New Voyager Osc1 suddenly sharp across all presets

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
prog_keys

New Voyager Osc1 suddenly sharp across all presets

Post by prog_keys » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:06 am

Hi all,

Haven't been here for quite a while. Anyways, I finally managed to get myself a brand new Electric Blue Voyager a couple of months ago and have been absolutely loving it.

It gets played most days in the studio as well as going to band practice most weeks. Everything has been fine until I turned it on the other day and I noticed that all my presets sounded a bit out of tune. A bit of investigation determined that the pitch of Osc1 has changed consistently across all patches. Before, to get all VCO's in tune both Osc2 and Osc3 needed to be around +2 or +3 to be pretty much in tune. Now they have to be around +6 or +7 to be in tune. I left it a couple of days and have just tried again now and it is the same, Osc 1 is consistently out of tune across all presets (by the same amount , +6/7).

Now, the simple but time consuming solution is to adjust Osc's 2&3 up to +6 on all patches, but I'd like to know if anyone has any idea what could have caused Osc1 to be out of tune consistently across all the presets.

I've checked and there doesn't seem to be any problem with scaling and intonation, pot mapping isn't on, and it's affecting ALL presets, not a few. And I've given the Voyager plenty of time to warm up and it hasn't changed. In fact, it warms up pretty quickly (less than 5min) and stays stable.

When I use the Voyager in my band I have my master keyboard sending program change messages to the Voyager via MIDI, otherwise it's just audio out, nothing in any of the CV jacks.

Not a huge issue I hope, but would be great if someone could shed some light on it maybe? I've got my first gig with it at the end of the week, so very keen to get it sorted out! And I'll send Moog tech support an email about this as well. Thanks!

MC

Re: New Voyager Osc1 suddenly sharp across all presets

Post by MC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 am

Hold off on reprogramming your patches. Sounds like something is wrong with the CV summer for Osc1. Tech Support should be able to guide you on this.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

prog_keys

Post by prog_keys » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks MC. I'm in contact with tech support. They had me check out the pitch wheel calibration to make sure that wasn't the issue, which it wasn't, so I'm waiting to hear for the next step. Finger crossed!

prog_keys

Post by prog_keys » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:37 am

Ok then, Moog support have been extremely helpful! They got me to check the tuning for all the oscillators, OSC 1 was about 10cents sharp, 2 & 3 were about 30cents flat. So a fair bit out of tune. Checked across all octaves on each oscillator and the tracking/scaling looked fine, within a few cents for each. So the Moog tech got me to do a simple tuning of each oscillator using the trimmers on the analog board inside, to bring everything in tune. Fairly simple procedure, took about 90min with most of that being warm ups before and between adjusting the trimmers. All worked successfully and my Voyager seems to be nicely in tune! In fact, I think it is more in tune than when I first bought it and all the patches sound bit better because the tuning is correct now!

So the only thing that baffles me is why the oscillators seemed to drift apart a little more than they have been a few days ago. Weather possibly. But everything's good for now, and now I know how to tune it as well! :D