Voyager Multi-Trigger Mode

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sdhains

Voyager Multi-Trigger Mode

Post by sdhains » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:00 am

Hey guys,
I have looked through the manual several times and looked for answers in previous searches. It seems that I can't successfully activate multi-trigger mode via the software menu. When I play legato, even with multi mode activated, the envelope builds in volume as if it is part of the same envelope. I have turned the device on pressing the top two keys on the keyboard - this did not do anything - as suggested in another thread. Is there something I am missing?

Just bought this unit for a bargain price second hand, really hoping it is not defective. Would be very appreciative if someone had the answer to this problem, very frustrating.

EDIT: I spoke to moog and they said that this did seem like unusual behaviour , unless they are missing something it seems I will be trying to get back in contact with the guy who sold it to me !

Sam

My Settings are as Follows:
MASTER 4.2 Menu
MIDI Key Order
Maximum Keys = 1
Active Key = OFF

EDIT 3.4 Menu
Trigger Modes = Multi Trigger

EDIT 3.3
Keyboard Modes = last key

Release mode is ON

PS. I have a Voyager 50th Anniversary Edition

sloth713

Re: Voyager Multi-Trigger Mode

Post by sloth713 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:27 am

Make sure your release time is short enough because if it is longer the release will complete its phase before the new envelope is triggered

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 am

Shouldn't have to (mess with envelopes). I haven't messed with this on my Voyager but when I had my Old School, it worked flawlessly. I had a switch installed to do a hard change for legato staccato (without having to do the power off nonsense), but it did a proper retrig of the envelope with each additional pressed key. I would have to think that the Voyager can do the same and would think even more that it would be a soft switch (in a menu) and not required the restart.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Let's make something clear: when you say that "the envelope builds in volume as if it is part of the same envelope", you mean that the attack portion keeps getting higher with each new note played ? If so, that's perfectly normal on longer attack times, as if you were playing new notes Staccato style.

What Multi-Trigger mode does is only to simulate you taking your finger off a note before replaying it or others, effectively resetting the envelope to the start of the attack phase of its cycle.

To test for proper operation of the Multi-Trigger mode, set your VCA attack time to 0, decay to 0, sustain to max, and release time to about 2 seconds. If everything is working as it should, playing notes Legato style (overlapping played notes) the sound should keep on playing until you stop playing new notes. If it dies down after about 2 seconds, and no new notes are heard whilst still playing new ones, there's something wrong with the Multi-Trigger mode not engaging. Because this is the perfectly normal native behavior of most monophonic synths in Single-Trigger mode.

Hope this helps...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

sdhains

Post by sdhains » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:22 am

thealien666 wrote:Let's make something clear: when you say that "the envelope builds in volume as if it is part of the same envelope", you mean that the attack portion keeps getting higher with each new note played ? If so, that's perfectly normal on longer attack times, as if you were playing new notes Staccato style.

What Multi-Trigger mode does is only to simulate you taking your finger off a note before replaying it or others, effectively resetting the envelope to the start of the attack phase of its cycle.

To test for proper operation of the Multi-Trigger mode, set your VCA attack time to 0, decay to 0, sustain to max, and release time to about 2 seconds. If everything is working as it should, playing notes Legato style (overlapping played notes) the sound should keep on playing until you stop playing new notes. If it dies down after about 2 seconds, and no new notes are heard whilst still playing new ones, there's something wrong with the Multi-Trigger mode not engaging. Because this is the perfectly normal native behavior of most monophonic synths in Single-Trigger mode.

Hope this helps...
It seems I had misunderstood the role of Multi-trigger. Let me clarify: the problem I am having is that the envelope is NOT resetting to the start of the attack phase when the release is turned up. This happens regardless of staccato or legato playstyles. the envelope does not reset to the start of the attack phase until the full release time has been had.

here is a video. Am I imagining a problem or is there something wrong with this? I was told by Andy at Moog Technical support that the behavior was definitely a little strange and I kicked up a big fuss with the guy who I bought the voyager off- he refused to give me my money back as he had 'already spent it'...

MAX attack and release time on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN-f-l6 ... 4vYon4KfKg

SO: when I press a key, the voyager should return to the start of the envelope - right??? This would mean returning to silence at the start of every note pressed, as the attack is so long that we cannot actually hear the very beginning of it?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:18 am

Just passing by; what you're after may be the ENVELOPE RESET or RETRIG parameter.