octave transpose / potentiometer durability question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
midilifestyle

octave transpose / potentiometer durability question

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:49 am

So I'm away from my voyager for nine months while I'm in Mexico, and I got a cheap synth (mininova) to satisfy my daily synth therapy needs.

I got it after being blown away by Dorian Concept's youtube videos from years ago, and his technique of flipping through the octave transpose buttons with his left hand (while also modulating pitch and mod wheels with his left hand), and playing with his right. I'm getting really good at jumping around with octave buttons, and I want to translate this technique to the Voyager when I get home.

The problem is, the octave transpose buttons are in the most awkward spot if you want to make them a full-time set of real time controls.

For solutions, I was wondering if I could use the octave knob on oscillator one to do a similar thing (assuming I limit myself to one oscillator for the transposition). My question is: would wrenching on the octave knob constantly while playing damage the pot? I know the filter knob is built to withstand constant fiddling, but the osc octave knob isn't a continuous pot like that.

Will I wreck the potentiometer on my voyager?

Alternatively: if anyone could provide a workaround to assign octave transposition to some other control on the Voyager's faceplate, or can think of any other custom solutions, I'd be endebted to you.

thealien666

Re: octave transpose / potentiometer durability question

Post by thealien666 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:12 am

The octave selector in the oscillators section is actually a rotary mechanical switch, not a potentiometer. It is of high quality and durability (industrial grade) and should endure thousands of flipping through octaves.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:39 pm

They're plenty rugged. Zero problems on my Voyager since 2003.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm

One of the issues you will find by using the Transpose knob to change octaves, is that you're only changing one oscillator at a time. Also, the filter may be set to track the keyboard is not being transposed at the same time, so the overall effect is different than playing in a different octave.

Stephen

LWG

Post by LWG » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Hello!

Global octave transposition is done simply by pressing the edit button twice and using the up and down cursor
keys to jump octaves. If you must use the rotary octave switch to jump octaves for more than one oscillator, you could pot map the octave switch from oscillator 1 to octave function for oscillator 2, and it should control both, but I'm not sure if this works with the switch, so you'll have to verify this yourself.

Regards,

-L

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:38 pm

I know, as I said above: "The problem is, the octave transpose buttons are in the most awkward spot if you want to make them a full-time set of real time controls. "

I was thinking about the possibility of getting my voyager modified to install hard wired octave buttons near the pitch and the mod wheel. Does anyone know how hard this would be to have done? Bonus points if you know a synth tech in the Chicago area that could do the surgery.