Really daft CV jack question!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
RichardK

Really daft CV jack question!

Post by RichardK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:48 am

Back with a Voyager - this time a PE, nothing as exciting as my old Select, but I love it.

I've been replacing all the things I had - so just got a VX-351 and rack kit in anticipation of getting a CP. I have a silly question though - the cable being so long for the VX, and my rackmount desk being one of those little fridge-on-wheels sized ones; I anticipate a lot of wires dangling between VX/CP and Voyager.

Has anyone made a 1U rackmount panel and loom that just plugs into the CV ins back of the Voyager and brings those jacks to a more convenient place for patching? Would such a thing be of interest if I decided to assemble some, and would a light gauge of wire for the loom be acceptable to save stress and so forth? Also would there be anything clever that could be done if assembling such a thing?
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4

thealien666

Re: Really daft CV jack question!

Post by thealien666 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Question: why didn't you get an XL instead ? You wouldn't need all this mess of long hanging patch cables...

Other question: why do you say the your new Performer Edition isn't as "exciting" as your former Select Edition ? It's essentially the same machine, only with less useless-but-cool-looking "eye candy"...

Just saying...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Patch bay.

Search the Moogerfooger Forum. There have been a few pic examples shared.

I'm thinking a used PE is hella cheaper than an XL.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:05 pm

1: A Voyager XL is £3,700 or thereabouts.
2: I had a Voyager SS before and I liked it. It was my first brand-new analogue synth, it was Fire/Mahogany and looked wonderful all lit up. The PE is a 2004ish one, it doesn't like up, and I have to field upgrade it to fix the A/T and add the banks - which I will do. But it's less exciting in that it's not new, it's not a new experience. Even my SS serial number was cool - 321.

So yeah, my Voyager was about a third of the cost of the XL. I got a good deal on the VX. The CP, I've yet to get. But that probably answers that question, no?

I am thinking my old one I did use a Behringer patchbay which could do normalled, half-normalled, open and something else, which got around the issues of open CV...
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4