Sound Problem: delayed or not triggering at all

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
machinea

Sound Problem: delayed or not triggering at all

Post by machinea » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am

I'm hoping this is an issue with warming up the voyager but it's not one I've encountered before even after leaving it off for a month or two. However this time my voyager has been in dry, warm storage for two years before moving it across country using a moving vehicle. It has remained double boxed, in its original packaging, the entire time. I just got it out and turned on, I DID NOT give it adequate time to warm up (and am sincerely hoping this is the issue) but noticed right off that no sound was coming from triggering the keys with the headphones in. Eventually I got some sound triggering the keys but only on certain patches, some triggered immediately but most took quite a few seconds to elicit a sound after holding the key down for a while. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to which patches or banks this occurred on. I did notice absolutely no percussion patches seemed to trigger at all though.

I decided to connect it to a midi keyboard to see if it was possibly something wrong with triggering from its own keyboard but the same problem continued. I decided to allow it more time to warm up and came back about 10 minutes later to find that again I could get no sound out of the keyboard or via midi keyboard. I didn't have any more time to work with it tonight so turned it off and didn't try to mess with it further.

I'm baffled and concerned. Has anyone encountered anything remotely like this? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.

ETA: I'm wondering if some connection could have become unseated during the move across country.

JnGd

Re: Sound Problem: delayed or not triggering at all

Post by JnGd » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:47 am

Hi,

let the "vessel" heat, then try a factory reset as per instructions given at p.70 of the manual and have a Merry Christmas !

shmeqn

Post by shmeqn » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:23 am

I have a volume envelope problem. When I hold a key, the attack slowly ramps up even when dialed for a fast attack, but when I jump to another key (while the envelope is still decaying), the attack rises normally. See if this occurs with your synth too.
Simple Harmonic Motion EQuatioN

machinea

Post by machinea » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks I will try that a reset. I just got the voyager hooked up in the studio and the same issue is happening regardless of using headphone output or audio output. I fear I have a dying chip somewhere. I can get sound on some presets and then nothing on others after allowing warm up. Then when I got back to a preset that formerly worked I get nothing. I have a feeling this is electrical and not software related.

machinea

Post by machinea » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:43 pm

No Dice with the OS.

Although, here is an odd thing, if I plug the headphones in and listen very carefully with no other sound in the room, I can hear some of the patches through the right side of the headphone at a terribly low volume, like almost hard to hear. From what I can tell the patch is responding to all the knobs, Cutoff, resonance, LFO, tuning and mod wheel. This is just bizarre.

JoshInTheBox

Post by JoshInTheBox » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:03 am

I would call moog support immediately. I would bet that you need an analog board swap. I had similar issues, which then evolved into some of the coolest distortion that I have ever heard(recorded it). Some sounds were silent, and others were barely there. It ended up being a filter alignment ic. I pulled the analog board, sent it to them and they sent me another one. It was within the warranty period for me, so I could not venture to guess the cost of this. Do yourself a favor and get support involved now. It is best not to wait. Get the process started.

You may be able to confirm the issue by twiddling the amount to filter knob below the the filter envelope controls. If you get more sound out of it, chances are that you have the same issue that I had.

Best of luck!
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
-Edgar Allen Poe

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:11 pm

This may sound super obvious, but make sure you unplug ALL MIDI and 1/4" jacks from the Voyager before anything else. I've had the exact same problem only to find out a day later that I had an insert cable plugged in that was going nowhere yet cutting off my sound.

Stephen