Question Re: Envelope Genetator Control Of Filter

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Brad

Question Re: Envelope Genetator Control Of Filter

Post by Brad » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:23 pm

All:

My new Voyager arrived last week. I am new to synthesizers.

I have been working my way through the manual. I think I understand the operation of the oscellators, the mixer, and the filters. I have been working with the volume control of the envelope generator. However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how the envelope controls modulate the filters. How would, for example, the attack and delay time affect the filters? The manual is not particulary helpful on this point.

Thanks for any help.

Brad

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:18 pm

Well, I was able to track down a copy of the Old Minimoog Operation Manual which suitably explained the concept to me. I must say that the new manual is rather vague on some of these concepts.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:26 pm

Is this just using the "Amount to filter" knob? +/- 5...

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:27 pm

My operating theory: When the Filter Envelope "Amount to Filter" Knob is adjusted up, i.e. in the plus range, the "Fiter Cutoff" knob provides a baseline for filter modulation and the "Amount to Filter" setting provides the top end. The ADSR envelope then provides filter modulation within those limits, i.e. the attack knob sets the time for modulation from the baseline to the to end of the "Amount to Filter" setting.