Hello !

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Normann

Hello !

Post by Normann » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:51 am

Hello guys

I am new here and just want to introduce myself to this forum.
I am from Brittany (Fr) and i am professional musician for 30yrs. Last July i bought a Voyager Anniversary Edition like new and i am very happy with it. It's gona be on stage soon with two projects for leads and bass, and just can't wait the reahersals coming.

I just have one question about the upgrade as, i bought the voyager with the 2.5 and now i went to install the 3.5. Everything is fine excepted the banks. As i go to the Moog site it seem's that the Anniversary preceded the hardware upgrade but i can't have the banks. The external knob is working with new OS 3.5 but not incrementing the banks while i hold the cursor switch.

Please if somebody could tell me about this or if i need to buy the upgrade ?

thank you !!! 8)
Kurzweil PC3X, K2000, Yamaha SY99, KX88, Minimoog Voyager Anniversary Edition, Rhodes MKII 73

stiiiiiiive

Re: Hello !

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am

Salut Normann, bienvenue !!

Congratulations for your Voyager, you'll love it... you already know it.
I'm far from those software problems so I cannot answer you, but I know some moogfellows will do so.

Where are you located in Britanny? I've spent my holidays in Morbihan sud and Finistère in August. I love this region! :)

JnGd

Post by JnGd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:51 am

Bonjour,
if you don't have the manual, you can have it from the "download" section of the support menu of the MoogMusic site:

page 13 > Voyager keyboard OS 3.5
page 15 > list of presets (maybe included with the manual)
page 16 > Minimoog Voyager manual

if you use the search feature on this forum site, you might find a past topic related to your situation. I scrolled through some ones
and there has been discussions related to upgrades of OS through the years. I would suggest you to contact your local Moog dealer
for reference, maybe in Rennes ? They will probably help you or guide you in how to get the best for you ! Have nice gigs !

bienvenue !

Sofine

Post by Sofine » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:13 am

I think your Voyager, like mine, only has the capacity to store 1 bank of sounds. You can send new banks to your Voyager using sysex (MidiOX for example) but it will overwrite your current bank. You can send individual sounds too.

One option is to buy the hardware upgrade which will allow you to store 7 banks (or maybe 8 ). This is something I am considering too, however, it's expensive. It is a realtively easy install too I'm told, so you should be able to perform this at home yourself!

Also, there is a Soundtower editor / librarian which would allow you to sort through sounds and make your own library of favourite sounds, which you could then make into 1 bank and transfer to your Voyager - a much cheaper option! This is what I currently do.

I hope I understood your question correctly!

Bonne chance,

Simon
Last edited by Sofine on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:26 am

Early Voyagers use a computer board with memory for one bank of patches, later Voyagers had another computer board with expanded memory for multiple banks. I believe the upgrade replaces the computer board for the one with more memory. Technical Support can confirm if your unit needs the upgrade.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Bonjour Normann et bienvenue ! :D

I'm not from France but from Montreal, so we're cousins.

I remember something on this forum about your problem, and if I'm not mistaken, one would need to upgrade the hardware (CPU board) in order to benefit from the added banks.
I could be wrong.

Anyway, as a last resort you could always drop a line to Moog Music customer support about it, and get the info straight from the horses mouth ? :wink:

Cheers !

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Normann

Post by Normann » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Salut Normann, bienvenue !!

Congratulations for your Voyager, you'll love it... you already know it.
I'm far from those software problems so I cannot answer you, but I know some moogfellows will do so.

Where are you located in Britanny? I've spent my holidays in Morbihan sud and Finistère in August. I love this region! :)

Hi Stiiiiiiive,

th'nx for your answer ! i am living in Loctudy south of Pont L'Abbé, very nice place to live !!! and actually very sunny ! 8)
Kurzweil PC3X, K2000, Yamaha SY99, KX88, Minimoog Voyager Anniversary Edition, Rhodes MKII 73

Normann

Post by Normann » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:38 am

Hi everbody,

Thank you very much for all answers !
I effectively made one month ago the software upgrade to OS 3.5 successfully ! that's done
And concerning the hardware one i will write to Moog to get the answer. I will scroll the forum too, i went there but didn't really found the good answer. Maybe Rudi could help me too !

Hello to montreal, friends from here just left to Montreal last weekend for 3 weeks !!! lucky they are ! :)

RL

Post by RL » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Hello Normann,
I'm living in Germany and I could make the memory expansion for you. But there are a lot of more
improvements on newer Voyagers and it would be a good idea to install these mods too.
Feel free to contact me, my email is rudi at moogmusic dot de.
Have fun,
Rudi
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Normann wrote:Hi Stiiiiiiive,

th'nx for your answer ! i am living in Loctudy south of Pont L'Abbé, very nice place to live !!! and actually very sunny ! 8)
Guess what: last month, I had a little road trip: Damgan (golfe du Morbihan est) - Quiberon - Concarneau - Loctudy - Pointe du Van - Douarnenez and back to Paris. We stayed at Le Domaine du Dourdy and visited just a little and indeed we had a beautiful weather!

Maybe we can share a cider pint whenever I come back over here :)

Normann

Post by Normann » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:23 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:
Normann wrote:Hi Stiiiiiiive,

Guess what: last month, I had a little road trip: Damgan (golfe du Morbihan est) - Quiberon - Concarneau - Loctudy - Pointe du Van - Douarnenez and back to Paris. We stayed at Le Domaine du Dourdy and visited just a little and indeed we had a beautiful weather!

Maybe we can share a cider pint whenever I come back over here :)
Hey Hey !!! why not feel free to contact me by PM if you are back here Steve !!! So you passed just few kms from me sure i could say few meters as yyou probably took the road from Loctudy to Plobannalec !!! hahahah :)

JC