LFO Rate sync

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
joam

LFO Rate sync

Post by joam » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:00 pm

How can I sync the lfo rate to logic?

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:47 pm

You do know we have a search feature here?

It's really cool, it lets you find threads where this topic has been discussed before. You just click on SEARCH near the top, enter "sync" for the keyword, and a bunch of threads pop up like this one:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... light=sync

Another cool feature are user manuals. You can find them on the Moog Music website, just click on MINIMOOG, then MANUALS, then USER MANUAL, and your answer is on pages 34 and 62. You need Adobe Acrobat reader to read them, and some versions of Acrobat also have a FIND feature to search for words like "sync".

I love computers, they're so cool.

CountRockula

Post by CountRockula » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Man I'm getting so tired of the rude people on this otherwise great forum. I've been flamed twice, once for asking a very legitimate sequencing question and then again after posting the answer to my own question. In my experience Midi\CV is very powerful and very useful, but at the same time has a steep learning curve for newer users. Personally I had a hard time learning it but find it is was pretty easy once I grasped the concept of it all. Have to say I picked most of it up here and not in the instruction book.

I think all the Synth/Midi gurus here need to realize that the Moog is monophonic and very easy to play and sound great doing it. This attracts allot of guitar players and the like that have no synth/midi/CV experience. So lighten up already!!

Here is how I sync the LFO to my midi stuff (master beat clock in Pro Tools). Pro Tools acts as the Midi master, I then slave it to my FR Mobius which acts as a Midi to CV converter. At this point I can run a sequence in time with the beat clock in PT. I then connect the CV out on the Mobius to the LFO rate on the Moog. The LFO will then pulse in time with the beat clock in PT. So in my case some kind of Midi to CV converter works best. I have attempted to sync it with strait Midi but did not think it sounded right (in time).

till

Post by till » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:41 pm

The LFO of the Voyager does not sync its speed to midi at all.
But it syncs to midi clock just like an oscillator syncs to another oscillator.
That is resetting the wave to its start point when the sync event is encountered.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:12 pm

CountRockula wrote:I have attempted to sync it with strait Midi but did not think it sounded right (in time).
Man I'm getting so tired of people who are too lazy to check the references I provided. If you had bothered to read the thread I provided, you would have learned that the LFO can't be perfectly sync'd to MIDI.

If I wanted to be rude, I would have told him to RTFM. But I politely showed him the resources Moog Music provided and spelled it out for him. If you don't like having someone else hold your hands, then you need to lighten up.

monads

Post by monads » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:33 pm

MC's reply to solar was pretty detailed I thought. I do think however some of the common questions that frequently pop up like this should be made stickies. LFO Sync, MSB/LSB and Voyager, Glide/filter tracking, etc.

CountRockula

Post by CountRockula » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:11 pm

You do know we have a search feature here?

It's really cool, it lets you find threads where this topic has been discussed before. You just click on SEARCH near the top, enter "sync" for the keyword, and a bunch of threads pop up like this one:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... light=sync

Another cool feature are user manuals. You can find them on the Moog Music website, just click on MINIMOOG, then MANUALS, then USER MANUAL, and your answer is on pages 34 and 62. You need Adobe Acrobat reader to read them, and some versions of Acrobat also have a FIND feature to search for words like "sync".

I love computers, they're so cool.

I did fully read the thread that you posted and it was informative and a pretty good answer to the guys question. I was talking about the rest of the post. If you did not mean to have mean sarcastic tone then I read it wrong and I appologize.

The midi CV method does work pretty well for me. I can punch in anywhere I want within a midi timing grid in Pro Tools and the LFO will always be in sync. The sequencer resets the LFO with each of it's steps. It may not be actually controlling the LFO rate but it sounds like it is. I know you can do this with midi but like I said it does not sound good to me.
Examples of my Voyager in Rock action [url]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=47899403[/url]