Decision support: is the Voyager a reliable synthesizer?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
LivePsy

Re: Decision support: is the Voyager a reliable synthesizer?

Post by LivePsy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 pm

And now the "woah, slow down with the phone calls" email from Moog over this 'recall'. It was really unwise to ask thousands of strangers if they have a problem. I cannot believe that anyone purchases a Voyager then doesn't contact Moog but will complain on forums to bash Moog instead. All of these problems can be handled by the excellent Moog and distributor network.
thealien666 wrote:That's why I called it a "pseudo-recall" in one of my posts earlier.

Moog should have done their homework on this, and announce a full blown recall of all Voyagers of a specific serial number range, and offer to replace the analog board, defective or not.
That's what car manufacturers usually do when some part is known to be substandard and prone to failure in their cars.
These synths are not endangering people's lives LOL. No need for gov legislation to prevent this ever happening again...

B
I've stopped talking now.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:00 pm

Well, Moog Music has now wisely published the ranges of affected serial numbers for the different models in a bulletin follow-up.

I would like to apologize to the excellent Moog Music Inc Customer Support team for overreacting to the initial bulletin and suggesting that a full blown recall might have been in order. It wasn't.
In fact, Voyager's owners should be reassured that a very dedicated staff at Moog Music is actually on top of things and carefully monitoring the situation.

In case some of you Voyager owners out there are wondering if your beloved synth is concerned or not, I'm pasting part of the bulletin follow-up here, hoping that it might be useful to some of you.

"The problem stated in the January letter only affects Minimoog Voyagers built between mid-2010 and January 2013 with the following serial numbers: Select Series 829-1724, Performer 2990-3445, Electric Blue 1506-2075, RME 1330-1925, XL 1-545, and Lunar Select Series 1-57. If your Minimoog Voyager is not within this serial number range, you should not expect these issues and we would appreciate it if you do not unnecessarily burden our small Service Staff with a call."

But I would add: ...unless there is actually something really wrong with your Voyager, even outside these serial numbers ranges, of course.

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Just to finish up the email Alain mentioned, it goes on to say:

"If your Minimoog Voyager is not exhibiting problems, then there is no need for you to be concerned. We are confident that the issues previously identified have already materialized in 99% of the instruments that will experience the problem. Therefore, if you are not experiencing problems currently, you should not expect to in the future."

"The problem identified in the January letter is more prevalent in countries with 220V power systems. Those countries with 110/120V power, like the USA and Japan, have less cause for concern."

"And finally, if you have a Minimoog Voyager within the above serial number range and it is exhibiting an issue unrelated to those stated in the January letter, then we will handle it for you, but it will be serviced outside of any warranty."

"Thank you for being our customer."

"Sincerely,
Michael Adams
President of Moog Music, Inc."

JnGd

Post by JnGd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:18 pm

Yes

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:24 am

YES
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

moogie instructor

Post by moogie instructor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:07 am

No!! More confusion
The european importer mailed me that my voyager oldschool
Was in the group of. Sick voyagers. So i send iT out to them for replacement
Of the analog board. And now This mail from Moog. :/??
minimoog voyager oldschool 0674 ,vx351,mf101/102/103/104z,signature edition/105/cp251//ehx16seconddigitaldelay/boss sp202//dd3/dsd3/syb3/rc2plus 40 boss pedals/ehx superego/fabtone and a te op-1

johnts

Post by johnts » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:28 pm

moogie instructor wrote:No!! More confusion
The european importer mailed me that my voyager oldschool
Was in the group of. Sick voyagers. So i send iT out to them for replacement
Of the analog board. And now This mail from Moog. :/??
I received the tech update the other day with details of the models and serial numbers involved and I did not see the Old School listed.

Models listed were: Select series, Performer, Electric blue, RME, XL, Lunar Select series. I also thought it was models produced between 2010 and 2013, dates after the Old School model finished production I believe.

How did your import deduce that your Old School was affected by this issue. Interested to hear as I also have an Old School.
Minimoog Model D reissue | Arturia Matrixbrute | Moog One 16 voice | Nord Stage 3 | David Gilmour Fender Black Strat NOS | Roger Waters Fender Bass |

moogie instructor

Post by moogie instructor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:08 pm

My oldschool. Had a broken env generator. And iT was repaired in 2012/2013
So i mailed them with the question if my oldschool was suspect
The answer was yes. My oldschool is from the last batch 0674

And now my beloved synth is far from home waiting for something that Will never
Happen
minimoog voyager oldschool 0674 ,vx351,mf101/102/103/104z,signature edition/105/cp251//ehx16seconddigitaldelay/boss sp202//dd3/dsd3/syb3/rc2plus 40 boss pedals/ehx superego/fabtone and a te op-1

moogie instructor

Post by moogie instructor » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 am

today is the day my voyager old school returned with a new mainboard and sounds like new calibrated and all and on top of it the golden moog knob was enclosed
:D happyhappy joy joy thanks moog for the perfect service

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:18 pm

My little-used Select Series stopped making oscillator sounds last week. Hope Moog is still fixing these.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Ledbetter,
When was yours made and what is the symptom?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:55 pm

2013, I think. The serial number is within the range set out in this thread. All oscillators have stopped generating sound. Filter sounds can still be produced. :cry: :cry:
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

Nordlicht

Post by Nordlicht » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi guys,

as I'm the original starter of this thread, I just wanted to give you a short feedback, what happened in the meantime:

I returned my new Voyager back to the dealer within the 30 days money-back period.
Why? I wasn't happy with the user software/interface. I got the impression that the hardware part and the software part of the Voyager didn't fit very well together, like two antagonists... Too much things in the menus, not as intuitive as the "analog" user interface. OK, very subjective opinion...
Of course, the sound was outstanding.

Next thing was a second hand Slim Phatty: Wow, what powerful sound this little piece had! Best value for money! But I also sold this one again and "changed" it within a few weeks into a Little Phatty 2 (also used), I still have it and love it
But one negative thing: the multi-assigned knobs. Very uncomfortable.

And I never could forget the incredible sound of the Voyager! And so I observed the secondhand market for a while, and a few weeks ago I fell over a Voyager Oldschool in mint condition.

And I instantly knew: THIS is my instrument!
And it actually is my instrument. It is exactly the thing I always wanted to have: an intuitive, direct user interface with no menus. Just turning knobs, forming the sound, playing. A real musical instrument. It's so gorgeous!

So, finally I have found "my" Moog synthesizer :D

PS1: according to the former owner, the complete main board was changed due to the known oscillator problems (he told me that actually one or two oscillators were defective). So hopefully my OS will be a reliable partner for many years

PS2: of course I also fell in love with the Sub 37 which is IMO the sexiest synth that's built at the moment. And it even would have been cheaper than my OS! But (for my ears) it sounds so thin and rather "harsh", even compared "only" to the SP/LP! It has definitely not the warm and "classic" Moog sound I love so much...
https://www.spektralfarben-music.com

KAWAI ES7, Uhl X3-2, Korg Kronos2-61, Nord Stage 3, Sequential Take 5, Nord Lead A1, Korg Pa3XLe.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:12 pm

Already got an email and RMA from Andy at Moog. Relieved and hopeful. Thinking about sending just the PCB, not the whole unit. Any thoughts? Ahh, Moog. :D

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Follow up. After telling me they had new replacement boards in stock, I sent mine in for replacement, again. Now I am told there are no new replacement boards at this time and no estimate of when one will be available. To say I wish i’d never bought this brick would be an understatement. To be clear, Moog made this instrument with a defective board, then replaced the defective board with another board from a run they knew had defective components.

I can’t help thinking Bob would not have done it this way.