Just pulled the trigger on a Voyager...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
pelissarim

Just pulled the trigger on a Voyager...

Post by pelissarim » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I am a aspiring music producer and just pulled the plug on a Voyager.

Moog Limited Edition Bubinga Minimoog Voyager Bundle.

Anything specific about my first purchase with Moog I should know.

This is my first physical synth piece of equipment. Everything else I have synth wise is just VST.

But I have a good system to output my beauty when I get it next week.
Saffire Pro 40 and KRK RP5s with a 10s sub.
Last edited by pelissarim on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c7sus

Re: Just pulled the Plug on a Voyager...

Post by c7sus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:36 am

Congratulations!

I would recommend not planning on leaving your studio for the next month or so.

Also, +1 on the 10s sub. Sounds great with the Voyager and also T3.

If your bundle includes a VX-351 you're going to want some MoogerFoogers too. And a CP-251. And some patch cables! And at least one or more expression pedals. I use mine mainly to control volume, but they can control a lot more than that.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:27 pm

c7sus wrote:Congratulations!

I would recommend not planning on leaving your studio for the next month or so.

Also, +1 on the 10s sub. Sounds great with the Voyager and also T3.

If your bundle includes a VX-351 you're going to want some MoogerFoogers too. And a CP-251. And some patch cables! And at least one or more expression pedals. I use mine mainly to control volume, but they can control a lot more than that.
Thanks, I don't plan on leaving my setup for a while. At least until I have a full ambient/techno track complete. But alas I am busy all weekend next week which is gonna kill me.

The bundle comes with a special edition of the Limited Blue(Different wood and look) as well as the VX-351 and a CP-251. Besides any of the MoogerFoogers are there any other effects pedals that are recommended to work well with the Voyager?

I also eventually plan on getting a Q119 because I really want a Sequencer/Arpegiator for it. As that's the only function it itself is missing for my likes. Granted I am aware of all the CV options to do similar things. No idea how to patch anything but I will find out.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:00 pm

First off, congratulations! Fantastic synthesizer!

Secondly, I think you meant "pulled the trigger". "pulled the plug" on your implies that the Voyager died :shock: :wink:

Thirdly, when you get your Voyager, turn it on let it warm up for at least ten minutes, and read through the manual cover to cover. It's a fantastic tool, and very well written. I still return to it every now and then after almost three years.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:10 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:First off, congratulations! Fantastic synthesizer!

Secondly, I think you meant "pulled the trigger". "pulled the plug" on your implies that the Voyager died :shock: :wink:

Thirdly, when you get your Voyager, turn it on let it warm up for at least ten minutes, and read through the manual cover to cover. It's a fantastic tool, and very well written. I still return to it every now and then after almost three years.

Thanks! And you are quite right with my phrase there, didnt even think about that -.-

Does it come with a hardcopy of the manual or am I either going to have to buy one from Moog or print my own copy?

Also I know I am definitely going to purchase a Q119 or Doepfer Dark Time(Blue LED) as my next addition. Gotta sequence up some good sounds!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:30 pm

pelissarim wrote: Does it come with a hardcopy of the manual or am I either going to have to buy one from Moog or print my own copy?
If it doesn't come with a manual (a brand new Voyager should), you can download a PDF copy here:

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minim ... nloads-tab

The manual addresses both the Voyager keyboard and Rack Mount versions, and includes the instructions on the VX-351.

Once you get up-to-speed on the Voyager/VX-351/CP-251, jump over to KnobTweak for additional ideas and support... :D

pelissarim wrote:Also I know I am definitely going to purchase a Q119 or Doepfer Dark Time(Blue LED) as my next addition.
+1 on the Q119 (and maybe also consider the Q960). The Dark Time is also a good choice here. 8)

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:03 am

GregAE wrote:
pelissarim wrote: Does it come with a hardcopy of the manual or am I either going to have to buy one from Moog or print my own copy?
jump over to KnobTweak for additional ideas and support... :D

pelissarim wrote:Also I know I am definitely going to purchase a Q119 or Doepfer Dark Time(Blue LED) as my next addition.
+1 on the Q119 (and maybe also consider the Q960). The Dark Time is also a good choice here. 8)
So i headed over to knobtweak and requested to join the group!

Also in terms of the sequencers, regardless of price are there any main differences to pick one over the other?

stewthom

Post by stewthom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:40 pm

I don't know much about sequencers, but I did get a Doepfer Dark Time (with blue LEDs, no less) for my Voyager last summer. Highly recommended pairing, at least based on my experience.

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:39 pm

stewthom wrote:I don't know much about sequencers, but I did get a Doepfer Dark Time (with blue LEDs, no less) for my Voyager last summer. Highly recommended pairing, at least based on my experience.
Perfect that's what I like to hear! That one is presently at the top of my list!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:32 pm

pelissarim wrote:
stewthom wrote:I don't know much about sequencers, but I did get a Doepfer Dark Time (with blue LEDs, no less) for my Voyager last summer. Highly recommended pairing, at least based on my experience.
Perfect that's what I like to hear! That one is presently at the top of my list!
As I said in an earlier post, the Dark Time is a good choice. In its favor is the fact that it's self-contained, requiring only a PSU for power (comes with). Add a few 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters and you're good to go.

On the other hand, a Q119 requires a power source and a cabinet, which adds to the cost. But with that you have the beginnings of an expandable Dotcom system that will interface wonderfully with the Voyager, VX-351/CP-251, Moogerfoogers, and any other CV/Gate devices. And that expandability allows you to grow as your experience (and wallet) dictates.

Choice is yours, but personally I'd wait until you come to grips with the Voyager and related Moog devices before making a commitment to a hardware sequencer. There's a lot to experiment and learn from using just the basic equipment.

My 0.02, FWIW.

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 am

GregAE wrote:
pelissarim wrote:

Choice is yours, but personally I'd wait until you come to grips with the Voyager and related Moog devices before making a commitment to a hardware sequencer. There's a lot to experiment and learn from using just the basic equipment.

My 0.02, FWIW.
Oh I completely agree! I have to wait anyways student loans need to go poof before I get anything else!

Thanks for the help!