while doing my update i couldnt send slow enuff on my pulsars so i had to re-enable my onboard soundcard on my motherboard, maybe try the default joystick port on your mac ( although i dont even know if macs come with that, i know nothing about macs sorry) Hope u find a way around this problem

Take it easy

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:33 pm

i use a program called SendSX

http://www.bome.com/midi/sendsx/

i heard about it from this forum in an older post it works for me, without any tweaking whatsoever. i got it cuz midiox wasnt working for me, but of course i didnt change no settings in it all cuz im lazy.

"using bad grammer on purpose be fun"

--ZEBRoWSKI--
:roll:

MisterModular

Post by MisterModular » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:33 pm

I don't think the issue is the Voyager or the OS update. I've been using SysEx Librarian under Mac OSX for over a year now on my sig edition with absolutely NO problems. My midi interface is a Tascam US-428. All of these items work flawlessly when updating the OS or transferring patches to and from the Voyager.

Soundz Righteous

Problem Solved!

Post by Soundz Righteous » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:04 am

I'm afraid I owe Moog Music and my Voyager a sincere apology ( is it possible to offend or apologize to an inanimate object?). What I discovered is that the problem has nothing to do with a too speedy an interface. I sent the sysex message out thru the Digi MIDI I/O, recorded it and checked out the file. While the file started and ended properly- with F0 and F7 respectively, there were 292 extra bits added to the file- hence the CHECK SUM ERROR! and the failed update to my digital EQ I had been attempting.
I believe the problem is MIDI Time Stamping. Unfortunantly this great feature cannot be switchced off in software just yet. I ended up re-configuring the USB MIDI I/O of my Yamaha O2R96 in order to send the sysex out of the boards MIDI ports, bypassing the Digi I/O altogether. This worked like a charm! All is well in studio land. Too bad it only took me 5 days (in my "spare" time) to figure this one out.
I guess I get a little upset when the precious few extra hours I get to spend in my studio get eaten up with stupid tech. problems-Doh!
Paul Ellis

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:30 pm

Glad to hear u got it all updated and working , thats the main thing :D now u can enjoy using it how it was meant to be used. Hope you get as much fun out of it as it seems most of us have.