Voyager anniversary edition: Upgrade?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
LA Keys

Voyager anniversary edition: Upgrade?

Post by LA Keys » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Greetings all!

Recently bought a (used) Voyager anniversary edition. Love it! I'm new to analog synth, but also got roland synths and virus kb. Looking at the Moog website I saw that there's a few upgrades available: 3.X field upgrade and After pressure upgrade. (The quiet II technology is not available for anniversary ed).

While I do understand that the 3.X field upgrade multiply the amount of stored presets by 7x, and includes 2 midi improvements, I was wondering if there's any other difference soundwise? I'm not sure that I need so many presets for now, but still debating about having my Moog upgraded. Opinions anyone?

In this post http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... re#p118852 I saw a comment by Rudy about removing "C9" and two diodes, which I'm very comfortable doing myself. Rudy stated that this will make the board "pretty actual". My Voyager seem to be fine as it is (no crackling noise or anything else). Should I do that anyway?

LA

thealien666

Re: Voyager anniversary edition: Upgrade?

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Welcome to the Moog Forum.

Are you talking about this Anniversary Edition Voyager ?

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Ohhh, I so much wish I did :shock:

But no, It's "just" the 50th anniversary model that came just before the electric blue, with about the same look...
According to the moog website this model preceeded those upgrades

Still love it :mrgreen:

LA

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:31 pm

There's the Voyager Anniversary (e.g. 10 yr.; my Select that these decals, etc. on it). Then there is the Minimoog Anniversary edition (bling as you referenced).

I'm not an expert in firmware but if you don't nee date presets, don't bother. The diff between the original analog board from when they started making the Voyager and the latest is nil. Maybe different component suppliers but the same specifications per component and this thing is so tight, I doubt highly that there is any sonic difference.

I thought that Quiet II did something about some background noise from the light circuits but again, may be minimal at worst.

Just play the heck out of that thing, congrats on picking it up... everybody should have one (or more than one).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm not sure but I think that only very early Voyagers with the back lit panel could benefit from the Quiet II technology. I'm pretty sure the newer ones already have it from the factory ? (I could be wrong...)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks all of you for your comments.

Since this was my first post here my answer to you where delayed, pending approval from the moderator.
Wish you can read this without such delay.

LA

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 pm

EMwhite wrote:I thought that Quiet II did something about some background noise from the light circuits but again, may be minimal at worst.
Yes, I did notice some background noise ("buzzing") if I crank up the light, but believe I could easily mask the noise by playing the keys at the same time :wink:
The Moog website state that this upgrade is not available for signature or anniversary edition (that should mean the 50th anniversary ed.). But I'm fine with that.
EMwhite wrote: Just play the heck out of that thing, congrats on picking it up... everybody should have one (or more than one)
I Will :mrgreen:

I'm still puzzled about doing the mod suggested by Rudy or not (See the OP). Did anyone in fact removed "C9" and the two diodes? I'm pretty good at doing thing like this, but wanted to know if I should do this only if I have a "crackling noise" problem or if there are other benefits of doing this?

LA

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:20 am

I don't think it's a recommended mod.

Rudi mentioned it in response to my crackling noise woes, after I quoted a tech who said it might be because I used a new OS with an old digi board. But all Rudi said was that "this is the difference between the new and old board". He doubted the crackling was due to this difference. And since you don't even experience that crackling issue, well, don't fix what's not broken etc... 8)

Since I just fried the OS and possibly the entire digi board :shock: of my Signature Edition, I'm gonna send it to an authorized tech and I'll try to remember to ask him about the difference. I'm gonna see if he can fix the crackling noise as well. Never did get around to that (it's not all that bad unless you're recording).

slirak

Post by slirak » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:09 pm

For future reference:
With the aid of Rudi Linhard, I managed to get my non-booting Voyager back to life and complete the OS upgrade. The steps to do that are in this thread.