how do you use the voyager in with other cv synth modules?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
SirZebrathe9th

how do you use the voyager in with other cv synth modules?

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:33 pm

does anybody know anything about using other cv/gate controlled synth modules with the voyager, ie, triggering it with the keyboard? it is possible right? i just got this new toy for it and im trying to figure out how to play/modulate with it my precious voyager. i have the cv expander so i should be able do something or other with it, right? im setting up a mini little modular system with my moog as the centerpiece. i just got this new dealie but i obviously know little about it as it came with really lame instructions, as usual......i just want to know the proper way to trigger notes with the keys, then i can start figuring out the dealie, patching it and whatnot. then later ill worry about modulating the separate aspects of the both with each other. know what i mean?

any suggestions/help?

gracias

ZEBRA999

...also can anybody recommend a good "__" channel mixer to use to send the voyagers audio, among a couple other synths(non-analog) and drum machines into a computer soundcard for recording and sequencing purposes with mono and stereo?

puppets

Post by puppets » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:35 pm

Hi,

Do you want to use the voyager as the main cv controller? then you have to use the new cv expander. Connect a cable from cv output on the expander and conect it to the cv input on another cv/gate synth using 1v/oct for instance sci pro~one or roland sh101 and connect a cable from the gate output on the expander to the gate/trig input on the other synth. This is the way you can use the voyager as a mother cv keyboard. Then you can take the velocity cv output of the expander and connect it to for instance to the filter cv in if your other synth has that, to control it's filter with velocity from the voyager. it is quite easy after awhile and you will just love the unlimited possibilities when using cv/gate as controlling system.

I hope it answered at least some of your questions regarding cv/gate, otherwise feel free to ask again.

regards

Jonas
'I tweak til it hertz...'
Jonas

SirZebrathe9th

voyager modulation and mixers for cpu recording

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:22 pm

it helped a lil. thanks. but i have to figure out this crazy contraption first, its a bit arcane and, i have to make patches begore i get any sound out, all in due time.

but what im concerned about right now is using a mixer with 1/4" plugs to send the my voyagers audio to a sound card in stereo, along with a couple other digi synths and beatboxes in stereo and mono? i want to record these along with some vinyl samples and whatever to sequence tracks on my computer.

whats a good brand/type? is this bad idea, cause then im not working in analog anymore? i dont want some dumb interface as i've allways used a mixer (vestax06), but i havent always had a moog. so i need a new one(mixer that is)
...damn i probabaly shoulda made a new topic for this question...
anyways

ZEBRA out.

soundhound123

Post by soundhound123 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:02 am

hello,

as far as your recording your synth i would not worry about it becoming "digital". digital signals are still analogous to the original sound
although similar to analog recordings (tape) the level of accuracy is determined by the capture rate(96khz,44.1khz,22.05khz), the capture rate of your recording is as follows: the highest frequency that you can accurately record is roughly half of the capture rate. cds have a maximum sample rate(capture rate) of 44.1khz stereo 16 bit, now this is interpereted as follows: two audio streams(left and right), streaming(playing back) 44,100 samples per second, and each sample being 16 bits in size.
now given the information above(44.1khz capture rate) we know that the highest frequency that will be played back from a cd is roughly 22khz.
which is darn close to the top of the human range of hearing.
out of all that mumbo jumbo all that i am trying to say is that with digital recording you get out what you put in, what really matters in your scenerio is your tone generators and signal processors if thats all analog then the recording digital should not matter,in fact you will be quite pleased with the results digital recordings offer many advantages including but not limited to low noise to sound ratios and minimal bias. i would suggest something made by m-audio, if you plan to record multiple sound sources at once i would suggest using m-audio's delta 10/10(this is what i use) it has 8 analog inputs ,8 analog outputs, one digital input, one digital output, midi in and out, and word clock in and out, it goes for about 599.99 us dollars.
if you would rather use on instrument at a time i would suggest buying one of m-audio's audiophiles(there are several different kinds) they are in the 250 to 300 dollar price range. well i really hope this helped you some.
"we don't know one millionth of one percent about anything"

Thomas Edison

Mel Teasy!

Post by Mel Teasy! » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:53 am

soundhound123 wrote: as far as your recording your synth i would not worry about it becoming "digital". digital signals are still analogous to the original sound
although similar to analog recordings (tape) the level of accuracy is determined by the capture rate(96khz,44.1khz,22.05khz), the capture rate of your recording is as follows: the highest frequency that you can accurately record is roughly half of the capture rate. cds have a maximum sample rate(capture rate) of 44.1khz stereo 16 bit, now this is interpereted as follows: two audio streams(left and right), streaming(playing back) 44,100 samples per second, and each sample being 16 bits in size.
now given the information above(44.1khz capture rate) we know that the highest frequency that will be played back from a cd is roughly 22khz.
which is darn close to the top of the human range of hearing.
out of all that mumbo jumbo all that i am trying to say is that with digital recording you get out what you put in,

à l'effet contraire mon ami :-)

Whilst listening to something 'digital' you lose 80% of your muscle tone(yes,CDs included). Some people explain the phenomena as a digital=cold vs. analog=warm argument,but more accurately 'digital sound' causes stress. -Mel

SirZebrathe9th

yaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:21 pm

8)
yas!!!

that is exactly what i was trying to get at Mr. Mel Teasy, but couldnt seem to verbalize on it.

:arrow: now what what im trying to figure out is a good solution for sequencing, and recording my analog stuff, while keeping it analog, then somehow throwing some of that good ol fashioned digi stuff from the digi domain in. but always keepin the analog analogue. i dont know about analog sequencers but they seem kinda limited and expensive to me, and youd need a bunch if you want to get complex like with a cpu. but then the only thing is if put it on cd then the whole ideas ruined. and by any means i dont want to be a vinyl snob at all. (although i am) thats what me thinks anyways...
the answer's probably real simple or maybe there is no solution, its just that im slow on the uptake sometimes.

Senor Zebratito

soundhound123

yoyoyo

Post by soundhound123 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:02 pm

well, i understand the whole warm/cold argument, and used a reel to reel for six busy years, then went on to digital, the trick is to find the similarities to analog, and learn how to best exploit them (saturation via controlled overload or if you are not quite confortable with that can use dynamic compression/limiting then use very little saturation-based compression, then go as far as adding black noise. in all truth it is easier to get the sound that you want but i am a control freak, and with digital you can control every nuance of the warmth. my methods of recording border on "digital alchemy", which at this time is for the most part is trade sensitive, or at least until my methods have become more popularized, or at least until i have become more popularized. well anyways all i am trying to say is in the digital world the tools are all there, they are just not as obvious as methods of recording via tape, it will take years of experience to get your "sound" in the digital world but once you do there will be no ceiling, no limitations and your abilities will grow exponentially. the ends do justify the means. using cakewalk's sonar xl, sonic foundrys sound forge and a pair of brent averill neve 1073 parametric eq/preamps, i a have been able to exploit the digital world, and create amazingly warm recordings contrary to what i used to believe, and what many people still believe. the reason for my lengthy explanation is that i spend alot of time teaching friends and co-workers how to do the very thing that i have been explaining in my past two responses and i am working on my book that is actually called
"Digital Alchemy". and also i hope you do decide to experiment, as well as letting me know what you think. well i hope something in this is of some assistance to you, and i apologize for being vague, and not explaing the processes that i listed above. just remember it's not just the process it is how you use it, and also preamp everything everything even if it outputs at line level.(if you ever decide to invest in neve 1073 preamps you will see why!!)
~ ~
0 0
>
L__l
U
. . .

. . .
have fun guys!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"we don't know one millionth of one percent about anything"

Thomas Edison

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:12 am

wow, an author. i want to read this book, it sounds like it might be interesting :wink:

i appreciate your input, i just wanted to hear about other peoples techniques for making music. especially from other moog owners, because in my mind these people all seem to be kind of similair in way. im just a young cat, 22 going on 23, im always trying to find a better way about things and im always evovling my style. i used to just just take samples from mostly vinyl and sequence everything in a tracker, before that i had an old discontinued cheap ass akai non MPC sampler and adding some skratching on top. then making a ghetto tape or cd. so thats where im coming from, a pseudo dj background. thats where my affinity for analog comes from. everything i maded ended up sounding hip hop to me, just really basic stuff, which was cool for a while, i mean thats my background. but it doesnt take much talent to steal a snippet and chop it and loop it. then i got into vst plugins and such. then my hard drive crapped out on me with all my samples, incomplete song files, programs, etc. I love and i HAte computers, thats why i ask about them. i still plan on using samples, just not so often. but its not as hands on as i like so enters the moog. im just trying to make some happy medium between ghetto fabolous funk and super high pro techno. for the sake of simplicity i dont want million different pieces of equipment and applications in an studio gone wild. i want the most amount of sound possibilites with the least possible amount of equipment possible.it all has to be streamlined and easy, and thats my main concern. im not to caught up in this A/D quandry, because i dont really care. you could make a 2 grand moog sound like a 30 dollar casio in a garbage can if you wanted or vice versa. and im just trying to make some happy medium between ghetto fabolous and super high pro techno and still have it be funky and dirty with a little bit of the smooth tip on top.

i typed too much.
bye bye,
ZEBRA

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:23 am

i want to know if anyone out there doesnt use a computer to record their music. you could use a computer for vsts and plugin effect stuff, and sequencing stuff, but does anyone actually make the final product outside the computer? the old school way?